You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
tamagotchi

Lead indicator gives huge advantage to torp-equipped BBs and CAs, is this intentional?

8 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
113 posts
6,445 battles

More often than not, I find the lead indicator to be much more useful than the torps themselves on torp-equipped BBs and CAs, as it gives reliable information about the target ship's speed and heading. For a start, it allows me to effectively shoot at targets hiding behind islands, even without a spotter plane in the sky. Furthermore, it helps a great deal when I am firing at bow-on and accelerating / decelerating targets. Although the smoke trail can be used for the same purpose, it is certainly not as useful as the torp lead indicator. First, you usually can't see smoke behind an island. Second, the smoke trail always 'lags behind' when the target ship is rapidly changing its course or speed but the lead indicator updates in real-time. To me, the availability of this extra information significantly improved the handling experience of ships with torps (even the most useless short-range bad-angle ones). The contrast is best felt on ships of the same / similar classes, such as Bismarck and Tirpitz, or Belfast and Fiji. Yet I find the advantage of torp lead indicator seldomly discussed on the forum or the wiki pages. In fact, I start wonder whether this advantage is an intentional design choice that has been taken into account during balancing or is it just an "unexpected" benefit.

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,963 battles

One can see if a ship is sailing slow(er) by looking at the smoke popping from the smokestack of a ship, so the torp indicator is just a second confimation tool in that regard. 

And regardless of the speed,you still have to lead properly. The torp lead indicator can't help you with that since bullets tend to travel alot faster.

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

well. Since cruisers don't use their torpedoes to sink ships most of the time (getting close is a huge problem outside of ambushes), it is a fair use of the mechanic.

ships without torpedoes have something to compensate. Like higher dpm on their main batteries or very powerful gimmicks like radar or smoke.

on cruisers with torpedoes, the torpedoes are the gimmick.

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
113 posts
6,445 battles

Indeed smoke gives good estimate when the target is sailing at a more-or-less constant speed, but the shape of the smoke trail does not change immediately when the target is accelerating of slowing down. This is especially annoying when the ships (often equipped with that engine modification thing) is moving back and forth near an island.

Supertester
2,374 posts
9,483 battles
14 minutes ago, lycea said:

One can see if a ship is sailing slow(er) by looking at the smoke popping from the smokestack of a ship, so the torp indicator is just a second confimation tool in that regard. 

And regardless of the speed,you still have to lead properly. The torp lead indicator can't help you with that since bullets tend to travel alot faster.

Smoke can be misleading and sometimes hard to see. Also, when a ship starts accelerating from a hault, smoke needs some time to show you if that acceleration will be backwards or forwards, same story when decellerating.

OP is kinda right in this regard, which is also a reason why I never viewed that movement lights mod some people were criticizing so harshly as damaging to the game. 

[IDDQD]
Players
1,753 posts
15,987 battles

Im using it very often to check speeds - its more reliable than smoke stacks and much faster - you can check more targets within second just by changing target lock.

At least we can call this "skill" not like that mode which shows you without any effort.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,132 posts
11,682 battles

The most op thing ever is the navigator mod. It helps you BB far better...

Torp lead thing is nice too I guess.

[G-S-W]
Beta Tester
131 posts
7,051 battles
1 hour ago, lycea said:

And for some ships you cant see the smoke at all, those flat IJN CVs with their funnel on the side. (or when a ship is burning and you are at the wrong angle)

Torpedolead is much more accurate than smoke. And its not for you where to aim, but to know in which direction the enemy is going and if he is changing course.