You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
T0byJug

Where douse this Myth/Fact that the Warships playerbase is dwindling come from?

57 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles

Where do people get the Idea Warships is losing its player base

I ask as its one of the most common comments in the  whinging threads  

I had a quick look 

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 08/07/2017  15,922,439

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  11,235,828

So there has been an increase of about 41% from 2016 to 2017 in the number of times players have clicked the battle button.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html

Im interested is there any sights with information that support the claims that we are losing players?

• Cool 3

Players
335 posts
3,364 battles

Last year I commented in a thread, and cited some numbers of declining playerbase. 

I looked at Active users on Warships Today

"The RU Server is no longer the most active user base, if you look at the statistics, the most active server is the joint between the EU and the RU server, with about 22,000 peak active users each. The RU Server has been in decline since January, from a 34,000 peak on 8/1/16 to now less than 20,000 active players.

It is a similar situation in Europe, January saw a spike of 27,000 users, with that now dwindling to approx 20,000."

I think there was probably a decline in players over Q1-3 of 2016, around the time following the Russian tech tree launch. But since then WG have released some big tech trees, like RN cruisers, and German BBs, not to mention more Ranked, and interesting events like GNB etc. 

I honestly dont know about the current state of the playerbase, but it seems healthy. But to answer this:

25 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

It probably is just a hangover from when there was a decline (or appeared to be a decline) previously, people keep repeating it. 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

41 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

I had a quick look 

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 08/07/2017  15,922,439

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  11,235,828

So there has been an increase of about 41% from 2016 to 2017 in the number of times players have clicked the battle button.

Im interested is there any sights with information that support the claims that we are losing players?

Exactly... numbers are stable... :Smile_Default:

BTW, you can check yourself this most excellent Server stats site:

https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/eu/EU

Leo "Apollo11"

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
4 minutes ago, WestyII said:

It is a similar situation in Europe, January saw a spike of 27,000 users, with that now dwindling to approx 20,000."

Thing is this douse not show much as its a different time of year. Also a spike on number of players logged on at any one moment also says nothing about player base. The amount of time (number of battles) a player is playing  is what is significant.

The Basic premis when comparing stats is compare to the same period the years before. January has people on school holidays/ Short of money after Xmas or the weather  is just crap.  so you cant compare January  to Jun

If you look at player numbers  Januery/FEB 2017 and 2016 you get 

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 25/02/2017  23,312,275

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  19,688,508

So again there is a significant increase to the number of battles played Jan/Feb this year when compared to last year

[IDDQD]
Players
1,753 posts
15,987 battles

10% of most addicted players can do 90% of games played. Games played isnt measure of playerbase I think.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
5 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Thing is i don't get the hang up with MAX number online. Or number of players that logged on in 1 day as being significant,  Its how long the players STAY logged on and Join battles that is significant .

Thanks for site i will take a look

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

1 minute ago, Quetak said:

10% of most addicted players can do 90% of games played. Games played isnt measure of playerbase I think.

For playerbase just look at the link I posted above (for all servers)! :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,686 posts
9,234 battles
2 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"

Being stable isn't exactly a good thing for a game that's 2 years old though.
You have a game that only survived 2016 thanks to the release of German BBs, kept the energy going with RN cruisers a few months later, and is now slowly heading back to pre German BB levels.

In fact, one could easily speculate that the British BBs coming right about now has been calculated in order to keep the numbers up for the next 9-12 months, after which the next "big thing" has to be found.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
1 minute ago, Quetak said:

10% doing 90% of game is wide of the mark i think, But I get the general premis of what you are saying

Players playing is what keep the game going not amount of players. That log on or Have accounts. 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

Being stable isn't exactly a good thing for a game that's 2 years old though.
You have a game that only survived 2016 thanks to the release of German BBs, kept the energy going with RN cruisers a few months later, and is now slowly heading back to pre German BB levels.

In fact, one could easily speculate that the British BBs coming right about now has been calculated in order to keep the numbers up for the next 9-12 months, after which the next "big thing" has to be found.  Almost ALL entertainment on the planet release new content to keep players thats NORMAL 

But its not stable its increasing. 

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 25/02/2017  23,312,275

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 26/02/2016  19,688,508 (Corrected date date)

+18%

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 08/07/2017  15,922,439

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  11,235,828

+41% 

Two sets of figures showing the Man/Woman hours players are spending in game is on the Up

The Key to a free to play game is not the number of players logging in to take a look. But the retention of said players.

Ships Brought to battle or Hitting the battle button is a Clear indicator that the retention is going up.

Players
335 posts
3,364 battles
14 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Thing is this douse not show much as its a different time of year. Also a spike on number of players logged on at any one moment also says nothing about player base. The amount of time (number of battles) a player is playing  is what is significant.

The Basic premis when comparing stats is compare to the same period the years before. January has people on school holidays/ Short of money after Xmas or the weather  is just crap.  so you cant compare January  to Jun

If you look at player numbers  Januery/FEB 2017 and 2016 you get 

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 25/02/2017  23,312,275

Amount of time players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  19,688,508

So again there is a significant increase to the number of battles played Jan/Feb this year when compared to last year

I'm not arguing it is in decline now, I was just offering an explanation why people think numbers are declining, because they were historically (looking at active players in 2016) 

Also it is DOES not DOUSE :Smile_smile:! (Unless you want to put out a fire!) 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,686 posts
9,234 battles
1 minute ago, T0byJug said:

But its not stable its increasing. 

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 25/02/2017  23,312,275

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  19,688,508

+18%

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 08/07/2017  15,922,439

Amount of times players that  hit BATTLE button for 2 months Ending 09/07/2016  11,235,828

+41% 

Two sets of figures showing the Man/Woman hours players are spending in game is on the Up

And again, you're showing RIGHT before German BBs arrived, which was the crux of my point.

Try September or October of 2016.
It's much less telling.

And no, I HIGHLY disagree, entertainment products with monthly updates simply do NOT rely on 1 or 2 large releases to keep their heads above the water.
That's simply not true.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
Just now, WestyII said:

Also it is DOES not DOUSE :Smile_smile:! (Unless you want to put out a fire!) 

Spellings not my strong Point......  So don't worry i don't mind my mistakes being pointed out..

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
2 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Try September or October of 2016.
It's much less telling.

Give me a date for this year and i will compare to same date last year.. you will have to wait toll October 2017 before i can compare

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,141 posts
5,915 battles

Fast MM - game is not dead

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,686 posts
9,234 battles
9 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Give me a date for this year and i will compare to same date last year.. you will have to wait toll October 2017 before i can compare

And guess what's going to come before October, shortly before Christmas?
Hint: It starts with R, and ends with "oyal Navy Battleships"
Seriously, it doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out that they're masking a constant dwindling with yearly very high profile releases.
The one way we will see if I'm actually right or wrong is in late 2018, when they don't have fans of the RN and people with a massive German fixation to suck up to with  battleship releases.

Personnally, what I'm seeing is that as soon as a large release happens, there's a spike, then the game starts slowly losing players.
Then there's a large boost in the shape of a marathon, then it dies down.

It's a game that relies on high profile new content and giving out free stuff to keep players interested.
That's not a sign of a healthy game that stands on its own legs. 
Look at WoT by comparison.
Between March of 2015 and March of 2017, it had a nice steady player curb with dips only in the summer. 
That's without any new, highly expected and desired content, and on a already 5 year old game in 2015.
Meanwhile, on WoWS, you have a two year old game with large fluxuations that coincide perfectly with hyped ingame events and high profile releases.

How anyone could call that stable is beyond me.

• Cool 2

[SNI]
Players
488 posts
8,160 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

I had a quick look 

Whiners like to think that the game is going down because it's not going in the direction they'd like to.

That's why some people think that wows is bleeding players.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles
54 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Seriously, it doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out that they're masking a constant dwindling with yearly very high profile releases.
The one way we will see if I'm actually right or wrong is in late 2018, when they don't have fans of the RN and people with a massive German fixation to suck up to with  battleship releases.

Personnally, what I'm seeing is that as soon as a large release happens, there's a spike, then the game starts slowly losing players.
Then there's a large boost in the shape of a marathon, then it dies down.

It's a game that relies on high profile new content and giving out free stuff to keep players interested.
That's not a sign of a healthy game that stands on its own legs. 
Between March of 2015 and March of 2017, it had a nice steady player curb with dips only in the summer. 
That's without any new, highly expected and desired content, and on a already 5 year old game in 2015.
Meanwhile, on WoWS, you have a two year old game with large fluxuations that coincide perfectly with hyped ingame events and high profile releases.

How anyone could call that stable is beyond me.

52 minutes ago, Amon_ITA said:

Whiners like to think that the game is going down because it's not going in the direction they'd like to.

That's why some people think that wows is bleeding players.

:Smile_trollface:  Beyond more than just you @Exocet6951

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,975 battles
19 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Then there's a large boost in the shape of a marathon, then it dies down. And you have number to back this up? All I have asked is someone to post the data showing a dwindling player base. Facts Mate Facts show me the numbers

That's not a sign of a healthy game that stands on its own legs.  What have we been given for free Jun/July 2017 that explains a 41% increase over same period last year 

How anyone could call that stable is beyond me. My point is its not stable its increasing Month on Month.

As i said in very first post can someone please show me the player base is dwindling. and peak number of players means very little. time spent playing means a lot

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Shhhhh come on, public window licking is a serious crime!

On a serious note, I think Amon_ITA might be on to something. And honestly, without taking into account players online, MM is fast unless playing on very odd hours and while that isn't as important for the longevity of the game it is important for my enjoyment. I even bought a ship lately.. giving money to WG. Guess they restored some faith lost :cap_like:

Not saying there aren't any issues, but since there seem to be people who even LIKE some things I have issues with, I guess that it doesn't really matter if I think things are bad. What matters is how much money is being spent, and since most checkboxes on the BB bingo / development road map have been checked, there isn't much else which can go terribly wrong, like a CV rebalance or putting radar on new BB's.....

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,186 posts
2,402 battles
23 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

What matters is how much money is being spent, and since most checkboxes on the BB bingo / development road map have been checked, there isn't much else which can go terribly wrong, like a CV rebalance or putting radar on new BB's.....

Never ever underestimate the ability of a development team to FUBAR their product. :Smile_Default:

Players
2,246 posts
14,319 battles
4 hours ago, T0byJug said:

...Where do people get the Idea Warships is losing its player base...

The player base could be expanding contracting or staying the same, and while it is somewhat important, what is critical is the Whales.  WG has people on this... this out weight virtually everything, but we can't see these numbers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free to play: Understanding your spenders

95% of your players will never spend money in your game

The reality we must accept in free to play gaming is that the majority of people who install or sign up for a game will never spend a cent on it.The amount can vary depending on the genre, target audience of your game as well as the platform your game is published on.

This naturally leads to ask what is the magic ingredient that turns players into paying users. While your game design knowledge will tell you what works in theory, you will still need to find out what works for your game and what doesn’t.

In this post we will show you:

1. Which metrics you can look at
2. How you can segment and filter your users to understand what drives your payers.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles

Well, we already have 5 BB s 3 per team, we ll have 8-9 BBs per team with the Brit BBs, but after that there are no more lines to draw more players, not so many French and Italian players.... so next year will be problematic.

Players
168 posts
19,984 battles
7 hours ago, T0byJug said:

I had a quick look 

https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/eu/total

[SNI]
Players
488 posts
8,160 battles
24 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Well, we already have 5 BB s 3 per team, we ll have 8-9 BBs per team with the Brit BBs, but after that there are no more lines to draw more players, not so many French and Italian players.... so next year will be problematic.

This nationality stuff worries me too.

i mean, I like ships and don't personally care what nation built them. But I'm sure that most players don't share my opinion on the matter.

What will happen after the British battleships and destroyers ?