ErnstHienkel

help getting back into it

6 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
14 battles

hey everyone so im fairly new to this. played a little in beta and forgot about it have come back and i really want to enjoy the game but going above teir 2 is just pure pain.

i have from beta the t4 american BB and CL wyoming and pheonix and i am just unable to have fun playing them for 2 different reasons. when i am in the pheonix i just cant find any way to be useful, if i sit back and plink away at max range while dodging shells i find i do little to no damage to anything i can hit and i cant hit anything i can damage, if i try to close into the mid range to deal with destroyers i get rekt by BBs and sniping CAs all it takes is one hit from a BB or 2-3 hits from an avg CA/CL and im completely crippled, i just cant find any opportunities to close to use the torps. how can i make this ship valuable to the team?

now if im in the wyoming i find i can pretty generally hit enemy BBs and do 1 penetrating hit every 2 salvoes, (not sure how to improve gunnery here my shells land all around the enemy ships so im ranging and predicting ok i tink) my experience is that using HE is pointless as hitting 2 shells and dealing 2900 damage is not comparable to hitting 1 and doing 10k the reason i dont enjoy it is i get torped by bombers in every bloody match and i cannot find any way to counter them. ive tried evasive maneuvers whenever there are torp bombers within 5km of me but it makes no difference in almost every match i get torped from one angle turn into it but unable to avoid at least 2 of them and then before my rudder has corrected i eat another 3 from my previous heading. i just dont know how to avoid them / deal with them, my AA is effectively useless and even staying near allies i get rekt by planes consistently

ill freely admit that i am a complete noob (i dont even know which ammo types are best tbh) but its starting to seem like CVs are just like sky cancer artillery from WoT in that they just come in and crap on you and that once the CV player on the red team has decided you need to go you may as well go back to port because your match is already over.

any tips would be appreciated

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,815 battles

There are captain skills that boost your AA power:

Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, (Manual AA).

And your AA gets a 30% boost when you select a squad by holding Ctrl and clicking it.

Players
2,110 posts
21,525 battles

It's not easy to get into this game, take your time. You can always play tier 2/3 if it's better for your learning needs right now. It's not easy to answer your questions of how to play cruisers and BBs. Most of it comes with experience.

CVs were nerfed into the ground, especially tier 4 and 5. Only good CV players can delete you in one go if you make a mistake. But you can do that to a cruiser as well. In addition to Cornflakes' tip which is especially strong for US BBs, try to stay with your teammates when there are CVs around. Your combined AA will shoot down more planes.

Players
25 posts
1,396 battles

you tube is your friend and aslo the wiki i read up on each ship to find its strengths and weakness , then its practice time , also have noticed the maps does pay to learn where the good places are . and also where your team mates go .when you take damage good idea to angle your ship and circle zig zag .

hope that helps mind you i only play coop but would say it would work there as well

wish you well

Players
2 posts
14 battles

thanks for the replies. i shall definately try the squad and commander skills. and see if that helps. think ill be taking to youtube to get cruiser help, i may focus on getting a good AA cruiser and trying to protect allies from planes, see how effective i can be at that

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

Cruisers are hardmode. any other type is easier. The reason why you take massive damage is your citadel gets hit with AP (or HE is the armor is particularly worthless like on Kirov). So what do you do? Well, cruisers are supposed to be pros at dodging and US cruisers in particular turn well. But it requires situational awareness (and the Priority Target skill can help a lot), which is the most important skill to master in the game. It also helps to know what you can bounce with your armor and at what angles. If you look at the armor view, you'll see US cruisers have high citadels, which is both good and bad since it helps you bounce AP when angled, but if it does go through, then it really hurts. Other cruisers have low citadels which are harder to hit but don't help you to avoid taking regular penetrations.

Now, for an AA cruiser, Cleveland has lots of AA and the Defensive AA consumable, but otoh, the guns have short effective range because of how high they shoot. So it's more of a brawler than a fleet support ship. If you want a long-range cruiser that can stick with the BBs and fight at the same range while supporting them with AA or hydro, Yorck would be a good choice.