You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
mrk421

A 'Suggestions' section

10 comments in this topic

Question

Players
430 posts
4,269 battles

Despite the skepticism of many people, I think that having a dedicated Q&A section is a very nice idea that could have tremendous potential, IF handled responsibly by the community. With that in mind:

- Would you consider having a dedicated forum section for ideas and suggestions of new features the players would like to see in the game?

In relation to that, do you even consider ideas proposed by players as a source of inspiration for new features at least? Or is there no point for us to even think about what could be done to improve the game since the developers will not consider any of it anyway?

In case you DO at least occasionally consider ideas put forth by the player base, having a dedicated 'suggestions' section could be immensely useful, I think...

9 answers to this question

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

1 hour ago, Kandly said:

Isn't the main point making the players' needs and wishes visible to the developers?

Yes. But I assume this isn't exclusive to that thread ( community team is supposed to gather needs and wishes continuously throughout forum / other media / events ).

If there is a thread exclusively titled 'Suggestions' I do expect more interaction. 

1 hour ago, Kandly said:

It would be absolutely impossible to come back to a suggestion with a "yes" right after it was posted, even weeks after it was posted, especially since they're mostly in-game suggestions for features and always involve code tweaking. These things usually take ages.

What I would 'like' is this:

Idea get's posted -> cm team relays to dev team if needed ( might be an idea which is known to cm team so no need to bother dev team ).

dev team glances and says -> this is nonsense ( preferably followed with a 'because' ) -> CM team relays back

dev team glances and says -> we think this might work, or touches upon something important, we will get back on this -> CM team relays this. 

---------------- bunch of nothing to indicate dev's working and players playing --------------------

dev team contacts CM's and says -> this idea from XYZ, we looked at it and this is what we think of it -> CM team relays

---------------- bunch of nothing to indicate dev's working and players playing --------------------

CM team makes announcement on upcoming PTS, and can even link to suggestions or questions from players which been addressed in that patch. 

Also, it would REALLY allow you to get more valuable feedback. I can't like EVERY thing proposed there which I want to, I CAN upvote everything and downvote everything in a proper suggestions section. This voting system might not work in public forum section where posts are done mostly on opinions and ego's, but a suggestions forum should be free of this ( just as a question section, and you agree with this or you wouldn't have done that already ). 

Ofc I realize the above is basically giving community more information about development process and direction while also allowing community to properly structure it's feedback. and that is exactly what my point with it would be

Edit: anon voting is so pathetic. How about making votes public so we can see who is saying what ( and deduct why... ). 

Players
430 posts
4,269 battles

Thank you for the support mtm78!

Here's my reasoning of what the benefits/advantages could be of having a dedicated suggestions' section instead of a mammoth summary thread/dedicated threads in the general Gameplay section. But before I get to that I'd like to acknowledge TheCinC for starting the suggestions collection thread - I think that's a superb thing that he's done - and also express my joy that the thread in question has been pinned.

Spoiler

BTW I recently made a suggestion in the suggestions thread (post nr 169) which was meant to be taken jokingly. But apparently some people may have taken it seriously and commented on how that would be a nice feature to have. So I'd like to say that I hope no-one is actually looking into it...

So WHY consider having a separate section dedicated to suggestions:

- In the 'Gameplay' section, suggestions can easily disappear beneath the multitude of regular topics that pop up every hour - sometimes worthwhile suggestions. And many suggestions might be missed altogether

- The suggestions thread in the 'Gameplay' section is and excellent starting point, however it's not an ideal place to have discussion about specific suggestions - it will get too messy with many suggestions involved. Also, even in that thread, some suggestions might go unnoticed, if the first post is not updated frequently enough

- In addition to the above, a lot of ideas might require a longer explanation than would be appropriate in the suggestions thread and would preferably have a dedicated topic (which leads back to the first point)

- Not all ideas people have would be appreciated by a significant fraction of the player base. In fact, some might cause a general uproar if they were even considered. By having the ability of forum members to vote 'up' or 'down' a particular suggestion, it would be easier to distinguish, which ideas can be dismissed from the start

- On the flip side, with the ability to vote on suggestions, it would be much easier for the developers to determine, what sort of tweaks people are looking for or what the player base would like to see in a more general sense.

TLDR; The benefits of having a section dedicated to suggestions/ideas would fall into two broad categories: their visibility and it would make it more obvious to determine what sort of tweaks the player base would like to see.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
20 minutes ago, Kandly said:

Hey!

We could be looking into that, but to be honest I don't think this is a priority right now, since we already have a dedicated topic in Gameplay. Considering the amount of suggestions received there, it seems manageable for now, but we can of course look into tweaking this in the future if needed.

Cheers,

Kandly

And if you see the activity in that thread and the amount of feedback on suggestions in that thread, you can't really tell me you think that is 'working as intended'?

I think that was @mrk421's whole point?

Players
406 posts
619 battles
15 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

And if you see the activity in that thread and the amount of feedback on suggestions in that thread, you can't really tell me you think that is 'working as intended'?

I think that was @mrk421's whole point?

The suggestions are gathered from there and centralized no matter the amount of staff posts in the thread. Therefore, it does work as intended. It would be absolutely impossible to come back to a suggestion with a "yes" right after it was posted, even weeks or months after it was posted, especially since they're mostly in-game suggestions for features and always involve code tweaking. These things usually take ages. Isn't the main point making the players' needs and wishes visible to the developers? I don't know how much it would help if a community staff member replies to each post there, just to mention that the suggestion is on its way to the devs. I'd prefer having your suggestions looked at and their implementation confirmed first, so that I can come back to the thread later on and let you know that "hey, this is actually happening".

Players
430 posts
4,269 battles

@Ferry_25 I believe if you read my posts, it should be quite clear that I'm aware of the thread you're referring to. If it wasn't, then yes, I know of that thread and have posted some of my own suggestions there as well.

What I'm trying to say is that while that thread in the gameplay section is absolutely a great thing, there are limitations to its potential. Limitations that could be dealt with if there was a whole dedicated forum section...

Players
430 posts
4,269 battles

@Kandly So it looks like the Q&A section has come alive a bit. Unfortunately it seems to have brought with it a decline in developer/staff interaction with this section.

...but that's not my point. What I wanted to say is that if you follow this section, you'll notice, that at least half of the questions posted here, are actually SUGGESTIONS, presented as questions. Same goes for the General section, where most of the topics that aren't whining, are suggestions of features people would like to see in the game, or about game balance improvements etc. I AM AWARE that there is a topic in the General section dedicated to suggestions, but considering the amount of ideas and feedback people on these forums provide, a singular topic is by far not enough. Main reason being that not all suggestions make it to the topic in the first place, AND you can't really discuss these suggestions withing that topic in a meaningful way.

So with that in mind, I think a separate Q&A section is definitely warranted and should be a rather high priority - that is, in case the developers actually care about player feedback and getting inspiration from them or at least from somewhere other than the bottom of a vodka bottle*.

The way I see it, there would be a couple of major benefits to having a separate section dedicated to suggestions:

1) you could have meaningful discussion about each suggestion separately AND

2) If the 'voting up' a suggestion feature was not bugged like it seems to be on the Q&A section currently, the developers would have an easier time figuring out which proposals would be highly regarded by players and might therefore be worth looking into. Of course the upvoting system could be prone to being abused, but if enough players embrace the Suggestions section I don't think it would be a real issue.

*I apologise. I didn't mean that literally, nor did I have anyone specific in mind. Just couldn't help but express my frustration about a lot of the changes that have been made to this game over time.

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

Bit late to the party, but just wanted to add, if anyone has any suggestions on how better to manage the Suggestions thread, let me know.

I've added a line in the OP of that thread, asking if anyone wants me to keep updating the index, to see if it is actually being used, as it had become a bit of a chore.

So far, NO ONE has responded to that question, so needless to say, I've not made that a priority.. :Smile-_tongue:

That said, I am very proud of that thread, thinks it fulfils a need and want to keep it viable.

If there's anything I can do to make it better, let me know.

I of course do not have admin rights, so I can't do a clean up of the thread, or anything like that.

Also, judging by the way it is used, the OP if more often ignored than read, even the bold text gets overlooked.

So, yes, there are limits to the thread, but who knows, maybe we can do better.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

parallel on topic: (OP: open gameplay section and you'll see it's the second pinned thread). I'm wondering of WG is looking at this thread as well. I'd love to see some feedback (other than Kandly has done by pinning it, despite it wasn't "hot" at the time). Even if it'd were to be GTFO!! That's a ridiculous suggestion. IMO there are very valid suggestions made there. WG: you'd really rise in my opinion ( and I think of many other players) if you'd give some response to the suggestions made. FFS: we are thinking FOR you for free...

Players
406 posts
619 battles

Hey!

We could be looking into that, but to be honest I don't think this is a priority right now, since we already have a dedicated topic in Gameplay. Considering the amount of suggestions received there, it seems manageable for now, but we can of course look into tweaking this in the future if needed.

Cheers,

Kandly