• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

Question

...To be or not to be?

But most importantly, does the new Q&A section tickle your fancy? Let us know what you think.

A quick guide to important buttons and functions lies in the spoiler:

Spoiler

Questions Section.jpg

8 people like this

37 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

That "one question per thread" system is going to break down quite quickly when long, thorough questions are going to be asked.
Thread titles will be truncated and it will make creating summaries so much longer.

I appreciate the effort, but this seems overly complex to be honest.

Long, thorough questions are still one question. However way too often you get questions starting with the future of British tree and ending, ten bulletpoints later, with a request about the health of our server hamster. Such questions are quite messy to answer.

Another point is of course that we hope this will make it easier  especially for the more popular questions (say... One evergreen, Submarines :fish_palm:) - to stay on top and thus avoid the endless circle.

And another, of course, would be (ideally) having answer visible by default right under the question.

49 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Already I see a potential problem.

As you scroll thru the answers and 'vote/rate' and then switch to the next page, answers are immediately resorted. So if you gave something a negative and it got moved to page 2 for example something you havent read gets moved to page one. So you have to re read page one to see whats moved up,

If lots of people are doing this all at the same time, good answers will get missed, as they are rapidly moving up the listing, and people will start posting duplicates of answers somebody else has already said because they don't realize its already been said and is moving up the ranks.

If you want to go through the thread or vote on individual answers, you're better off sorting by 'date'. This thread isn't a good indication of how well it will work in practise. No real question in OP to be answered and most answers in the thread are just new questions. I'd like to see them open up the forum but I suspect they want questions focused in the Gamescom thread.

I hope that we'll get more answers than usual :) I'm still waiting for the reply to a question I asked in March I think... I guess I'll try posting it again when this section opens next week.

I think this section could potentially be a great thing!

2 Questions about this section that came to mind:

1) If it takes off, you could potentially have hundreds of questions per week. In such case it might be unreasonable to expect to get an official answer from a WG member. How will you decide, which questions to prioritise answering to first? By votes?

2) Is there a possibility to always have the official answer by a WG member to be on top, even if it's not the most popular or the first one?

Since there's voting on answers, it seems community members are to answer questions that can be answered, otherwise - what's the point of voting..? Why not open up for questions now and WG staff can answer whatever questions float to the top - the presumably unanswered questions - in a week or three?

Is there a reason to wait for a calender activity to open the forum up?

1 person likes this

So I'll ask one of the most hot questions.

When can we expect Roma being added to the game?

Is there any reason why I can downvote mtm78 but not upvote the original "question"?

(just testing)

40 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Long, thorough questions are still one question. However way too often you get questions starting with the future of British tree and ending, ten bulletpoints later, with a request about the health of our server hamster. Such questions are quite messy to answer.

Another point is of course that we hope this will make it easier  especially for the more popular questions (say... One evergreen, Submarines :fish_palm:) - to stay on top and thus avoid the endless circle.

And another, of course, would be (ideally) having answer visible by default right under the question.

I agree on the questions that never really seem to go anywhere, but it still seems like a messy interface and with a truncated question, a subconsciously less desirable topic on which you want to click on.
Thinking about it more though, it is better to find specific questions and answers this current way, so there are definite advantages to this one thread = one question method.

I would advice a lot of care about always having the most popular questions on top. Those tend to be run of the mill "OMG WHEN U GIB [enter the poster's nation here] NAVY?" garbage posts, while detailed questions about mechanics tend to be less popular as they are less exciting.
Perhaps a sort of archive?
A list of questions you have to browse before being able to post a question? The forum engine already allows to block users from reading topics unless you click on a box, like warnings.
That could be adapted to filter at least some people from asking the same questions 17 times.

9 hours ago, mtm78 said:

Me like the voting system, should weed out the BBabies! 

Right now you are being weeded. Drop the BBabies already, using it all the time only makes you look like a tantruming baby.

Oh, and usung blanket insults right off the bat is sure nice way to discuss anything :/

14 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Perhaps if you posted a daily update on the hamster things would be easier?

That would be the most depressing journal ever.
Especially if written from the point of view of one of the hamsters.

Day 1 - "My first day here! I found my wheel, it's a bit rusty but I'll make it work. The other hamsters have a blank stare. The stare of people who have seen too much. Eery"
Day 2 - "They make use pedal all day, I'm doing great ! But the breaks are seemingly at random. I can also spot WG EU in the distance shadowing player activity and what appears to be taking bets."
Day 15 - "Every day I need to run faster. But there are always only 10 of us. They say having an 11th hamster is too expensive."
Day 25- "We are dying off. Employees have tiny whips. My back is scarred, my muscles are sore, but my soul is as alive as ever, burning with fury and vengeance for my fallen hamster brethren."
Day 36 - "They will not break my spirit!"
Day 52 - "All running and no hope makes hamster a dull boy. All running and no hope makes hamster a dull boy. All running and no hope makes hamster a dull boy. All running and no hope makes hamster a dull boy."
Day 53 - "[Unintelligible scribbles]"
END OF JOURNAL

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Not sure what you mean by "truncated question" here - this works like any forum section, so you have a title (which SHOULD be short and to the point ideally - took me some time when the smoke change test was leaked to find that the main discussion for it is in a thread with Belfast and Kutuzov in the title - was scanning for "smoke" ;)) and then you have the normal body of the post to give the question in its entirety. Or did I misunderstand?

There is a reason that the "always popular" questions are popping up - and like it or not, the forum has to be open and attractive for everyone. Overall the most frequent questions may not end up to be the ones most upvoted (but still frequent enough to stay visible and thus not getting asked again) - and unlike in a massive single thread, they will be visible. However your idea is interesting - will investigate what the forum system allows us. I doubt we will be able to put a clickable disclaimer (as that is tied with the warning system) but there may be another way. Already the battle limit should help though.

I might not have made myself clear.

My "concern" (for lack of a weaker word) is that posting the entire question in the thread title sounds like it will make longer, valid questions that legitimately require a build up completely unattractive to discuss by most probably cutting the thread title short so it actually fits in the list of threads in the Q&A section.
On a personal pet peeve that should not be taken into account, it also makes the opening post a bit redundant since the question is already in the title.
But that's my inner "I work on SEO and duplicate content is to me what anger is to Bruce Banner" talking.

At this point, I'm not criticizing the idea as much as brainstorming.
This current method will be clearer to find specific questions, especially if they're short and concise, but will make browsing multiple Q&As a bit less user-friendly and as you pointed out with the thread on smoke, not well written, longer questions (or in this case thread title) harder to find.
It's really just a design choice at this point, but I figure since this specific topic is about feedback, I'll give my insight.

The "always popular questions" is a different story.
I agree that the popular questions need to stay up, but with time, it might clog up the section and make newer questions less visible, hence suggesting to find a way to help the latter be seen.
A "new question of the day" , appearing in a set position above all the others, changing every day perhaps?

I just hope the voting system isn't abused by trolling or people trying to make something disappear that they don't like. It seems a bit like the Karma system open to abuse but relying on the player base to play fair. But this is the internet and anonymity breeds contempt in some. 

Yeah I agree, nothing wrong with the original forum rep system, sad that this one is hidden to allow anon trolling.....

And constantly switching to order by data is annoying, should remember one's preference.

edit.. btw grievances are irrelevant, it is bad and biased shitters which are mostly the issue. I don't mind bbaby apologists downvoting, but it would be beter if we could see their names. That way I know who i should only read if I need a laugh or two.

2 people like this

Already I see a potential problem.

As you scroll thru the answers and 'vote/rate' and then switch to the next page, answers are immediately resorted. So if you gave something a negative and it got moved to page 2 for example something you havent read gets moved to page one. So you have to re read page one to see whats moved up,

If lots of people are doing this all at the same time, good answers will get missed, as they are rapidly moving up the listing, and people will start posting duplicates of answers somebody else has already said because they don't realize its already been said and is moving up the ranks.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Mymeara said:

sooo just like the ship class discussion sections this is another split off so you can dump all your unwanted questions and criticisms somewhere you can actively ignore them?

sorry, this is going to be real harsh but if you can barely keep a simple set of Q&A threads on the general discussion section running for more than a few days at a time before you go back to actively ignoring everything posted what hope do you have to keep a entire section running properly?

I'm an optimist by nature, so pardon me, but I think it could actually go the other way.

By having the questions in separate threads instead of being randomly thrown in among all the flaming and chit-chat in one mammoth thread, I think this could result in more questions getting answered - if only because they're easier to find. Or one could hope at least that the ones that receive a lot of up-votes will.

If on top of that they added a section for suggestions that worked in a similar way the Q&A section will work (with up-votes etc) that would make it much easier for WG to hear some of the great ideas the community can come up with. There is a topic in the 'General' section by TheCinC, which is a welcome effort, but it suffers from the same problem all mammoth threads do: it's difficult to pick out the suggestions from among the general chat.

If those two sections were implemented and took off in a positive way, with good questions and positive suggestions getting up-voted and bad ones down-voted (I realise I'm being a bit too optimistic and naive here) then you could instead start 'actively avoiding' the 'Gameplay' section of the forums with all of its standard CVs-are-OP-nerf-CVs or There-are-too-many-BBs-in-games or When-will-so-and-so-be-released or MM-sucks or containers-suck and so on... threads.

30 minutes ago, DreadArchangel said:

What week in August will we be seeing the Graf Zepplin, and what will be its load out.

2-3-0

Seems like the answers are moved up and down by rating, interesting...

Edit: Ah, thats just one way of sorting (and the default one).

Edit2: Is there a way to set "sort by date" as default?

That "one question per thread" system is going to break down quite quickly when long, thorough questions are going to be asked.
Thread titles will be truncated and it will make creating summaries so much longer.

I appreciate the effort, but this seems overly complex to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Perhaps if you posted a daily update on the hamster things would be easier?

11 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

I agree on the questions that never really seem to go anywhere, but it still seems like a messy interface and with a truncated question, a subconsciously less desirable topic on which you want to click on.
Thinking about it more though, it is better to find specific questions and answers this current way, so there are definite advantages to this one thread = one question method.

I would advice a lot of care about always having the most popular questions on top. Those tend to be run of the mill "OMG WHEN U GIB [enter the poster's nation here] NAVY?" garbage posts, while detailed questions about mechanics tend to be less popular as they are less exciting.
Perhaps a sort of archive?
A list of questions you have to browse before being able to post a question? The forum engine already allows to block users from reading topics unless you click on a box, like warnings.
That could be adapted to filter at least some people from asking the same questions 17 times.

Not sure what you mean by "truncated question" here - this works like any forum section, so you have a title (which SHOULD be short and to the point ideally - took me some time when the smoke change test was leaked to find that the main discussion for it is in a thread with Belfast and Kutuzov in the title - was scanning for "smoke" ;)) and then you have the normal body of the post to give the question in its entirety. Or did I misunderstand?

There is a reason that the "always popular" questions are popping up - and like it or not, the forum has to be open and attractive for everyone. Overall the most frequent questions may not end up to be the ones most upvoted (but still frequent enough to stay visible and thus not getting asked again) - and unlike in a massive single thread, they will be visible. However your idea is interesting - will investigate what the forum system allows us. I doubt we will be able to put a clickable disclaimer (as that is tied with the warning system) but there may be another way. Already the battle limit should help though.

EDIT: However we may try to use star rating for this perhaps - let's experiment :)

Just now, Exocet6951 said:

I might not have made myself clear.

My "concern" (for lack of a weaker word) is that posting the entire question in the thread title sounds like it will make longer, valid questions that legitimately require a build up completely unattractive to discuss by most probably cutting the thread title short so it actually fits in the list of threads in the Q&A section.
On a personal pet peeve that should not be taken into account, it also makes the opening post a bit redundant since the question is already in the title.
But that's my inner "I work on SEO and duplicate content is to me what anger is to Bruce Banner" talking.

At this point, I'm not criticizing the idea as much as brainstorming.
This current method will be clearer to find specific questions, especially if they're short and concise, but will make browsing multiple Q&As a bit less user-friendly and as you pointed out with the thread on smoke, not well written, longer questions (or in this case thread title) harder to find.
It's really just a design choice at this point, but I figure since this specific topic is about feedback, I'll give my insight.

The "always popular questions" is a different story.
I agree that the popular questions need to stay up, but with time, it might clog up the section and make newer questions less visible, hence suggesting to find a way to help the latter be seen.
A "new question of the day" , appearing in a set position above all the others, changing every day perhaps?

Ah OK, misunderstanding then: I do not ask for the entire question to be in the thread title - the question is obviously in the post. The thread title should, on the other hand, be clear enough to indicate what the question is about.

Say:

Title: Operation Dynamo Captains

Tags: 0.6.8, operation, dynamo

Body: Whatever the actual question is.

Sorry if that came out unclear. 

12 minutes ago, MasaruKondera said:

@Tuccy So in other words: It should work here the same way it does on stackoverflow right?

In case you don't know stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4387680/transparent-background-on-winforms

Yes, looks like they use generally the same system. Variants are also on other sites.

We will see how it looks with the question voting - by default everyone should be able to vote.