Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Fail division and low tier CV appreciation thread

12 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles

Take a gander at this little gem I had just the last game:

shot-17.07.11_15.33.15-0169.jpg

Non-faildivision Bogue gets dragged into a tier VII double CV game due to a Zuiho faildivisioning with a Fusou. Results in tier V CVs (who can't even use alt attacks because WG balance logic) having to share the same airspace with a Saipan and Kaga, both CVs that outperform those poor seals by orders of magnitudes.

I have little sympathy for the faildivisioning Zuiho facing Saipan's tier IX aircraft (karma game on point!) but at the same time that Saipan might aswell have been on the enemy teammeaning a completely innocent Bogue would have to duke it out in this MM due to no fault of his/her own. Not that the fight against a Kaga is much easier as the Bogue can't afford to lose aircraft due to low reserves whereas the Kaga, well ...

This match-up exemplifies PERFECTLY what's wrong with faildivisions and WG's low tier CV balance. No tier V CV should ever face a tier VII CV. Despite the fact that this wouldn't be possible under normal MM circumstances, a simple faildivision can still bypass the standard MM filters and create such a f*cked up scenario. How many such messed up games does WG need to finally get rid of faildivisions? Every ship in a division should be of the same tier, period! If people want to do whacky stuff like fighting tier Xs with an Umikaze they should unlock the Training Room and have some private fun without messing up the game of other people!

And the low tier CV balance, i.e.: removing alt attacks from low tier CVs entirely? Congratulations, I'm sure those two CVs had plenty fun not being able to do anything but click their squadrons onwards whereas the higher tier CVs could simply munch them up without opposition with something as trivial as a strafe where they don't even risk an unlucky RNG roll that might give the poor seals an aircraft kill. And though this particular example is hopefully rarer than common sense, low tier Cvs still have to face that possibility everytime they get matched up in a double CV game with tier VI CVs which can use alt attacks.

WG, if you want to balance low tier CVs, don't neuter quintessential gameplay mechanics. IF low tier CVs are too strong, nerf their damage output (low tier airdropped torps can nuke basically everything with a single good drop, might want to touch that ... just a hint) and fighter performance (lower the strafing AA dps bonus to reduce the gap between those who strafe and those who don't if you wish to reduce the skillgap between sealclubbers and newbies ... also teach people that ought to use alt attacks whenever possible, or that there are alt attacks to begin with!).

tl;dr

WG dun fooked up!

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles
8 minutes ago, Geralt_z_Rivii365 said:

Such drama because some lol low tier carrier.

If you can't see how screwed up this is balance wise given what I just explained, both for the teams and the Bogue that got sucked into this mess because of the enemy faildivision, then I can't help you understand the issue! I can only hope you're never going to be in charge of any balancing whatsoever.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,232 posts
6,543 battles

I had the fun of an OMNI deliberate fail division/clubbing. Saipan teamed with MK (full AA suite) and tirpitz (full AA).

So as a tier 7 carrier I got pulled in to match the saipan. 

Also:

The bogue is in a fail division. Its paired with a kongo that can see tier 7.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,867 posts
16,972 battles

The thing is the Bogue in that match technically speaking also "fail divisioned" despite it not being very obvious at first glance. By divisioning with a Kongo (or any other T5 ship), it can override any preferential MM settings a T5 CV has since the other T5 ship CAN meet T7 CVs in its MM spread.

Obviously no one over at WG thought this stuff through.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles

Pretty sure tier V CVs can see tier VII ships anyway (been a while since I last played a low tier CV so I might be wrong though), but the game has a soft cap of +1 MM for CV tiers so it should only ever see a tier VI max CV in a double CV game.

Not sure if divisioning up with another equal tier non-CV messes that rule up (though I'd guess no from personal experience, I most definately NEVER saw a CV two tiers higher than the one in my division!), but I know for a fact that faildivisions with higher/lower tier ships messes up MM, ergo I put the blame on the obvious faildivision. At the very least, that is an issue that WG can easily solve by simply limiting divisions to the same tier and possibly fix any derivative MM hickups as a side effect.

And get rid of that asinine artificially enforced skillgap between low and mid tier CVs.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,232 posts
6,543 battles

Tier V carriers only have +1/-1MM so will never meet tier 7 anything normally. If platooned with a tier 5 tbey meet anything up to tier 7. If they fail division with a tier 6 they can meet tier 8, but wont meet a tier 8 carrier due to the 1 carrier rule.

The most comedy fail division is a hosho with a tier 5 ending up in a tier 7 game that has an atlanta and a saipan in it

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles
18 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Tier V carriers only have +1/-1MM so will never meet tier 7 anything normally. If platooned with a tier 5 tbey meet anything up to tier 7. If they fail division with a tier 6 they can meet tier 8, but wont meet a tier 8 carrier due to the 1 carrier rule.

The most comedy fail division is a hosho with a tier 5 ending up in a tier 7 game that has an atlanta and a saipan in it

Wasn't that changed when WG stopped giving tier V ships preferential MM and only tier IV or lower get +/-1 MM? It used to be that the first two ships of a line get preferential MM (which included the tier V CV as their line starts at IV) but iirc that rule got abandoned in favour for a unified protected bracket in the low tiers which tier V ships of any class don't benefit from.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles
39 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

As far as Im aware it hasnt changed since this sticky post.

Is that chart correctly updated? Because the last time I checked it after they had updated their chart with the new MM brackets, it was in fact wrong as a couple people in that sticky had pointed out and proven with MM screenshots.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,232 posts
6,543 battles
9 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Is that chart correctly updated? Because the last time I checked it after they had updated their chart with the new MM brackets, it was in fact wrong as a couple people in that sticky had pointed out and proven with MM screenshots.

Well the posted a chart on the 28th. People then complained it was wrong, and put the correct version up on the 29th. I havent seen any patch notes since saying anything has changed so as far as Im aware this is the current MM chart (and therefore stickied at the top of the page)

Sign in to follow this