You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
puxflacet

Ship Models Errors Gathering Thread

29 comments in this topic

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles

firstly german and now french helmsmen has to have apparently eyes like x-men to navigate their vessels

this is kaiser's second hull - as you can see additional rangefinder is completelly obstructing view from navigation bridge

lT2x4Rp.jpg

konig's second hull has the exact same issue

M4skejP.jpg

emile bertin received this issue as well fictional upgrade adding some additional bofors. however unlike german bb's this could be fixed with some effort. with moving the bofors on top of the conning tower the navigational bridge will have free view again. however some devices on top of the tower will be still obstructed. but this is probably better solution

SBJLcLh.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,666 battles

Are you sure that the bridge is not at higher level than you think? There is similar deck above the one's that you have identified as healms. (sorry, cant .. well won't do any chwcking now because I'm on my way home from work)

***** edit *****

at least on König

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles
1 hour ago, YukiEiriKun said:

Are you sure that the bridge is not at higher level than you think? There is similar deck above the one's that you have identified as healms. (sorry, cant .. well won't do any chwcking now because I'm on my way home from work)

im pretty sure. the steering wheel is even visible on the models if you check gamemodels3d.com...the windows above are from so-called "admiral's bridge" where were officers usually during the battle to have better view

[DREAD]
Players
5,105 posts
5,058 battles

+1

A fix to these models would be most gratefully received. And while we are at it remove the artificial #FakeBow from König!

:-)

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

All the hull's you've identified are fictional upgrades right?

[DREAD]
Players
5,105 posts
5,058 battles
1 minute ago, mtm78 said:

...which isn't the point here. But these AA placements don't make much sense. Not sure if the French cruiser is fictional though, König is for sure.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

No I was just wondering if it had any use to post actual photo's or schematics, but as the hull's are fictional that would be hard ;)

I mean if they are not fictional hulls, and if the AAA emplacement isn't fictional, then pictures of the ship class in real life should make it easier for WG to see what they did wrong or how it should be. 

But I assumed fictional due to your first example, it seems pretty obvious that range finder obscurs a lot from the bridge ( or well the part of the tower which has actual windows and to me looks like a bridge instead of an observation deck like that above it ). I just assumed that wouldn't be a real ship design ( unless the perspective is misleading ). 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles
4 hours ago, mtm78 said:

This is the Bertin after her modernization, in 1945:
emile_12.jpg

Even during her problem years between 1943 and 1945 when she lost one of her guns (lulz) , she never had anything on top of the turret.

In fact, it's really odd since she's supposed to have 4x4 Bofors, not a 2x4 + 2x2 Bofors, and more 90mm DPAA.
So I have no idea what the hell they did to the Bertin, apart from just mashing random elements they had lying around onto her stock hull and going "tadaa!

EDIT:
In case anyone is interested, this is the Bertin in 1943

Spoiler

Emile-Bertin.jpg

Note the missing gun on turret B.
What did the Americans do to the poor girl? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Well with that I would contact a CM and ask him to forward it to make sure it's read by the right people ( or post in a Q&A thread and hope it get's answered ). 

Certainly with existing configurations it should be easy to pinpoint mistakes and hopefully fix them. 

[OGHF]
Players
588 posts
11,090 battles

Helmsman do not steer the ship by sight, they are told what to steer by the officer of the watch.

In most large warships the helm is below decks in a safe please.

• Cool 3

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles
23 minutes ago, OGHF_Cyclops said:

Helmsman do not steer the ship by sight, they are told what to steer by the officer of the watch.

In most large warships the helm is below decks in a safe please.

but you cant have blocked sight fron navigation bridge even if steering wheel is somewhere else. in bertin's case they are literally unable to navigate the ship because they do not see whats in front of them

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles
43 minutes ago, MaxxyNL said:

1st world problems :Smile_facepalm:

WG themselves actually enjoy and are proud of their models, if there are errors in them they like them to be pointed out. 

Sure, I rather have new game modes or the new command menu, but correct models is also something which attracts quite some players. 

[OGHF]
Players
588 posts
11,090 battles
2 hours ago, puxflacet said:

but you cant have blocked sight fron navigation bridge even if steering wheel is somewhere else. in bertin's case they are literally unable to navigate the ship because they do not see whats in front of them

You will find that the Konig  has an open bridge higher up, if you look you can see the binnacle. and most officers watch from the sides rather than straight ahead.

[DREAD]
Players
5,105 posts
5,058 battles
3 minutes ago, OGHF_Cyclops said:

You will find that the Konig  has an open bridge higher up, if you look you can see the binnacle. and most officers watch from the sides rather than straight ahead.

There will always be ppl who thinks WG does everything right.

But these inconsistencies bother some players, for example me, both on König and Bertin. Actually Hindenburg's rearward range finder is also blocked by an AA placement.

These details bother me as the models are in general very well done and a pleasure to look at (with few exceptions) as mtm pointed out. Btw. the König stock model (which is equally fictional) looks far more plausible for example.

• Cool 1

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles
2 hours ago, OGHF_Cyclops said:

yeah. its called "compass platform" or "flying bridge"...

the thing is the superstructure doesnt reflect the sudden object put in front of it  - in this case huge rangefinders. it seems to me that they modeled the hulls without completelly know which additional equipment would be fitted on B and C hull and on the last second they just randomly put stuff on it to look upgraded. 

there are windows facing steel wall (and even modelled optical devices behind them). if the rangefinders have to be there they should rebuild the superstrusture and lift the navigation bridge higher. this just look like the ship set sail in the middle of refitting when everything was done except the main superstructure.

Beta Tester
3,905 posts
13,831 battles

This discussion is funny.

The whole gameplay does only have limited similiarity to real naval warfare, but the ships should be 1 on 1 translations of real ships?

[TFZ]
Players
59 posts
5,168 battles

yes? or at least sensible translations otherwise it wouldn't be warships but just random blobs under weird physics firing pixels at each other.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles
2 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

This discussion is funny.

The whole gameplay does only have limited similiarity to real naval warfare, but the ships should be 1 on 1 translations of real ships?

If it attracts players why not? If it's not damaging to the game like the opinions of those people playing just one class which shall not be named, I don't see any harm in it.

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles

ok. so the very same thing arrived with british battleships as well...this is second hull for iron duke

QYueWIc.jpg

in this case the solution is pretty simple since the platform is very convenient. just lift that a bit higher and visibility wont be obstructed

edit: it seems that they made this platform so that the holes for optical devices on top of the turrets wouldnt be obstructed but they didnt take into account the bridge behind.

edit2: orion has the same problem while in his case navigation bridge has clear view. only view from conning tower is blocked and again this can be easily fixed

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles

i would like to take advantage of this thread and repost suggestion from us forum by dseehafer about tirpitz's model issues:

On 3. 1. 2017 at 5:37 AM, dseehafer said:

Here is a general overview of what we'll be going over. This is our Tirpitz in game

VbE1u2y.jpg

And this is a historical picture of Tirpitz during the same time-frame

j0DRdxz.jpg

Here's a picture of a 3d model (done by Stefan Draminski) of Tirpitz as she apeared during Operation Rösselsprung with highlights showing some things that are missing. Compare this image to the historical image and then to the game model.

HNbgd3e.jpg

The big things I want you to notice right away is that a vertical shield now extends from the upper mast deck up to the admirals bridge (a large red arrow is pointing to this in the picture) You can also see that there are solid shields placed around the 105mm heavy AA turrets, on our model in game we only have fences. The other objects that are highlighted we'll take a closer look at because they are smaller.

qpOaZ86.jpg

Notice on this image I have circled the ship's signal horn...

LFjxSRP.jpg

Here you can see that our model lacks the signal horn. (also note the absence of the vertical shields we talked about before) 

2DHeiPO.jpg

In this image there are two things highlighted. On the right are the ship's torpedo target giver and compass repeater (these are on the other side of the bridge as well) and on the left I have highlighted one of the ship's single 2cm AA guns... I have circled this gun because this is actually the same 2cm gun that can be seen on the ship's deck behind the breakwater that is behind the B turret on our in game model. This gun, along with the one in the same position on the other side of the ship were moved up to the superstructure in the summer of 1942 and that's where they SHOULD be on our in game model. You can see both of these points circled on Stefan's model of the Tirpitz.

bKG2GD8.jpg

In this image we can see that the torpedo target giver and compass repeater are not displayed on the platform on which they stood (outboard of the 2cm gun) and we can also see that there is only one 2cm gun when there should be two.

WPqzlmo.jpg

In this picture we can see that the floor of the platform for the quad 2cm mount on "B" turret is wood...

aXgZ0U5.jpg

... but in game it is not wood, it's the same texture as the top of the turret. (Also note the single 2cm gun behind the breakwater that is behind turret "B", this is the gun we were talking about earlier, this is the one that got moved (along with the one on the other side))

ESxAHd7.png?1

On this historical image I have circled the periscope sight on the roof of the ship's foremost staboard side 150mm gun turret. These periscope sights existed on the roofs of both the foremost and rearmost pair of 150mm gun turrets with only the center pair lacking them.

0c8YZXf.png

Here is a picture of the same turret on our Tirpitz. You can see that it lacks the periscope sight that should be on its roof.

...and here is his post about tirpitz's waterline issue:

On 31. 3. 2017 at 4:52 AM, dseehafer said:

Greetings all,

Ever since Bismarck came out I've noticed that Bismarck and Tirpitz do not share the same waterline. In fact, Bismarck is lower than Tirpitz. This is odd because, historically, Tirpitz was a teensy bit deeper than Bismarck (cuz she was more chubby). Now, the Bismarck that we have in-game is modified from the real one with extra AA and radar mounts, but still, she is lighter in-game than Tirpitz. So she should not be lower in the water.

This isn't the first time I've brought this up. I've even posted pictures in Pigeon of War's suggestion thread but, despite my efforts, I have never gotten an explanation from a dev as to why the ships do not share the same draft (or, at the very least, why the lighter Bismarck is the lower of the two).

At first, I didn't know if Tirpitz was too high or if Bismarck was too low. Now I have photographic evidence that suggests that Bismarck is fine and that it's Tirpitz who sits too high in the water.

First, proof that Bismarck is lower than Tirpitz in-game. Tirpitz left, Bismarck right.

KTluYMJ.png

You see those black dots just above Tirpitz's black waterline-line? These are ballast pumps. On Tirpitz they are above higher than Bismarck's which are literally inside of the black waterline-line. 

Here is a historical picture of Tirpitz just before she entered the drydock to receive her torpedo tubes in 1941. She is light on ballast and is sitting high in the water. We can clearly see her pumps which either are or have been pumping out ballast because there are streaks down the hull.

OW6zYOZ.jpg?1

Tirpitz's skin is correct because it shows that the pumps are just barely above the black line. Bismarck's skin shows that the pumps are in the black line, let's see what the actual Bismarck has to say about that...

NWPRvtW.png

Bismarck's are also above this black line.

Now, here is Tirpitz on trials after getting out of drydock...

gx94a2w.jpg?1

The black line is nowhere to be seen, it's underwater (or at least at the waterline). After trials, the Germans extended the black line above her waterline to match the ship's new lower draft.

So can we finally lower Tirpitz to at least match Bismack's draft?? Or, CAN I AT LEAST GET AN ANSWER FROM A DEV as to why they are at different drafts??

NOTE: This is not about balance. Lowering the Tirpitz is not a buff. In fact, you are lowering the thickest part of your belt lower into the water. Both Bismarck and Tirpitz are near impossible to citadel, lowering or raising either of them will not change that. This is purely about aesthetics and historical accuracy and the fact that there is no excuse as to why Tirpitz is sitting so much higher in the water than Bismarck.

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles

another issue i would like to gather here is with the Kii:

firstly her main gun turrets are the same as Mutsu has (visually and even armor-wise), despite the fact that Kii is in upgraded configuration and should have same turrets as Nagato and Amagi

and secondly, her torpedo launchers placement. they are so low that they would be unusable at most sea conditions irl (imagine what would a wave do to this launcher if it would stick out to fire the torps not to mention that this section would be constantly flooded). i can think of better placement:

in the casemate in the midship

iyLFLiR.jpg

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

Emile Bertin B hull is completely made up. It has no resemblance to the ship post USA refit. They just added the A hull a few Bofors and Oerlikons here and there and called it quits. A very cheap work.

Modder
1,596 posts
3,448 battles
24 minutes ago, JapLance said:

Emile Bertin B hull is completely made up. It has no resemblance to the ship post USA refit. They just added the A hull a few Bofors and Oerlikons here and there and called it quits. A very cheap work.

yeah. they probably wanted to save time, otherwise that hull is really not justified