Boris_MNE

I need ... professional for graphic card

Question

Hiya guys!

I have visited almost every store in town who is selling or fixing PCs/Laptops to help me to solve problems but lack of knowledge is common here! DUH!

I have AMD graphic card and I need some guides for AMD settings so please if you are into that, very much. Drop me message I will answer shortly with ALL details.

Thank you

Boris :)

1 person likes this

22 answers to this question

A bit more info would be nice. There are enough people here that can help you solve the problem(s). :Smile_honoring:

easy answer, sell your amd card and buy a nvidia card instead...

i had all sorts of problems playing tanks with my R9 380 4gb - support told me to roll back 3 versions of the drivers, in the end they said it was my 11 month old pc, i had to stop playing (but that brought me here) so i bought a gtx 1060 6gb, problems solved...

1 person likes this

1 Boris should be happily playing with his AMD gpu atm :)

2. Boris has a laptop, sure I think it's mxm but you go look for a 'nice Nvidia mxm' module and then tell someone who needs to ask for help how to switch his modules, and then help him sell the amd one to recoup some of the money. 

3. I have 20k+ games in WoT, latest all with the same hd7850 as I'm still using now, never any issue. 

Sorry man, anecdotal evidence and all that ;)

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Salentine said:

easy answer, sell your amd card and buy a nvidia card instead...

i had all sorts of problems playing tanks with my R9 380 4gb - support told me to roll back 3 versions of the drivers, in the end they said it was my 11 month old pc, i had to stop playing (but that brought me here) so i bought a gtx 1060 6gb, problems solved...

I've use ATi/AMD over the years and they've given me trouble. The last straw was my R9 290 which needed a voltage hike or it would crash whilst in Windows...

I'd rather pay more and go Nvidia. I bought a 1070, no idea why as this is the most I play these days.

1 hour ago, mtm78 said:

1 Boris should be happily playing with his AMD gpu atm :)

2. Boris has a laptop, sure I think it's mxm but you go look for a 'nice Nvidia mxm' module and then tell someone who needs to ask for help how to switch his modules, and then help him sell the amd one to recoup some of the money. 

3. I have 20k+ games in WoT, latest all with the same hd7850 as I'm still using now, never any issue. 

Sorry man, anecdotal evidence and all that ;)

The issue with swapping mxm cards is that a lot of things can give you problems.

1) custom cards for manufacturers. I've seen manufacturers get cards with the pcb reversed, and that meant that no other mxm cards would fit in with the exception of the ones made for the brand. Some other times they get them in weird formats that won't fit other brands.

2) bios support. Again, manufacturers like to make your life a nightmare. For example, doing as much as swapping the wifi card (a component 2x3cm big) can make your notebook stop to boot completely if the card is not in your vendor list. Imagine a vga card...

3) cooling. If you get a card that produces significantly more heat than what was planned for your notebook model, the cooling system might not be able to bear it. The lifespan of the card will probably be much lower than expected, provided the system is able to work smoothly and without heat-related crashes.

4) last, but not least, is where you're buying the new mxm card. A good 80% of the cards on sale are refurbished, and a number of them was reworked. I've seen people get a "new" one, only to see it die in a couple of months. Be sure to get some kind of warranty on the card you're buying.

Edit: of course this whole thing applies to his notebook ONLY if he's got an mxm card. It could be integrated in the motherboard for all I know..

Laptop gfx card?

I'm interested to hear about sourcing these. 

I run a cube chameleon custom which has anow nvidia 980m card. 

Whilst it runs wows well and has mega cooling (strictly headphones as it's noisy a f) I would like to replace as it's 3 years old.  CPU is i7 and it has 16gb of RAM so I think it's still viable. 

It's a clevo case so huge for a lappy. 

No joy in sourcing a card though.  Google suggests you just replace the lappy although mine is modular so should be possible?

In general though, if your hardware is 3-4 years old, then any sort of gpu upgrade is going to be fairly ineffective (assuming you actually set it up with a usable one to begin with). A mid to high end card will just be cpu bound, and a budget card might not even be a real upgrade at all. As in the example above a 980M (a card that should still be quite viable, especially for games with as low reqs as this one) would require a quite decently high jump (at least a gtx 1060 or equivalent) to be anything like a meaningful upgrade.

Ie, you're far better off building and upgrading all performance parts at the same time. If something breaks you find something along the lines of what you already had, unless you're so close to a full upgrade (and you know how the future lineup for the hardware is) then you might want to splurge for something new to use after the upgrade. As for laptops that more or less just means replacing the entire thing as often as you need/can afford, few things are worth upgrading there, aside RAM and maybe storage.

My i7 3770 is well over that age I am quite sure a gpu upgrade would give me good results. CPU bound bottlenecks aren't as frequent at this time, not unless you bought a severely limited cpu in the first place. In case of his laptop cpu is a i5 at 2.6 and his gpu was I think 86xx/87xxM with 6gb of DDR3 video memory ( 32gb/s which is slow for gpu ). The problem with the gpu is the memory being DDR3, you're better of with a faster variant with half the amount of ram ( or even less ). 

As you say it depends entirely on what you're willing to upgrade to. I don't think I5 would be a good pair with a gtx1080ti ( they also make them in mxm iirc ). But it would be a big boost to an 1060 or perhaps even 1050TI even. Not sure what AMD has atm in mxm form as newest variants?

Nvidia cards (Expensive, but great quality) > AMD cards (Cheap, but ... quality on them). I have been once AMD user very very long time but after while I think it was big mistake so I jumped to NVIDIA camp and I'm been happy for it loooong time.

Cool stuff guys.  Used to build pc's and oc them but I'm way out of touch now. 

My concern was the gfx card going pop but I don't clock that.  

Performance is still good so I'll just get another lappy in a year. 

Why not invest in a desktop, if you need the laptop for work then keep it but you can buy a second hand desktop on ebay that will play this game with ease for much less than a good spec laptop GPU 

I have an old one gathering dust. I work overseas so need mobile gaming. 

Dragging a 17" clevo based laptop is a pain at airports but worth it for the gaming. 

I had this post ready where I was going to tell you how BTO is an OEM and ODM manufacturer and Clevo get's the barebone's from them.. but I felt uncomfortable about it and I just checked and it's BTO which uses Clevo barebone's :Smile_hiding:

https://www.bto.eu/

edit: it's one of the best ODM's, Clevo that is.. not BTO.

1 person likes this

I've got some Clevo thing, it's old but still runs stuff amazingly. Something to do with the 7950 Crossfire in there... 

Normally I use a desktop but I've got a laptop too.

1 hour ago, MeTaLMooSe said:

I have an old one gathering dust. I work overseas so need mobile gaming. 

Dragging a 17" clevo based laptop is a pain at airports but worth it for the gaming. 

Do you have to transport a cooling pad too? Mine needs it or simply overheats. I've cut out the bottom vents and reapplied paste etc too 

I got it through Box uk that used Cube (Chameleon GTX7) in 2014. Just another Clevo chassis with whatever you wanna pay for inside.

Amazingly huge and heavy but never missed a beat (touching wood frantically).

Cooling is not an issue. It has a manual fan button which lights up the wind tunnel fan and deafens you! (headphones essential)

Desktops involved me mucking about monthly shoving the latest must have into it and testing it relentlessly. These gaming laptops are superb but I miss the ergonomics of separate keyboard and monitor. And to think my daughter is now benefitting from a huge monitor and mechanical keyboard!

Reckon I'll have a look around in 6mths time.

I was just getting edgy as I've hammered it for gaming and wanted the option to slot a new gfx module in case.

Having played WoT then WoWs with a few 'must play' interventions has seriously reduced my hardware expenditure. I remember when Bethedsda's Oblivion came out it pretty much outstripped all current hardware. Much frantic oc'ing and smoke ensued followed by new hardware until the next mod for came out and the cycle began again!

On 11.8.2017 at 11:44 AM, mtm78 said:

Just checked your profile. 

You should give the Maus another chance. :Smile_great: