Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Takru

WoWs confession by jghawks

70 comments in this topic

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,785 posts
15,991 battles

Just ran across this thread on reddit, made by jghawks.

Everyone is always baffled by the idiots they see. "How could you" or "what the [edited]is he thinking?" all the time. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

• I played 52 battles before I figured out I was playing bots. (I did wonder why we were winning all of our games)

• I played another 50 or so before I figured out what a cap was.

• I played hundreds more before I actually had some concept of actually trying to win. (Watching the game in the new free camera thing made this click like all of a sudden)

• I didn't have a clue how spotting mechanics worked until 1000.

• I was completely unable to judge and use smoke before the circles mod.

• 2500 before I finally got my win rate to 50%.

• I never used AP until Colorado.

• I sniped in my Colorado and I couldn't understand why my hits didn't do any damage.

• I consistently went bow on and backed up in North Carolina.

• I played to Montana, Yamato and Benson before I learned about radar.

• Over 5000 battles before I knew defensive AA makes dive bombers worthless. (Finally played CV. Everyone should play CV at least through tier 6!)

• To this day, my solo win rate is 5% higher than in divisions.

• I still have no idea what to do in ranked.

• And, for the first time after about 8000 battles total, I trolled a guy and ran in to his torps. A Scharnhorst shot 3 salvos in the path of my Fiji over several minutes (way outside the range of any enemy ship he could hit) and I asked him to stop ("Please stop dropping torps at me" - no crap!). He said "NO!" and when the fourth salvo came I kind of just ignored it. I was about to die, they would have been tough to dodge and it would have left me wide open for the Bismarck in front of me anyway. And we had the game won*

I've learned terribly slow, but I've learned. I'm pretty good now. And keep getting better. Everyone can get good eventually, as long as they really want to.

*We almost lost.

First of all, I'd like to thank jghawks for writing that post. To me it is both frightening and relieving. Frightening because this shows pretty clearly that there is way too little information about the game inside the game (even though this has been improved somewhat) and that the more seasoned players tend to just accuse people of being dumb when they really have little opportunity to learn that they're not doing things in an optimal way. It's not that those players couldn't try to find videos on youtube etc to inform themselves, but they would need to feel that they're missing out on something to try and do that in the first place. When you have no reason to assume that what you do is somehow not how it is supposed to be done, you're not actively trying to get better.

On the other hand, it's a relief that that despite the lack of explanation of game mechanics inside the game, people still learn more about the game. Somehow. So not all is lost and not everybody who makes questionable decisions is doing so out of sheer unwillingness to improve.

• Cool 16

[1DSF]
Moderator, In AlfaTesters
3,204 posts
7,395 battles

Actually i dont say the Numbers of Battles i Made bevor i realized WOT has a complex Pen Mechanik behind it. just thought it was Random . :cap_haloween:

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles

Some people are slow....I mean special. At least this person was honest lol..

[TTT]
[TTT]
3,785 posts
15,991 battles
2 hours ago, P2Win said:

At least this person was honest

Which is another thing you don't see in a lot of people.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

If you want to learn, you can. We are living in a times where every bit of information is right there to grab. Considering this game, you have TONS of guides on forums, youtube, reddit, whatever. You just need to sacrifice few hours of your time to google them and read everything you want / need to know about ships / mechanics. But, people are too lazy for that, and people consider themselves to be gods given gift to gaming overall, and to this game, and they refuse to listen to anyone else, while the sad truth is, they suck.

I will always blame WG for insanely poor ingame explanation of game mechanics and everything else (heck, people needed to datamine some things, and personally test the other ones just to get a clue how things are working in this game, which is ridiculous), but that doesn't mean nowadays anyone can't access that info.

[TTT]
[TTT]
3,785 posts
15,991 battles
14 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

If you want to learn, you can.

I think the main problem is that the people who should read up etc, need to know that they're doing something wrong in the first place.

• Cool 1

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
Just now, Takru said:

I think the main problem is that the people who should read up etc, need to know that they're doing something wrong in the first place.

It might sound harsh, but if someone needs to teach you that you wasn't born the smartest guy on the planet, then I'm afraid its already too late.

I mean, its just me, I'm like that and I know that I cannot expect everyone else to share that behavior. But every time I'm INSTALLING new online game (who cares about failing in SP games anyway :) ), I spend few hours of reading up forums, guides etc. to prepare myself for that game, so I'm not the complete dumbass when I start playing it...

• Cool 3

[TTT]
[TTT]
3,785 posts
15,991 battles
1 minute ago, cro_pwr said:

I mean, its just me, I'm like that and I know that I cannot expect everyone else to share that behavior.

Exactly, you can't expect that kind of stuff from others. For most people, a game is just a game, not their one and only hobby. They log in for a few battles every few days and that's it. Unless they are being told that they're performing poorly (in a nice way!), they will not assume that they are performing poorly. At a first glance you just float around and throw shells at each other while the game in fact has a lot more depth than many assume.

• Cool 1

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
Just now, Takru said:

Exactly, you can't expect that kind of stuff from others. For most people, a game is just a game, not their one and only hobby. They log in for a few battles every few days and that's it. Unless they are being told that they're performing poorly (in a nice way!), they will not assume that they are performing poorly. At a first glance you just float around and throw shells at each other while the game in fact has a lot more depth than many assume.

mate, there are TONS of players that are having like 30k avg damage in Yamatos, Hakuryus, etc.
If you cannot understand that you are doing something wrong when you haven't sink a ship in 10 games, then no one on this planet will manage to prove you wrong.

To quote one guy:
"Advices are a complete waste of time. Smart guys don't need them, and fools won't listen to them anyway."  :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
3,785 posts
15,991 battles

mate, there are TONS of players that are having like 30k avg damage in Yamatos, Hakuryus, etc.
If you cannot understand that you are doing something wrong when you haven't sink a ship in 10 games, then no one on this planet will manage to prove you wrong.

While I understand why you're writing that, the point is that there is nothing too obviously wrong about a subjective lack of performance. Just have a look at your average battle when your side loses and someone starts ranting at the team? Most of the time it's exactly those people who contributed to a defeat thanks to their lack of performance.

[BAZI]
Beta Tester
2,808 posts
9,993 battles
36 minutes ago, Takru said:

I tell them everyday that they are doing something wrong. Not in the nicest words maybe, but still. Sadly, failure and incompetence almost always come with the denial of own responsibility.

• Cool 1

[MPM]
Beta Tester
58 posts
4,794 battles
24 minutes ago, allufewig said:

I tell them everyday that they are doing something wrong. Not in the nicest words maybe, but still. Sadly, failure and incompetence almost always come with the denial of own responsibility.

That is part of the problem, how you tell people. Having worked with other culture people for 10+ years, I have learned that its more important how you say something, then what you say. Their culture, age and understanding the language is really important on how they will react to what you are saying and how they respond to it.

• Cool 1

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
1 minute ago, Kehldon said:

That is part of the problem, how you tell people. Having worked with other culture people for 10+ years, I have learned that its more important how you say something, then what you say. Their culture, age and understanding the language is really important on how they will react to what you are saying and how they respond to it.

If a bank robber shows a gun into your face, you just ask him nicely, and he will go away?
Yea, it works just as well with a good portion of WoWS players.

Beta Tester
656 posts
4,502 battles
1 hour ago, cro_pwr said:

It might sound harsh, but if someone needs to teach you that you wasn't born the smartest guy on the planet, then I'm afraid its already too late.

I mean, its just me, I'm like that and I know that I cannot expect everyone else to share that behavior. But every time I'm INSTALLING new online game (who cares about failing in SP games anyway :) ), I spend few hours of reading up forums, guides etc. to prepare myself for that game, so I'm not the complete dumbass when I start playing it...

Tbh. I do that for every game I play as well. The only game I ever really 'Naturally' learned was Blazing Angles on the Xbox 360 :Smile_teethhappy:

[TTT]
[TTT]
3,785 posts
15,991 battles
2 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

If a bank robber shows a gun into your face, you just ask him nicely, and he will go away?

That's why police has negotiators for that kind of situation.

Also, consider that the sole reason for you being a unicum player is that there's that many people out there who are making more mistakes than you or who just don't know they are making mistakes.

If you want less "wtf are they doing moments", you too need to try to improve the quality of players. First step is to politely point out mistakes. If they don't want to improve, that's their choice. Yelling at someone usually will result in them doing the opposite of what you want them to do.

• Cool 3

[MPM]
Beta Tester
58 posts
4,794 battles
4 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

If bank robber sticks a gun in my face, I would agrea with him and let him go on with his doings. I dont have power to change him nor the will to try.

If a fellow player has problem, ask yourself the same question, do you have the power and will to try and change him. Perhaps you do, but just yelling at him will put him in a self defence mode and he will not respond well, but being polite and suggest improvements MIGHT work.

• Cool 1

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
1 minute ago, Kehldon said:

If bank robber sticks a gun in my face, I would agrea with him and let him go on with his doings. I dont have power to change him nor the will to try.

If a fellow player has problem, ask yourself the same question, do you have the power and will to try and change him. Perhaps you do, but just yelling at him will put him in a self defence mode and he will not respond well, but being polite and suggest improvements MIGHT work.

As I said 10 times allready.
It sound nice, but it doesn't work.

[MPM]
Beta Tester
58 posts
4,794 battles

As I said 10 times allready.
It sound nice, but it doesn't work.

It never does, if you never try.

[POP]
Weekend Tester
764 posts

Intriguing stuff in a way, but kind of fails to answer the all important "why" or "how" part of the question adequately. Instructions and tutorials are certainly one part of the problem and something WG need to improve upon but how on earth do you play 1000 games before figuring out spotting or 5000 games before you find out what defensive fire does? 

You could say that the guy is a casual player who doesn't care about the details of the gameplay etc etc but so far he has played over 8000 games! That's a huge investment in time and trouble, I consider myself a supergrinder with all tier X ships and the Missouri (without ever converting XP) and I've played less than that! I can completely understand how someone who just wants to do some pew pew with big ships every now and then doesn't care too much about the intricacies of gameplay, but here we are clearly looking at someone who is really into the game and plays a lot, but studies very very little.

Players
40 posts
460 battles

Videogames by definition are just entertainment , don't expect all the people to make a "proffesion" out of it (this is not Starcraft in S.Korea) . If some of them really want to learn more about the game and try to improve themselves , there's already plenty of WoWS "educational videos" on youtube.

For those of you that are masochists , I'm sure the game developers can come up with some bots that have a 100% accuracy on citadel hits just to please you. 

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
2 minutes ago, Kehldon said:

It never does, if you never try.

are you really pulling my leg now?
do you really think that in my 7k battles and 2.2k posts on forums, I never tried to politely explain something to "not so good" players?
Just check the forums. You will find topics in which guys with 40% WR and 300 PR are telling everyone else " F you guys, you are dumb and I know how to play better then all of you".

Players
40 posts
460 battles

do you really think that in my 7k battles and 2.2k posts on forums, I never tried to politely explain something to "not so good" players?
Just check the forums. You will find topics in which guys with 40% WR and 300 PR are telling everyone else " F you guys, you are dumb and I know how to play better then all of you".

So just simply ignore them if it bothers you .

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
2 minutes ago, Onion_Rounds said:

So just simply ignore them if it bothers you .

miss-the-point.png

[MPM]
Beta Tester
58 posts
4,794 battles
8 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

Yes, I was trying to trigger you.

I might have failed at my own teachings here, trying to improve you, but instead putting you in a defensive mode, but I dont think you are a lost cause, despite what you say. :)

About the general player, I know for a fact that most people can be educated, its just about how you go about it that will determind the successrate, which is really my point.
Im not trying to get you or anyone else for that matter to go and "adopt a tomatoe", more to mind how you express yourself when "correcting" other players.

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
2 minutes ago, Kehldon said:

Im not trying to get you or anyone else for that matter to go and "adopt a tomatoe", more to mind how you express yourself when "correcting" other players.

Its not a problem in "adopting a tomatoe". I'll always try and help players that are trying to learn. As I said, you can check the forums and see how much times I did that allready. But some people just refuse to learn, with their mindset being "I'm too good allready", while they actually suck... And its a fact. Sad fact, but a fact none the less.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this