Sign in to follow this  
Arkhannan

How is "Main battery hit ratio" calculated?

6 comments in this topic

[FLEET]
Beta Tester
66 posts
6,163 battles

Hi guys,

A friend who is new to the game and I, have been talking a bit about game mechanics. He is bit confused why hit MBH ratio is so low (23 %) for the Colorado since he felt he was hitting all his shots yesterday after upgrading from the New Mex which has a notoriously bad 1.5 sigma.

Does anyone have a link from a Wargaming staff that explains the mechanic "behind the scenes" to calculate hit ratio? My (and his) assumption is that it's shells fired that hit / shells fired in total, but he is arguing that it could also be shots fired (thereby meaning "clicks" with the mouse - tripple turrets firing once is 1 shot). 

Also, does it state anywhere if a shot needs to just connect to indicate a hit, or if it has to cause damage i.e. when the in game announcer says: "Target hit!" (meaning you have dealt damage).

Cheers

[BLOBS]
Community Contributor
921 posts
3,733 battles

Basically, using Colorado as an example;

You have 4 dual turrets, so 8 guns total. Let's say you fire a full salvo at an enemy, 8 shells are fired. Now, with Battleship dispersion the way it is, you'd be lucky to get more than 50% of these to hit unless at closer ranges. Let's say you hit 3/8 shells. This would translate to 37.5% hit ratio. It doesn't matter if you get a citadel or just bounce off the armour, a hit is a hit. Don't forget, there will be salvos were you just don't hit anything, and that will drastically lower your MBH over time. 23% MBH is relatively low, a good level to aim for is ~30%, but that can be lowered for BB's due to their sporadic dispersion. For comparison, my Colorado averaged out to 27% over 32 games.

Players
1,677 posts
12,971 battles

Also, keep in mind that once the enemy ship gets nuked by a double citadel, all other shells will not be counted as hits although they are raping the sinking ship. So although you landed a masterful volley, you still only hit 2 of 8 shells.

Players
1,195 posts
9,681 battles

Let me necro this thread ....

Do hits only count for the MBHR if you are locked on a target? And what about, for example cruiser, that camp islands and can only shoot the front guns but the back guns hit only the island because LoS is blocked. Do they also count as 'miss' or do only shell count that hit in a certain radius around the ship, like for example dispersion. We have something similar with torpedoes and potential damage that torps only count as potential damage if they missed the ship within a certain radius.

Players
1,733 posts
17,192 battles

I'm not sure, but I would think they count fired shots and hits regardless of target lock. You know, the two numbers you can see in the detailed report. Just divide them and multiply with 100%. IMO it doesn't matter if you hit an island, a friendly, miss by 2 km or miss by 2 m; a miss is a miss.

Sign in to follow this