You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MortenTardo

Balance of the classes(High tier)

101 comments in this topic

Players
1,425 posts
13,055 battles

So today i figured i would try out the good old Gearing again since it has been a while since i played it. 

Now, Since i started playing this game in 2015 the "rock, paper, scissors" logic was always supposed to be a thing. BB's counter CL/CA's, CL/CA's counter DD's and so forth. But after playing a good few games today, i found myself being the target of EVERY other class.

In one of the games today i was alone at C cap, and rest of the team was lemming to A ofc. The only other ship at C was an enemy GKF.

So i thought this would be nice. I could kill him and get the cap.

My first torp set missed. I guess that was thanks to the hydro.

Second set i got one hit for 7k dmg. The third set i get 3 hits for around 20k dmg. Then i get spotted by one of the fighter planes for a few seconds and he does me in for 15k dmg. (Gearing has around 19k HP and no heal btw). It got me thinking. I was not hunting this lonely BB that was way out of position, but he was hunting me. All i could do was start kiting away, but by that time most of my team was dead and it was game over. 

The point is. As a DD now, you are not part of the rock, paper, scissor logic. You are just a mobile smoke, capping and spotting machine for the team that spitts out some torps that most likely is going to miss. And if you hit something, it's most likely another DD sitting in smoke.

infact most of the kills and dmg from today was on other DDs, or an unlucky cruiser sailing into my torps.

You are not a counter to BB's, you are a semi counter to other DD's. That means CV's counter you(Kinda), BB's counter you, cruisers counter you and other DD's counter you.

Anyone else get this feeling or is it just me? 

Also Git gud comments are much appreciated. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
34 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Well, if you insist: git gud.

Rock-paper-scissors is basically dead for a long time. DDs are still a deadly threat to BBs but to get these results they mostly rely on the latter being distracted or unaware of their presence. Or just plain dumb. Otherwise a DD needs to kite, launch torps and hope for the best. A BB isn't able to get a DD due to speed difference (well, there are exceptions like Akizuki) and DD concealment, but DD tends to need so much time to kill his "prey" if the latter can focus on fighting you that it's hardly a counter at this point. More like area denial weapon to get a BB frustrated and force him to sail away.

In fact I'd be inclined to say that there are only three clear counters nowadays:

- BBs counter cruisers

- Gunboats (save for Russian ones because bad concealment hurts that role a lot) counter torpboats.

- CVs counter DDs (mostly by spotting but deadly cross-drops are certainly a thing too)

Cruisers are kinda-sorta counters to both DDs and CVs, but in both cases it's a passive counter rather than an active one: with their presence alone they can make parts of map inaccessible for DDs or planes, but they can't usually hunt down their "prey" efficiently because they have neither the speed and stealth of gunboats nor the reach of BBs or CVs.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Players
1,682 posts
9,146 battles
46 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

I feel you. Feelsbadman.

Also, I hope you noticed how agile the biggest ship in game is when dodging torps?

And elastion is right: about everything has a straight counter, except for one particular class. Guess which.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,563 battles

Git gud.

Or play in try hard windowlicking division with gudder gits.

Also, mandatory loloverconfident misplay of the year 10/420 would detonate again.

• Cool 3

Players
482 posts
7,639 battles

WG loves BBs 
You used to cause pain to BBs?? Bad, bad guy! Let me give Hydro to new ones. Radar to next ones, ah and AP should pen miniboat. One hit half HP sounds good. Now no one will hurt beloved BBs anymore !! Only another BB can do it. So much love !!!

• Cool 1

Players
482 posts
7,639 battles

To be honest with you T10 is not the best place to be a BB IMO right now. But this is for sure more true for a torpedo boat....

[CATS]
Players
14,747 posts
10,882 battles
5 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

So today i figured i would try out the good old Gearing again since it has been a while since i played it. 

Now, Since i started playing this game in 2015 the "rock, paper, scissors" logic was always supposed to be a thing. BB's counter CL/CA's, CL/CA's counter DD's and so forth. But after playing a good few games today, i found myself being the target of EVERY other class.

In one of the games today i was alone at C cap, and rest of the team was lemming to A ofc. The only other ship at C was an enemy GKF.

So i thought this would be nice. I could kill him and get the cap.

My first torp set missed. I guess that was thanks to the hydro.

Second set i got one hit for 7k dmg. The third set i get 3 hits for around 20k dmg. Then i get spotted by one of the fighter planes for a few seconds and he does me in for 15k dmg. (Gearing has around 19k HP and no heal btw). It got me thinking. I was not hunting this lonely BB that was way out of position, but he was hunting me. All i could do was start kiting away, but by that time most of my team was dead and it was game over. 

The point is. As a DD now, you are not part of the rock, paper, scissor logic. You are just a mobile smoke, capping and spotting machine for the team that spitts out some torps that most likely is going to miss. And if you hit something, it's most likely another DD sitting in smoke.

infact most of the kills and dmg from today was on other DDs, or an unlucky cruiser sailing into my torps.

You are not a counter to BB's, you are a semi counter to other DD's. That means CV's counter you(Kinda), BB's counter you, cruisers counter you and other DD's counter you.

Torpedo DD rule No 1 : do not get spotted

Tactic rule No 1: do not go alone into a cap on the opposite side of your team, you can support noone from there and nobody can support you

Beta Tester
808 posts
7,984 battles

As someone who has been playing t10 exclusive for a while now..I think it's balanced. Sure you get in those stupid games with like 5 DD on each side but hey..what can you do? I personally enjoy playing the missouri but getting uptier almost 100% of the time is not worth it (unless I am in a div). I see some of you DD love to push your luck thinking you can jihad torp and when it fails wonder why you get deleted in a few minute when you guys literally have the second highest damage potential damage in this game.

• Cool 1

Players
1,011 posts
10,311 battles
6 minutes ago, P2Win said:

As someone who has been playing t10 exclusive for a while now..I think it's balanced. Sure you get in those stupid games with like 5 DD on each side but hey..what can you do? I personally enjoy playing the missouri but getting uptier almost 100% of the time is not worth it (unless I am in a div). I see some of you DD love to push your luck thinking you can jihad torp and when it fails wonder why you get deleted in a few minute when you guys literally have the second highest damage potential damage in this game.

Well put mate, a slow clap to you.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles
9 minutes ago, P2Win said:

Damage potential. The most useless stat in the game.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
808 posts
7,984 battles
1 minute ago, Nechrom said:

Damage potential. The most useless stat in the game.

So let's make the turn radius of all battleships 10KM. Should make DD life easier for you?

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,985 battles
8 minutes ago, P2Win said:

So let's make the turn radius of all battleships 10KM. Should make DD life easier for you?

Of course. That's exactly what I said. :cap_book:

• Cool 4

Players
349 posts
2,315 battles

I was in my Missouri vs 5 DDs in a TX game yesterday. The damage potential against me was insanely high, so many torps launched. Not a single torpedo hit, granted I did get lucky with the spacing on some of the shima torp walls but the thing that really sold me on the wonderful balance was popping radar and crippling the enemy DDs that had spent so long trying to torp me with an AP salvo and the support from the rest of my team. In the end I was burnt to death by a khaba. I've never seen so much potential damage go to waste before.

We won very easily by repeatedly radaring the caps as their DDs pushed on to them. I'm definitely worried about how passive DD play will get with a bunch more Radar BBs in the game.

[GS-K]
Players
23 posts

play tactical.

get rid of the threat first and then cap. Nobody is making you rush into the cap if you have the odds against you. I like the fact that you  will have to use more brains than the straight foward "I'm a Destroyer so I have the right to cap and only be scared of other Destroyers".

Considering Gunboats can burn down a t10 Battleship could be considered a joke if you want to argue on that level.

[IDDQD]
Players
1,753 posts
15,971 battles
2 hours ago, P2Win said:

second highest damage potential damage in this game.

Where you get this? When I check whatever player DDs are on bottom, even you - when I dont count CVs since you dont play them. Flamu - DDs on bottom, ect.

[OSC]
Players
2,731 posts
10,257 battles

its not rock - paper - scissors for a long time allready. Its rock - paper - shotgun. And guess which class is shotgun.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,686 posts
9,234 battles
10 minutes ago, Quetak said:

Where you get this? When I check whatever player DDs are on bottom, even you - when I dont count CVs since you dont play them. Flamu - DDs on bottom, ect.

What he means is the absolutely hilariously pointless "what if every single torpedo hits" metric.

Which again would make DDs be at the bottom, since torpedoes have very slow reload, and 250k potential damage every 120 seconds is only twice as good as a SINGLE BB salvo of 9x406mm guns where all shells citpen.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,753 posts
15,971 battles
1 minute ago, Exocet6951 said:

What he means is the absolutely hilariously pointless "what if every single torpedo hits" metric.

Which again would make DDs be at the bottom, since torpedoes have very slow reload, and 250k potential damage every 120 seconds is only twice as good as a SINGLE BB salvo of 9x406mm guns where all shells citpen.

aaaah... so i have potential to beat Messi in 1v1 if everything from my imagination goes perfect :Smile_facepalm:

Players
1,425 posts
13,055 battles
37 minutes ago, Doghunt101 said:

play tactical.

get rid of the threat first and then cap. Nobody is making you rush into the cap if you have the odds against you. I like the fact that you  will have to use more brains than the straight foward "I'm a Destroyer so I have the right to cap and only be scared of other Destroyers".

Considering Gunboats can burn down a t10 Battleship could be considered a joke if you want to argue on that level.

Im not the guy rushing caps to sit broadside to the enemy in smoke when i play DDs, But lets face it, if you dont contest caps, who is going to do it? 

RU DDs can burn down BBs yes.

[GS-K]
Players
23 posts
3 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

Im not the guy rushing caps to sit broadside to the enemy in smoke when i play DDs, But lets face it, if you dont contest caps, who is going to do it? 

RU DDs can burn down BBs yes.

well.. playing tactical is thinking around a corner.

You can't take it right now then make sure you can later. Get rid of threats first.

I don'T see a problem with Bb's having Sonar/Radar. I do have a problem with a BB getting burned to sh'*t by a small tin can. Destroyers have stealth and torpedos ppl should utilize the tool they have.

Atm BB's are getting fire from: Enemy BB's/Cruisers/Destroyers/Carriers without any manner to roundhouse kick that problem.

So having a possibilty to keep at least some of the threat potential down a bit is ok iho.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,563 battles
7 minutes ago, Doghunt101 said:

I don'T see a problem with Bb's having Sonar/Radar. I do have a problem with a BB getting burned to sh'*t by a small tin can. Destroyers have stealth and torpedos ppl should utilize the tool they have.

Atm BB's are getting fire from: Enemy BB's/Cruisers/Destroyers/Carriers without any manner to roundhouse kick that problem.

So having a possibilty to keep at least some of the threat potential down a bit is ok iho.

Except that BBs can totally roundhouse kick cruisers, or be nearly impervious to CV attacks if they just stick with any cruiser that has defensive AA, can angle for days against enemy BBs ... and the little factual tidbit about DDs being designed as somewhat of a counter to BBs so they're supposed to be good at harassing them?

Players
671 posts
21 minutes ago, Doghunt101 said:

I'm not going to even bother pointing out how wrong that is, so...

giphy.gif

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles
2 hours ago, Doghunt101 said:

well.. playing tactical is thinking around a corner.

You can't take it right now then make sure you can later. Get rid of threats first.

Someone post the roadmap he will be very happy to see most boxes been ticked.

Players
2,245 posts
14,319 battles
2 hours ago, Doghunt101 said:

... I do have a problem with a BB getting burned to sh'*t by a small tin can...

If your BB (mid tier) is "getting burned to sh'*t by a small tin can" ... you do have a problem.

• Cool 1

[GS-K]
Players
23 posts
1 hour ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

If your BB (mid tier) is "getting burned to sh'*t by a small tin can" ... you do have a problem.

nope talking about the t10 potatoe situation where your cruisers and DDs RUN as soon as they see an enemy and your trying to keep up with them while you have a pack of enemy fans on your tail leisurily shooting some HE on your butt.

3 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Except that BBs can totally roundhouse kick cruisers, or be nearly impervious to CV attacks if they just stick with any cruiser that has defensive AA, can angle for days against enemy BBs ... and the little factual tidbit about DDs being designed as somewhat of a counter to BBs so they're supposed to be good at harassing them?

Read the above situation (only one of the fubars you can run into) and you show me how you roundhouse out of it. Your to big to be missed, to slow to run away and the enemy will be dodging your retaliation. And even if you hit every time (and you dodge a few hits). You will have enough fires on you to keep that healthbar going on a nonstop downward spiral.

This doesn't happen all the time if you use some brains playing but it does happen frequently enough imo.

(Not going to bother to quote the other replies of the dudes living out their superiority complex)

:cap_haloween: