You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Carnivore81

Gun Marks

11 comments in this topic

Question

[1DSF]
Moderator, In AlfaTesters
3,356 posts
8,413 battles

Will there be Gun Marks in the Future like in WoT or something Similar.

10 answers to this question

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
9,389 battles

I would dispute that "cosmetic" is not important. There are plenty of people going for cosmetic only items, be it commemorative flags (which can be indication of how long a player is in game ;)), fancy camouflages (all said and done, permanent camo does not offer anything over Premium camo or, gameplay wise, over normal credit camo. Special skins like Bismarck, Hood or Dunkerque have does not add anything on top of normal permanent camo...).

Overall right now for players, who take part in Ranked, you can see their positions in battle roster - not really planning to have specific "marks of excellence" on ships. That does not mean they won't appear ever in some form (though probably not in the same form as WoT), but right now we are working on other things re. customization.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

This has been asked before it's certainly in the big Q&A thread on multiple occasions. So far the answer was that it wasn't priority but it might get added at some time.

The difficulty would be chosing decals to display it. If it's to small, due to the scale of ships, you can't see it. Too big and it's immersion breaking.

Then people suggested that marks are useless ( me.. ) as they are generic, I can see win rate or rating why do I need marks. Now if the marks actually represented something usefull, like them indicating if a ship is running defensive AAA or hydro... and if the captain is trained with AFT or not.. and if the player actually shot down a high average number of the strike planes in games he been in... now that would be excellent information to have. Or a DD which is 'marked' as an excellent 'torpedo spotter'  and 'cap contester', I know what I should do to support him. 

Marks should indicate success in a specific part of the gameplay to have the most 'usefulness'. 

• Cool 2

Players
406 posts
619 battles

Hey Carnivore81!

Are you referring to the Marks of Excellence?

Marks of Excellence

These marks will show off your prowess at driving a vehicle in comparison to other players who also use that particular model. The parameter determining the rating and how many marks you get (which is also dependent on the nation, see below) is the average damage you inflict and assist (spotting and detracking damage) while using that particular tank.

I'm not sure if anything similar to this is planned for WoWs, but I can always include it as a suggestion in my report. :fish_book:

[1DSF]
3,356 posts
8,413 battles
2 minutes ago, Kandly said:

Hey Carnivore81!

Are you referring to the Marks of Excellence?

Marks of Excellence

These marks will show off your prowess at driving a vehicle in comparison to other players who also use that particular model. The parameter determining the rating and how many marks you get (which is also dependent on the nation, see below) is the average damage you inflict and assist (spotting and detracking damage) while using that particular tank.

I'm not sure if anything similar to this is planned for WoWs, but I can always include it as a suggestion in my report. :fish_book:

Yes Marks of Excellence .  I wasnt Sure about the english Word .:cap_book:

THX 

[1DSF]
3,356 posts
8,413 battles
4 hours ago, mtm78 said:

This has been asked before it's certainly in the big Q&A thread on multiple occasions. So far the answer was that it wasn't priority but it might get added at some time.

The difficulty would be chosing decals to display it. If it's to small, due to the scale of ships, you can't see it. Too big and it's immersion breaking.

Then people suggested that marks are useless ( me.. ) as they are generic, I can see win rate or rating why do I need marks. Now if the marks actually represented something usefull, like them indicating if a ship is running defensive AAA or hydro... and if the captain is trained with AFT or not.. and if the player actually shot down a high average number of the strike planes in games he been in... now that would be excellent information to have. Or a DD which is 'marked' as an excellent 'torpedo spotter'  and 'cap contester', I know what I should do to support him. 

Marks should indicate success in a specific part of the gameplay to have the most 'usefulness'. 

Maybe they are useless .But so are Tattos but you see them alot. :cap_look:Its just Cosmetic .  

Players
2,774 posts
17,292 battles

Haven't the devs been looking at funnel stripes based on performance for a while?

That's why we don't see any in game. (see Anthony vs Gallant)

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
9 hours ago, Carnivore81 said:

Maybe they are useless .But so are Tattos but you see them alot. :cap_look:Its just Cosmetic .  

You seem to have missed the actual important tidbits in that post, but alas if you want to downvote it because you feel 'cosmetic' is better then useful :Smile_hiding: 

[1DSF]
3,356 posts
8,413 battles
38 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

You seem to have missed the actual important tidbits in that post, but alas if you want to downvote it because you feel 'cosmetic' is better then useful :Smile_hiding: 

sry my english is Not so Good.  if i misunderstood something im sorry :fish_book::cap_book:

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
53 minutes ago, Carnivore81 said:

sry my english is Not so Good.  if i misunderstood something im sorry :fish_book::cap_book:

Well you mention marks are a nice addition if 'useless' as it's just 'cosmetic'. First of all, if a change is just cosmetic it does nothing for gameplay and should have the lowest possible priority. Secondly, it would be possible to create something which actually would add something valuable to marks if they were tied with specific parts of gameplay. Like I explained, it is not useful ( and thus indeed just cosmetic ) to know if someone is 'above average player in his ship'. That just tells me he is not bad. It doesn't tell me anything about how he plays his ship.

Now change generic 'marks' based on damage dealing, with something actually useful like indicating if a ship/captain will be helpful to you in any given situation like vs carrier planes. Or if a ship/captain is very good at spotting. Or at contesting caps. Those are things which is they are visible to me through 'marks', I can use that information to better support others in my team. It should enhance gameplay in random battles that way. a bit like how good players can use XVM, but without the toxic side effect XVM can have for mediocre or bad players. 

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

But camouflage is actually intended to be mostly cosmetic ( even though I always sell those useless type I and III if I got the numbers/names right ).

I personally also STRONGLY dislike the display of 'ranked' rank in random battles, there seem to be people who think that if you have a high rank it means you're a good player and your opinion should have more weight as others.... 

In the matter as proposed, marking could actually add something to gameplay besides just being cosmetic. I think there must be historical references as well, are there no ships which had decals about operations they been in ( so they are 'experienced' at that type of gameplay )? What if you give a ship which is specced for AAA and has good results in AAA screening a decal from some famous battle involving lots of airplanes attacking a naval force? And this I feel can be extrapolated to other aspects of gameplay as well.