You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fiery_Kathy

Gate - Anime recommendation

99 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
3,724 battles

Seriously this show is really good if you like military anime. The base concept is the Japanese self defence force fighting fantasy armies. (mostly Roman like soldiers) together with quite some political intrigue.
The combat is really epic. I give this show a 10/10, it didnt bore me for a second.
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri is the official name (Gate: Thus the JSDF fought here). 

unknown.thumb.png.35c9ac8690d0dbe7c85bb08d98cb7ea0.png

tumblr_o11cesmkT51qdfvslo2_500.gif.36db87a298399d54b1ec522182aa6a1c.gif

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
929 posts
5,582 battles

Is this the show with a legal loli? I've held this show at bay for some time now and perhaps i should start chewing through?

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,381 posts
13,776 battles

The anime would've been a lot better had it had a more serious protagonist imo.

Still, I enjoyed watching it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
3,724 battles
1 minute ago, NyronGT said:

Is this the show with a legal loli? I've held this show at bay for some time now and perhaps i should start chewing through?

I guess you mean Rory, she is badass tho. I really recommend you doing so, I saw a review about it a few months ago and the reviewer didnt like it, so I put it on hold. Biggest mistake I've made.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
3,724 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

The anime would've been a lot better had it had a more serious protagonist imo.

Still, I enjoyed watching it.

It adds a comedic element tho

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,993 posts
7,167 battles

Welp, prolly need to watch it someday* then. This was already on my tiny to watch list, but had forgotten/removed it already.

*soonTM:Smile_trollface:

Only anime I have managed to watch this year was the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

• Cool 1

[SNUBS]
Players
1,265 posts
6,668 battles

ye this is a good anime

waiting for the next season 

Alpha Tester
929 posts
5,582 battles

Soooo i watched the first episode and a portion of the second...

Spoiler

Emperor, despite the loss of, according to the show, 60% of military strength, is still willing to send more soldiers to slaughter. From what i've seen, he has no chances of winning unless the sheer number remaining forces' will be enough. Doubtful, imo. Did no one, seriously no one thought of sending an unarmed representative to negotiate?? This whole 'Empire' started off with mindless slaughter of civilians...Unless there's something i don't know. Then again, it's been stated that eathlings know nothing about the other side of the Gate. As such, they couldn't have been the initial aggressors.  Bottom line is: Empire is at disadvantage and it should plea for mercy, right after apologising for vicious acts of aggresion on civilians. I wouldn't be surprised if the Empire presented actual DEMANDS to JSDF - the same forces which obliterated most of their grunts mind you. Sticks and stones much?

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,903 posts
3,805 battles
1 hour ago, txtspeak said:

now imma go fight a dragon with an F-4 Phantom

Still not as metal as fighting dragons in a N1K2 straight from WW2 in Drifters.

Spoiler

Drifters-Act-3-Kanno-Naoshi-and-Dragon-T

Gate at times felt like a giant recruitment add for the JSDF. Protagonist was a bit too much for me as well.
Still I enjoyed it for what it was.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
929 posts
5,582 battles

Spam won't be written by itself, amrite?

This show be like

brbbk.jpg?a416496

I be like

latest?cb=20160817151144

[SCRUB]
Players
7,279 posts
9,499 battles

To be perfectly honest, the anime is mediocre at best, at least in my opinion.

The fights are neat, but after the first couple big clashes (Alnus Hill, Italica and the Ancient Fire Dragon) the fights lose their wow factor and by then they're just generic OP modern military roflstomping medieval armies. The series hasn't been accused of being downright propagandistic JSDF fanwank for no reason.

And the anime itself is simply miscast. A-1 Productions almost exclusively does shounen shows (mostly slice of life and romances), but the novels are quite clearly seinen material (for whom I'm speaking gibberish, shounen means the target audience are young teenagers and seinen is for young adults to adults) ... it shows in animation, character design and the depiction of adult themes like violence. If we'd compare the anime with the manga (which is a seinen production as opposed to the anime's shounen) you can see the differences like knight and day.

The anime is particularily guilty of simply cutting out essential scenes, most notably Rory's first presentation which is quite crucial to define her outlook on violence which is an inherent trait for her characterization.

Or in short, if you're watching the anime, I dare say you're doing yourself a disfavour. I'd recommend reading the manga instead and perhaps watch clips of the anime for scenes you really like, but overall the manga is bounds ahead.

Spoiler alert: Kuribayashi's big badass moment comparision:

Do note the extreme difference in the handling of depicting the violence, that's one of the differences between a shounen and a seinen. The differences don't stop there, but it's easil the most notable difference. The manage being a seinen is generally more mature and it helps drive the setting. There's a difference between the anime with the JSDF just roflstomping knights and legions with offscreen violence and camera cuts ... and the manga that is clearly driving home the difference in power to make viscerally clear exactly how terrifying that is for the people that are fighting against the JSDF. That gives the show that slight edge to it that doesn't make the action utterly boring.

Welp, that's my opinion on this topic ...

If you want a great military anime, I do recommend 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes'. An oldie (80s anime) and a bit of a slow burner at the start, but it really picks up and developes into a real epic (110 episodes ...). Think 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (or Game of Thrones for anyone who only watched the TV series) ... IN SPACE!!!

Otherwise, if you're looking for (para-) militarily themed action, I wholeheartedly recommend 'Black Lagoon' (absolutely amazing and the action in particular is simply balls, plus surprisingly deep and diverse characters, Hansel and Gretel will bring you to tears) and 'Jormungand' (has a bit of a weak ending, but the the rest of the show is good and the action topnotch, I'm just saying firing a 122mm fieldhowitzer beehive shell from a cargo airplane).

'Drifters' is also a neat snack (infamous warriors/soldiers from all eras stranded on a fantasy world to fight for two different factions) with a similar setting like 'Gate'.

... sorry by the way if that sounded too much like a rant. I had discovered the manga and grew quite fond of it a good while before the anime became a thing and was ecstatic about it, until I saw A-1 Pictures thoroughly disappointed me, so yeah -  my opinion about the anime version is a bit jaded. The series itself is enjoyable (despite still being JSDF fanwank) for what it does and ths story is actually quite interesting with decent characters (if they aren't butchered by the anime cutting crap out or making them into comically cute girls), it's just that the manga is plain better imho.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,381 posts
13,776 battles
14 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

you can see the differences like knight and day.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

But yeah, I second the recommendation for the manga. It conveys the setting and story much better.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
8,056 posts
6,696 battles

I totally agree with Aotearas.

This anime is a huge, mistaken failure.

Gate is a seinen manga and a very serious novel though with some comedic moment, it's showing the whole horror of european war during the middle age. It's barbaric, violent, depicts horrible scene where the victor takes everything from the loser, and on the other hand also shows the dirty sides of the modern times with all the country in the world wanting to take a slice off that "treasure box and unpolluted world".

The Gate anime wasn't anything like that. It was transformed into some moe blob with comedy, censored everything, and was basically made into a shônen. It's a huge waste of potential.

If I had a Gate anime to recommend, I'd talk about Steins;Gate. xD

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

I gotta be honest, I'm very hesitant to read the manga.

Generally I dont read manga because its dificult to find online and the website is dificult to navigate and/or full of malware adverts

and then when I do, it just feels wrong reading manga on a laptop screen

[UTW]
8,056 posts
6,696 battles
5 minutes ago, txtspeak said:

I gotta be honest, I'm very hesitant to read the manga.

Generally I dont read manga because its dificult to find online and the website is dificult to navigate and/or full of malware adverts

and then when I do, it just feels wrong reading manga on a laptop screen

I'm using Bato.to as a website for reading manga.

You need to create an account, but it isn't bothersome at all with adds and is actually nicely made.

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles
Just now, ShinGetsu said:

I'm using Bato.to as a website for reading manga.

You need to create an account, but it isn't bothersome at all with adds and is actually nicely made.

I'm a lazy bastard and thats too much effort

[UTW]
8,056 posts
6,696 battles

Oh c'mon, it's a matter of seconds, and it doesn't even spam your mail account.

You can set up follows in series that interest you too.

Players
248 posts
5,147 battles

I like gate as anime but I prefere the manga too. first is longer and have deeper story and in the anime they censored some thing (maybe to make it more kid-friendly) 

I suggest to watch it and then read the manga I like how finally in a show the enemy of the other side of the gate that fight like the Roman Empire is crushed by the firearms.

One thing that is maybe boring is how at the end it look like is a propaganda manga where JSDF is the good guy and all the other are bad guys

Beta Tester
1,020 posts
3,724 battles
13 hours ago, Aotearas said:

... sorry by the way if that sounded too much like a rant. I had discovered the manga and grew quite fond of it a good while before the anime became a thing and was ecstatic about it, until I saw A-1 Pictures thoroughly disappointed me, so yeah -  my opinion about the anime version is a bit jaded. The series itself is enjoyable (despite still being JSDF fanwank) for what it does and ths story is actually quite interesting with decent characters (if they aren't butchered by the anime cutting crap out or making them into comically cute girls), it's just that the manga is plain better imho.

I appreciate you giving your opinion but I liked the anime a lot myself. I'm not a big reader and tend to avoid manga just like @txtspeak because I get like no satisfaction from reading stills.
In general I rate anime quite highly as long as they dont bore me like the hatefull 8 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu) or ReZero a little over halfway the season, both of which I dropped because they bore me out.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,279 posts
9,499 battles

Might want to retry Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, because it really picks up after the halfway mark and the progatonist steps up his game considerably.

As for other anime that will most definately not bore you: Black Lagoon, One-Punch Man and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo.

I can recommend plenty others though!

[UTW]
8,056 posts
6,696 battles

Don't get me started on recommendation. XD

I'll still throw the Fate franchise there. It's a must watch imo. Even only for the incredible quality of ufotable animation. Fate/Zero, Fate/UBW 2014. And lately the alternative story Fate/Apocrypha by A-1Pictures which is very promising.

Konosuba in the comedy genre is indeed awesome. Deen butchered a bit the chara design but it's still funny as hell. Also I can only recommend Angel Beats for the poor souls that didn't saw it yet.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,903 posts
3,805 battles

Is this now a general recommendation thread?
In that case I will recommend Seirei no Moribito and Hellsing Ultimate as both are awesome action series.

Fate and Black Lagoon were great as well.

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

Can anyone here give me a good case for watching Zipang.

I heard about this being an anime where a bunch of JMSDF Destroyers get sent back through time to 1943 and have to deal with the militaries of then as well as the political rammifications of that happening.

So I went and watched the first episode and was bored to tears with how bad the writing was.

it seemed to start by introducing some characters by just having two other randoms gossip about them and I just lost interest then and there.

Can someone put forward a case for this anime

Players
248 posts
5,147 battles

Raccomedation: Muv luv series (maybe is better to play the vn before but...) monogatari series and Hataraku Maou sama, I also raccomend Fate and Konosuba.

if you want to suicide from depression i suggest Clannad that will hurt a lot (season 2 is the best)