You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Alternative IJN DD line tier X?

7 comments in this topic

Question

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Is WG considering to mature the current IJN DD sub-branch into a fullblown line with a tier X down the way?

The current top of the line at tier VIII with the Akizuki is insanely fun to play and imho easy tier IX material with a couple tweaks (mostly manouverability, that thing handles quite poorly for a DD). Also, if moved to tier IX, that would give a rather easy way to introduce a Super Akizuki (essentially the same as the existing Akizuki, just a bit faster, a bit more 25mm AA guns and a quintuple torpedo launcher) as the tier X and oh boy would I love that! Also, at tier IX and X, one could offer the option to mount Defensive AA instead of the Torpedo Reload Boost (considering the Akizuki class were AA DDs) at the expense of torpedo damage potential.

Not sure what one could put into tier VIII though, but I'm sure with the plethora of designs and class modifications an enthusiast could find something to put there.

• Cool 1

6 answers to this question

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
9,363 battles

As far as i know we do not want to have the line hanging at Tier VIII forever - however we need to find two suitable ships to pad the line. 

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
1 minute ago, Tuccy said:

As far as i know we do not want to have the line hanging at Tier VIII forever - however we need to find two suitable ships to pad the line. 

Well, as I mentioned, one could be the proposed Super-Akizuki, a design to migitate one of the Akizuki's weaknesses in form of her poor topspeed (Super-Akizuki would do around 36-37 knots topspeed, which is whilst not great very much servicable at tier X) and build up a bit on AA and torpedo armament (there's various designs regarding the torpedo armament with single quintuple, single pentuple or two triple launchers, I believe the quintuple would work best as a slight escalation of the Akizuki's single quadruple launcher). Dimensionwise she'd be essentially the same, meaning equal or at least similar detectability and HP. The 4x2 Type 98 DP guns are plenty good main battery armament for tier X.

If we were to assume a Super-Akizuki as the tier X, then the vanilla Akizuki would work well as the tier IX with perhaps a couple tweaks.

Only the tier VIII is an empty slot that I have no idea with what to fill it, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable about IJN ship designs.

And really, I just want to see more Akizuki fun. I flippin' love that ship!!!

4180a086af77b886971d7ad4934e3bde.jpg

Moar plz!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

And really, I just want to see more Akizuki fun.

I approve. But make it an Akizuki without a 700m+ turning radius, or give it some speed... 

edit:

I don't get this section.... Accepted answer -> we need two ships to pad the line....

Reply -> here you have already one with the Akizuki proposals ( which btw would also FINALLY get IJN back on track as purely torpedo focused gameplay has been killed off already, and having a full hybrid or gunboat line would mean IJN suddenly is viable again ).

The question wasn't, 'what do you say about maybe making more IJN DD's?' .... we already know there are two empty spots. This isn't a 'closed question' it's a question which is still open. 

Just taking this question as example, there are many others. 

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

edit: double post.... forum layout makes that easy.

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
9,363 battles
3 hours ago, mtm78 said:

The question wasn't, 'what do you say about maybe making more IJN DD's?' .... we already know there are two empty spots. This isn't a 'closed question' it's a question which is still open. 

Just taking this question as example, there are many others. 

The question is answered, as far as current state of game and this Q+A session goes. The answer is not likely to change for quite some time and we generally tend not to talk about ships that are far off. 

By the way marking answer as "best answer" does NOT close the topic. It however indicates, that the topic got an answer according to the general rule above.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

edit:

3 hours ago, Tuccy said:

The question is answered, as far as current state of game and this Q+A session goes. The answer is not likely to change for quite some time and we generally tend not to talk about ships that are far off. 

By the way marking answer as "best answer" does NOT close the topic. It however indicates, that the topic got an answer according to the general rule above.

Where is this state defined? 

KGAYM6H.png

That seems to imply a question can span multiple patches?