Sign in to follow this  
ULTRALAZER

Manuel Bombing

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1 post
1,630 battles

i'd like to point out, that in lower Tiers (4-5, 6 unless cleveland) manual bombing needs an overhaul. right now you can pretty much do nothing when you're in a bb and get bombed by a semi experienced cv player manually. i'm not gonna explain the common approach of those who use it, i just want to state out that it needs overhauling. for example a higher minimum range for torpedos to arm.

and please, don't tell me i should turn early or stay away from more than a bomber group, that's just common sense. cv players will agree that it's pretty easy to pick of a bb in tier 4-6 unless a cleveland is around.

Edited by ULTRALAZER

Players
1,497 posts
3,446 battles

well i agree at the moment but only because people do nothing to avoid them if a player just starts turning before the torp bombers are makeing the attack run it is so dificult to actualy attack him maybe you will hit with one or two 

all in all i dont think they need any change just give it some time and people will learn how to avoid it and then there will be no problem 

Regards MindfulCrane07:honoring:

[COSTS]
Alpha Tester
3,692 posts
5,958 battles

The other thing to remember is that an air dropped torp only does 5900 damage so even if you cannot avoid all, hits are rarely fatal.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
770 posts
743 battles

IRL you would not be able to avoid torpedoes easily in a BB, i dont see why we should change that in the game. BB's are meant to be slow with massive guns and great armour but against torpedoes they are very fragile things indeed.

Torpedoes are deadly for a reason :honoring:.

[BKC]
Beta Tester
465 posts
2,926 battles

IRL you would not be able to avoid torpedoes easily in a BB, i dont see why we should change that in the game. BB's are meant to be slow with massive guns and great armour but against torpedoes they are very fragile things indeed.

Torpedoes are deadly for a reason :honoring:.

IRL they probably wouldnt divebomb the torps nor would every torp work ;)

Alpha Tester
797 posts

Is fun because right now you can pretty much do nothing when you're in a CV and try to torpedo a semi experienced BB player. I'm not gonna explain why because there are a dozen of threads about this.

[FR]
Weekend Tester
84 posts
3,221 battles

BB are not supposed to easily avoid torpedoes from planes or  destroyers.

You are supposed to get some cover from your friendly cruiser, and observe closely the planes flying around you to manoeuver early. You shouldn't take more than a couple torpedoes per wave, if any.

Beta Tester
46 posts
246 battles

You can spot a torpedo plane squadron from a mile away - You have every possibility to avoid taking a torpedo salvo in the butt.

Beta Tester
43 posts
1,137 battles

In a recent game, I was in my Myogi BB, and while exchanging a few quick shots at long range with various opposing ships, I noticed a torp bomber squad heading towards me. I started shifting course towards them. I noticed the flight pattern as they dropped their torps, saw the lines in the water before they got marked with the little triangles and the alerts started blaring. I managed to get through in between the first two torpedos of the batch, not taking a single hit (and yes, it was a manual release, the torps went parallel in a straight line, they didn't fan out, and on automatic they always fan out, on manual only when there's something affecting the torp bombers while they drop). And it was a rather well-executed manual release, too, judging from my limited experience as a CV captain. Dodging that was pretty awesome.

Later on in the same battle, though, the CV (or maybe it was the teams other CV, or both of them) got the better of me: He took two torp bomber squads and had them drop parallel, overlapping in part, very close to each other, which made evasion practically impossible. To make things worse, I was just locked into a close range fight with at least one enemy ship (I think it was two, though) and had that tunnel vision that so heavily impairs the kind of situational awareness that saved me on the strike before. Still, when the alerts began, I immediately reacted and tried to mitigate the impact. I don't know if my actions had any amount of notable success, but even though it was a well-planned attack, the three or four torps that hit me didn't take me out. And, even though it was nigh impossible to get out of that situation without a scratch like before, I'd still say that 60% of the damage taken, at the very least, was due to my lack of awareness in that moment.

Playing CV, I noticed that not only the Cleveland, but the Aoba, too, are very dangerous to planes. Plus the AA on CVs. Plus Fighters.

And yes, a CV might carry out a very efficient torp attack using both TB squads (on low tiers, they only have two at most), but that means trading off the ability to attack twice (in the 2-4 minutes it takes for the bombers to get there, attack and fly back) for trying to score an additional hit. And especially on tier IV and V the torp bombers are very slow fliers, so there is a trade-off in damage potential for the CV, too.

My point is:

- Manual release of torps already requires a modicum of skill and time to set up / pull off, so it should require a bit of skill to avoid it, too.

- Any change of speed or course will make the manual release harder for the CV player. Standing still or moving at constant (and possibly low) speed in a straight line does make you an easy target, as it should.

- Anything affecting the torp bombers at the drop (such as being pursued by fighters, or getting into concentrated AA fire (which, to be fair, isn't quite likely at tiers IV and V)) basically makes the manual drop ineffective due to the torps fanning out like on auto (and due to the given minimum range to be armed already in game, they're too far apart by that point to score more than one hit on anything but a stationary target - or maybe, luckily, on more than one targets.)

- You may not be able to get out of a torp release completely unscathed, but unless you're totally focused and in tunnel vision, you will probably be able to reduce hits to one or two torps, and considering the time it usually takes the planes to get from the CV to you, wait for a suitable situation for manual, set it up, start the attack, get back to the CV and reload, they don't deal that much damage anyhow. A BB can easily tank a few singular plane torps.

But then again, I wouldn't mind if they increased the range the torpedos have to be in water to be armed somewhat. I just want them to show the point at which the torpedos are armed on the interface for CV players, because currently, the green area shows where the torpedos will be - but they will not necessarily be armed at that point and might hit without damaging, even in the green area.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
177 posts
4,386 battles

The other thing to remember is that an air dropped torp only does 5900 damage so even if you cannot avoid all, hits are rarely fatal.

hmmm my Nagoto tells me something different i got one shotted from full hp to 0 with 3 torpedo hits from 2 torpedo sqaudrons and those three hit me all the way in the back of my ship and the game after that even when i had 2 platoon mates suporting me on my left and right side with a aobe and a Mogami the same person in his tier 8 CV bomb me again with 2 sqaudrons  of torpedo planes and he only lost 3 planes and i lost almost all my hp again with 3 hits. if i only had the option to watch the replays or give it.

Sign in to follow this