Semi "newcomer" looking for premium ship

9 comments in this topic

Question

[WOB]
Players
33 posts
6,187 battles

Hi guys,

To be honest hard to say that i'm typical newcomer. I had occasion to play for some time, when we had only USN and  IJN ships, and played totally below average. Later i gave second chance, and started russian cruiser - again played rather average. Third time - something like 2 months ago, i gave third chance to the game (or my skills) and I started using braing... So i feel like newcomer, because I can finally say that i'm good. Of course, still have a long road to play great, but still, I't really rare not be in top 3. 

Anyway, to make long story short - I want to contribute to WG, and buy for myself premium ship. Problem is, that I'm living in country, where  price of VIII tier ship compared to median earning after taxes is close to be 10 %...  In this case i can afford only one of them and it's make me a headache which should i buy.

For now i have

Main - Russian cruiser line. I played quite good on Budionny ( 1300  warships.today score on ranked and two time 5 kills at one match), and even Schors which is  pretty average ships, but still i make average 50k dmg. I think Chapayev will be great for me.

Second - American bb line - where i love... New Mexico. Totally. That was pain in the [edited]to learn this ship.  Shot spread is bad, range is bad... A lot of time when i had 40% hp  and first chance to hit back. But when you hit back from 10km to broadsided bb which thinks that his victory is sure.... that 30k dmg per hit was totaly worth. Now i have Colorado, and after 3 matches i can't say that is bad ship, but ...

Third - Furutaka. I heard bad opinion about him... but again - that was "my ship".  Playing wisely give a lot of opportunities to give hard times any cruiser of it's tier.  Also, great torpedoes angle gave me some bb kills. Now i have Aoba, and even if it's good ship - worse torpedoes and higher matchmaking make this ship worse than Furry Taco in my eyes.

In dd plays i'm to inconsistent to say if i like them or not

To finally make a point... :D I'm thinking about 4 ships. Kutuzov, Atago, Tirpitz, and Belfast Of course i want a ships which is considered at least good (op would be great :D), and give me chance to make monies :P. Would be nice to feel familiar but not feel "the same like XYZ but better". For a long time Kutuzov was leader, but if Chapayev is really good ship too, it is worth to take Kutuzov with similar feeling of guns?

8 answers to this question

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,815 battles

The OP ships of these are Kutuzov and Belfast.

However, I would not recommend buying a premium ship of a higher tier than your regular ships. And especially Belfast is hard to play without enough experience with other british CLs.

You should either take the Kutusov or play british CLs up to Fiji and then take Belfast.

• Cool 2

[WOB]
Players
33 posts
6,187 battles

Yeah, right - on British i've got only to Emerald, and played him only one or two matches so i still not get mechanics of their cruisers. As you said - Belfast is not a good idea.

Okay Kutuzov sounds as most wise idea. But I'm pretty scared, that Chapy and Kutuzow is to similar to each other :(

How about Tirpitz compared to North Caroline

Or Atago compared to his counterpart from tech tree

Anyway, thanks for respond!

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,815 battles

Tirpitz and NoCa are totally different. But Alabama is very similar to NoCa so maybe take her into account.

I can't say anything about Atago/Mogami because I don't have them.

• Cool 1

[WOB]
Players
33 posts
6,187 battles

Okay, thank you. One thing, because i see that i didn't make it clear - being different is somehow in plus. So if Tirpitz give another experience than NoCa is advantage. You know, i want to feel something different. Anyway - had you occassion to play Kutuzov in compare with Chappy? I will not feel that it's just better ship, but the same as Chappy?  I don't want to double myself the same experience.

Anyway i think that I buy Kutuzov in 90%, only Tirpitz shomehow looking for me interesting, especially that i'm exhausted american 21 kts  bb, and i love brawling style in which (if I'm not wrong) Tirp is good. Hmm, but if i buy Kutuzov, I will have 6k spare dubloons so i can buy my native precious ship - Błyskawica.  But... if i sell kidney i can have both and a Błyskawica!

Well, as you see I'm very determined man, who knows what he wants! :D

Supertester
316 posts
7,530 battles

Okay i will try to answer all you question regarding your concerns about those ships.

Tirpitz:

Is technically just a Bismark but with torpedos instead of Hydro. So if you would later on go down the German BB line you will probably realize that Tirpitz and Bismark are technicaly the same ship with the same layout.

Kutuzov:

Since i have both Kutuzov and Tchapayev i will tell you that bot are kinda Similar but Play complettly differntly. Kutuzov has good Range of 19km and has Smoke but sadly does not have Radar (what Tchapayev gets) but instead recieves a Smoke.

So Kutuzov is more for camping at the back and Tchapayev is more for Getting bit closer to light up the enemie DD's from pushing into Caps.

Atago:

She is a good solid and without a doubt one of the best T8 CA's in the game but is hard to handle. She playes complettly different from all the other IJN CA's since she is from the Takao Class and those are not in the game. She is the only CA with Heal in T8. Great torpedos and also nice fire chance. Additionally she has hard hitting HE salvos.

Belfast:

To be honest she is awesome because has a lot of tools BUT please dont buy her yet since she is just squischy if you don't know what you really want to do with her.

Alabama:

She is more of the ship that you would want if you want to continue the Grind down the US BB line. She has the Same AA and same Firepower as the NC but is smaller and has a good Armor Belt so it's less forgiving in the regards of doing error's in torpedo avoiding.

My Feedback:

I would suggest you should buy a Premium Ship for the Nation you would be interessted in since it is more of a benefit if you also can Retrain your Captain's on those Premium Ships. Since you will not need to retrain your captains for Premium Ships and you can just Start retraining other Captains for other Ships without getting into the minus.

Well i hope i was able to help you. If you have more question, feel free to ask more here or even if you want just pm me ;)

Happy Sailing :cap_cool:

• Cool 2

[WOB]
Players
33 posts
6,187 battles

I think, both of you, gave me everything which i need to know. I'll buy Kutuzov, and consider buying Błyskawica (or premium). 

See you in game, then!

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Seeing your record my advice would be Kutuzov. Atago I'd recommend much later: you're only with Aoba now. The T8's get thrown into lots of T10 matches. That is, believe me: I made that mistake, too big of a leap coming from 6. In your case I'd highly advice against Tirpitz. You don't have any experience in German BB's. Belfast I'm giving neutral advice to you.

• Cool 1

Players
590 posts
5,376 battles

I'll echo the advice above to not buy a premium more than one tier above ships that you already have of the same line - otherwise you won't know how to play it, and may find that you don't like it.

As an alternative to the T7&8 premiums that you mentioned - if you like the New Mexico, how about an Arizona?