• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

Question

The most fundamental question is why to switch to AP bombs and how does the armor work?

Other than the reduced drop pattern (in case of the Big E) they provide one thing only - a shock and awe effect of instant damage. I can do better or same damage with HE bombs+ time and the HE bombs are not completely useless against other classes (also getting overpens on a BBs with AP bombs really sucks).

How is the penetration/explosion calculated - is the penetration reduced by superstructure (and its armor) or is olny the deck armor counted? 

One minor gripe with the drop pattern too it really incites the use of autodrop (Big E again) why is that?

5 answers to this question

Hello!

AP bombs are similar in their functional principle to AP shells. They have caliber, fuse and speed at the point of impact. They can also penetrate, non-penetrate, over-penetrate, ricochet and just miss:) And they haven't got splash, only direct damage.

So, you are dropping AP bombs on a ship, possibly on a battleship, possibly on a German battleship. Let’s consider life path of one of those bombs.

In case of Enterprise bombers, AP bomb’s dropped perpendicularly to the water plane. This is important remark, because target ship can lay a maneuver at this moment and its deck can be inclined. So, bomb doesn’t always land on a deck at angle of 90 degrees.

Then, AP bomb passes the same checks as a AP shell.

1. Rule ’14,3 caliber’. Of course, AP bomb has a caliber - 305mm for Enterprise’s AP bombs. If the armor thickness is less than 1/14.3 of shell's/bomb’s caliber, a ricochet does not occur regardless of armor encounter angle.

2. Check for a ricochet. As a reminder, the bomb doesn’t always land perpendicularly on a deck. If a ricochet happened, then makes check for fuse arming.

3. Calculation of armor-piercing, if there was no ricochet. Current armor-piercing of the bomb is compared with effective armor. Effective armor is armor with the angle of impact taken into account. If there was no penetration, then the bomb explodes immediately. And if it happened inside the ship, damage would be done to the part where it exploded.

4. Check for fuse arming. If the bomb is arming, then after a while it will explode.

So far, fuse delay is pretty much the same as for ordinary AP shells. If it’s arming on deck, AP bomb is able to get into the citadel and explode there.

2 people like this

Borrowing from @Sub_Octavian :)

Enterprise AP bombs arm at 70 mm and penetrate around 184 mm. So horizontal armor of a target really matters - overall ships . Later, we may add AP bombs with different values and they will interact with other ships differently. I have passed the question along, but by default I guess the superstructure does count both in the penetration and in the arming.

The difference between auto drop and manual is around 20. However, the angle of approach really matters, as the drop pattern is very stretched - in any case using manual drop still increases significantly chance of hitting not necessarily the target itself but the vulnerable areas on the target.

As for the difference, shock and awe of instant damage might be the thing needed to put enemy BB out of combat (and preventing him from healing). Similar tot he British cruiser AP effect on battleships, sure it does not trigger the fire, but... ;)

1 person likes this

That I have seen - I have probably missrepresented my question, I'll try to elaborate:

let us assume that I am attacking a BB and my bomb hits the roof of the superstructure - now assuming it's flat (by the way can AP bombs ricoshet? If so how is their caliber calculated?). What happens next? 

The roof itself has not enough armor (lets say 15 mm) to arm the fuse, so the bomb continues through more layers of the ship with its arming distance reduced(if we use the 15 mm roof let's say it needs now 55 mm more armor to arm? So next we have the armored deck lets say it's 56 mm thick so the bomb arms and continues in deeper into the ship. Now comes the confusing part - let's say that there are 2 meters of space between the armored deck and citadel roof - how is it calculated if the bomb explodes above the cit or in it? With shells it's easy we know the fuse delay and shell velocity, however with bombs we don't. So in our case lets assume that the citadel roof is 20 mm so we have enough penetration to go through. and lastly we have the bottom of the ship (and getting the armor viewer to show the bottom thickness is a real pain). Here we too have some space inside the citadel and I'm assuming that the bomb can explode inside in two possible situations - either it doesn't have enough penetration to go through the bottom or it's delayed fuse runs out, am I right?

I am still not sure if I am explaining this clear enough... Hmm... Let's say we have an armor plate that is 71 mm thick the bomb will arm and when will it detonate? If it either - reaches its full penetration value of 184 mm (for instance if the plate way 300mm thick, will it explode in the middle of it? - by the wayare the 70 mm of arming included in the 184?) or when the delay for the fuse runs out? If so what is the delay and at what speed does the bomb move? 

Also flooding caused by AP bombs going straight through the ship, would be nice :D Although I know why it's not in game... Sorry this turned into much more technical question than I anticipated, but so far the AP bombs are... Well not underwhelming but too strange to grasp... It seems like they don't do much, but then you look at damage total and there is 120K there...

I guess AP Bombs count as normal penetrations and BBs can only heal 30% of normal hits and only 10% of citadel hits, while fire damage from HE Bombs is 100% healable. 

Summoned reinforcements for the more detailed question, let's see what the answer will be when we get it - it is fairly technical so have to wait for the answer.

1 person likes this