Kandly

New ship preview: Monarch

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

215 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

Don't you think there was something missing among the British battleships we've been parading lately? Well, not anymore!

Designed as a heavier follow-up to the King George V class, this project was quickly abandoned for the bigger, heavier Lion - a neat fit for Tier VIII!

eb772506-6ad2-11e7-8c2e-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

e3e63638-67d0-11e7-ae1c-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

e4ad67a8-67d0-11e7-9405-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg e55a6bb0-67d0-11e7-8228-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

What do you think? :cap_hmm:

1 person likes this

Are WG having balance issues with this line to introduce another paper ship when plenty of good candidates are available?...i hope not, or is the KGV now going to be an odd premium fit...like the OP (?) Belfast at Tier 7...?

So where is KGV then?

Is it going to Prem or you are gonna switch it with Nelson on Tier VII?

Looks like generic trash if you ask me. Especially that it looks pretty much the same as Lion.

I'm very confused, I thought RN would be the line where paper wasn't needed at all :cap_wander_2:

edit: nice ninja Tuccy, and thanks for the explanation. 

5 minutes ago, A_British_Hedgehog said:

Are WG having balance issues with this line to introduce another paper ship when plenty of good candidates are available?...i hope not, or is the KGV now going to be an odd premium fit...like the OP (?) Belfast at Tier 7...?

There actually is not that many good candidates :) There would be HMS Vanguard (though she would be a kinda odd duck and her 15 inch Mk I guns would need some love), however the King George V would be getting a bit long in the teeth with the 14 inch battery and since she is slated for Tier VII for now anyway, there is still the Tier VIII battleship-shaped hole... At the same time the 15" KGV design was a logical step before the ante was upped once more to the Lion class (and with new 15 inch Mk. II guns no less), we felt she would be the best counter to other Tier VIIIs out there.

In my opinion you're just taking all the historical value away from the King geroge V class. If the reason behind this is because you want to release the historical Prince of Wales later as a premium, then you're only going to get another PR disaster. As a history enthousiast KGV was the main reason (together with Nelson) to play this line. i'm not sure if our comments will be heard, but i had to put it out there.

6 people like this

Someone at Wargaming has read "The Whale has Wings"

1 person likes this

So we get 3 paper BBs tier 8-10 and no KGV class (Appart from Maybe PREM) and No HMS Vanguard.

REALLY WARGAMING..

King George the V Class was the backbone of the RN battleship fleet in WW2 she must be in game

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So now one of the most signifigant British battleship classes is in a bit of limbo again, I wish I wasn't surprised but this is not a good way to go.

If KGV is going to be tier seven is she going to be a premium or do you plan on stripping Nelson from tier seven and making one of them premium? Unless WG plan on having two tier sevens I can't see many people being happy at all.

Plus it's another blasted paper design.

1 person likes this

so this means that we will have a ton of british T7 battleships

- Nelson, Hood, KGV, Vanguard ..... and only paperships above T7

...thats....meehhh

4 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

There would be HMS Vanguard (though she would be a kinda odd duck and her 15 inch Mk I guns would need some love)

Then start with the Vanguard + balances, instead of a paper ship. What did the British have done to you WG ?

11 minutes ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

So where is KGV then?

Is it going to Prem or you are gonna switch it with Nelson on Tier VII?

Looks like generic trash if you ask me. Especially that it looks pretty much the same as Lion.

4 minutes ago, Fullsang said:

In my opinion you're just taking all the historical value away from the King geroge V class. If the reason behind this is because you want to release the historical Prince of Wales later as a premium, then you're only going to get another PR disaster. As a history enthousiast KGV was the main reason (together with Nelson) to play this line. i'm not sure if our comments will be heard, but i had to put it out there.

1 minute ago, T0byJug said:

So we get 3 paper BBs tier 8-10 and no KGV class (Appart from Maybe PREM) and No HMS Vanguard.

REALLY WARGAMING..

King George the V Class was the backbone of the RN battleship fleet in WW2 she must be in game

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Where does this idea about this ship replacing King George V class appear? :cap_hmm: Shall I remind you...

THIS EARLIER PREVIEW

I also feel the need to remind you not to take various datamined information at face value and not to base your comments on them ;)

1 minute ago, lankylad11_lankylad said:

so @Tuccy, where has HMS Nelson gone?

See above, she has not gone anywhere. 

6 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

I'm very confused, I thought RN would be the line where paper wasn't needed at all :cap_wander_2:

Given that UK did not really build battleships between R class and King George V and KGV was neutered by sticking to the treaty and not engaging the Escalator Clause (unlike the USA with their North Carolina)... And after that the only new battleship was a hurried redesign of Lion Class for WWI era turrets... There really is kinda gap at higher tiers :)

2 hours ago, PseudoMi said:

Then start with the Vanguard + balances, instead of a paper ship. What did the British have done to you WG ?

if they can balance Vanguard for T8, than they can also balance KGV for T8

---------------------

I still dont understand the problem of 10x14" at T8

with sigma 1,9-2,0 and good penetration angles (like Hood) a KGV could still perform well

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

My point entirely...

I'm still after Prince of Wales, she's the only ship missing that was present at the Battle of the Denmark Strait, then you also have her AA Set up of the pom poms and unrotated projectiles like on Hood, Hood kind of needs her companion against Bismarck and PE.

12 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

At the same time the 15" KGV design was a logical step before the ante was upped once more to the Lion class (and with new 15 inch Mk. II guns no less), we felt she would be the best counter to other Tier VIIIs out there.

Why the :etc_swear: did you call it 'Monarch'?

You called the tier 7 KM BB Gneisenau, so why can't you give it an appropriate name? King Edward VIII, Jellicoe, Beatty and Anson were planned for the approved 15" KGV, why no use one of those?

6 people like this

The Vanguard was able to use supercharged shells; perhaps that mechanic should be balanced in terms of shell velocity and range to make it competitive at Tier 8 instead of just ignoring the whole, actual ship...unless it is another premium plan for tier 8...

im confused. can someone sum up for me the recent state of bb tree from tier 7?

...with stating that "nelson didnt go anywhere" you mean literally anywhere? like she wont be in the tech tree?

Edited by puxflacet

14 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Where does this idea about this ship replacing King George V class appear? :cap_hmm: Shall I remind you...

THIS EARLIER PREVIEW

Given that UK did not really build battleships between R class and King George V and KGV was neutered by sticking to the treaty and not engaging the Escalator Clause (unlike the USA with their North Carolina)... And after that the only new battleship was a hurried redesign of Lion Class for WWI era turrets... There really is kinda gap at higher tiers :)

Thing is old chap in the month  after that post you (as in wargaming) did kind of establish  KGV as a tier 8. When you enounce a new tier 8 it may have been cool to tell us KGV has been moved back to 7.

Indeed UK had other priority in the 1940s so there may be a gap for high tier.. 

22 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

See above, she has not gone anywhere. 

So what tier is nelson slated for? there is no indication on the link?