You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
waxx25

Confession of an ex potato

55 comments in this topic

Players
1,011 posts
10,311 battles

I played almost all my closed beta in Co-op wondering why I am always facing bots

I played over 150 games of co-op after the game went public before I realised that Random battles were an option.

I didn't know why my American dd's were getting outspotted until I reached tier 8

At 1000 battles I had a WR of 48%

It took me a solid 3k battles before I learned how to hit the enemy with the first volley

I used to think Notser and Ichase were amazing players (sad I know)

It took me 6k battles to realise that spotter plane on a tier x BB is better than fighter

I used to think that only the best hardcore players play alone and not in division (kidding thats just stupid)

After the German BB's came out it took me 5-6 encounters with my Benson to learn they had hydro.

I am just now becoming a "unicum" cv player after more than 8k battles

I used to think that my losses were because of my team.

By the time I got my first two tier x ships (Gearing and Montana) my record dmg game was in an Arkansas Beta for 174k dmg

I used the 20km torps on the shima

• Cool 18

[BAZI]
Beta Tester
2,672 posts
8,724 battles

I am surprised by your gross incompetence in the early days. Arent you the same waxx25 that I saw running around in WoT before WoWs started? You didnt appear to be a retard skillwise and there is so much that carries over.

Players
1,071 posts
8,202 battles

I've played more than 4000 battles on EU plus another 1000 on NA and I still wait for the day where I can announce that I'm an ex-potato. Until then, I remain a potato who has it's moments. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,230 posts
7,045 battles
42 minutes ago, waxx25 said:

At 1000 battles I had a WR of 48%

i got 44,5% at 500 battles, beat that :cap_cool:

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,007 posts
8,067 battles

Well to be honest in the current meta the 20km torps are not that bad. Gunboats like Grozovoi and Z-52 can almost outspot you, planes and almost 12km radars can wreck you etc. My brother plays the 20km torps and use them for area denial/aiming at multiple targets. Shima is better at spotting/capping/shooting than torping currently. Its sad.

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles

I am proud to be a potato. :cap_cool:

• Cool 3

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,230 posts
7,045 battles
29 minutes ago, MaxxyNL said:

I am proud to be a potato. :cap_cool:

you wish !

Players
1,648 posts
12,122 battles

"I used to be a potato like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee learned about the game mechanics" :)

In the beginning, I only cared about the ships, not the game in any competitive sense. I thought just taking part in the battle and pretend to do what the others do was enough.

I began understanding game mechanics when I had Nagato almost fully upgraded.

I used free-xp conversion and a credits bundle to get Yamato during a Christmas sale which I regret today (Izumo was awful back then but I never learned how to handle the hull size)

I still have not learned how to Yamato. After almost 500 battles with her, her stats are slooowly becoming worthy of her power.

I still play "stupidly aggressive", and sometimes suicide rush the enemy if someone calls me a coward.

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
936 posts
4,198 battles
5 minutes ago, principat121 said:

typical purple Flamuu-fanboi-syndrom

Flamu actually has good solo stats though.

[NED]
Players
4,194 posts
11,706 battles

Wonderful topic OP! It was a glorious path of recognition for me. Statwise I'm still a complete potato.

I have one confession more... It took me quite a lot of matches (in the 100 range) before I stopped firing at the lands/ islands in order to hit the Citadel...

Lost_Citadel_Jonas_De_Ro_full.jpg

• Cool 4

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,230 posts
7,045 battles

all the "crossing the T" in alpha, because everybody was completely clueless

priceless times 

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,069 posts
17,316 battles

I see this sort of confessions are in fashion right now. So let s not stop here.

Who s an alcoholic? Who s doing drugs? Who s cheating on his woman? Who s jerking off?

:Smile_teethhappy:

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,069 posts
17,316 battles
5 hours ago, waxx25 said:

I used to think that only the best hardcore players play alone and not in division (kidding thats just stupid)

Actually you got that right...

Players
284 posts
3,020 battles

I remember long long ago when we crossed paths and I think we did some lovely taunting back and forth. Back then I remember checking your stats and being surprised that they were as blue as mine. Ah, how far you have come. :cap_like:

Also, keep using those 20km torps. Nothing is more satisfying knowing that you maximized the panic time of the potatoes that could not get out of the way :cap_look:

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,962 battles

lol I could have written that text myself, it feels so familiar

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,976 battles
3 hours ago, 22cm said:

Who s an alcoholic? Who s doing drugs? Who s cheating on his woman? Who s jerking off?

I didn't realize that was such a bad thing. :cap_wander_2:

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,179 posts
2,399 battles
3 hours ago, 22cm said:

Who s jerking off?

95% of men freely admit they do.

The other 5% are liars :Smile_teethhappy:

Must admit it took me a while to realize crossing the T was bad really really bad.

• Cool 1

Players
1,011 posts
10,311 battles
9 hours ago, allufewig said:

I am surprised by your gross incompetence in the early days. Arent you the same waxx25 that I saw running around in WoT before WoWs started? You didnt appear to be a retard skillwise and there is so much that carries over.

I am that same person but as you can see in my signature I have more than made up for my bad beginnings.

7 hours ago, principat121 said:

typical purple Flamuu-fanboi-syndrom

hater alert.

27 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

95% of men freely admit they do.

The other 5% are liars :Smile_teethhappy:

Must admit it took me a while to realize crossing the T was bad really really bad.

yea i didnt realize that it needed confession. It's like confessing that I breathe air.

1 hour ago, Noobsplatter said:

I remember long long ago when we crossed paths and I think we did some lovely taunting back and forth. Back then I remember checking your stats and being surprised that they were as blue as mine. Ah, how far you have come. :cap_like:

Also, keep using those 20km torps. Nothing is more satisfying knowing that you maximized the panic time of the potatoes that could not get out of the way :cap_look:

I believe we did, I am an avid chat thug in randoms.

I said I used to use 20km torps lol. The 12km non-speed boosted torps give me far better results, to the point that I actually enjoy the shima.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester, Players
3,371 posts
8,811 battles
5 hours ago, 22cm said:

Who s jerking off?

1396a592b6d7630d15869700ff3e8297895eac05

• Cool 1

Players
1,343 posts
3,583 battles

I've played around 1200-1300 battles, so technically still a potato.

The difference is I watched youtube videos from Jingles, Fly and Phontomen (still waiting for Kitakami to come back :fish_aqua:) before finally starting the game with the advent of the RN CLs.

So I already knew a lot of the ins-and-outs of the game mechanics before I started playing.

As such, I can claim at least partial responsibility for my 50% WR up to this point - the other part comes from my allies putting up with me. :cap_like:

I am still guilty of blaming my team for a fair number of losses. Mostly when I'm one of the last ships alive and we have killed like 2 enemies between us.

I tend to only get vocal in chat when I can clearly see my team doing something stupid. Such as ignoring my pleas for help when I (in a DD) am solo trying to prevent the enemy team from capping (1 DD vs 2DDs and a CL aint gonna work, fellas). I die and then my team are like "Herp, we gon' cap enemy base. Huh? Why isn't anyone going back?" :fish_palm:

So, basically if people can put up with Mr Knowitall here for another 1200 battles I would appreciate it.

037b5a0d6ed1b3a249fde51830b4a23f2a622f58

[NED]
Players
4,194 posts
11,706 battles

Don't want to necro this thread but neither do I want to be accused of opening a new one. There's something I really need from my heart. A confession of a thing I am STILL doing...

I keep angling to a ship who is firing HE at me. It's a reflex. And the motivation isn't even to present a narrower profile (which is of course somewhat of an advantage). But in my delusion I'm thinking it'll bounce more. 

• Cool 1