Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Affeks

Layered Secondary range?

9 comments in this topic

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,902 battles

Disclaimer: this is not a "buff secondaries topic"

The lack of layered range for secondaries have baffled me for a very long time for multiple reasons.

AA has layered range, why not secondaries

The max range of secondary guns historically vary a lot, a 100mm gun cant shoot nearly as far as a 152mm one. I'm not saying that 152mm should get 20km range, but just more than the 100mm would have to make some contrast.

Small caliber secondary guns are usually better than large caliber ones. Smaller guns usually have much higher RoF and are all loaded with HE, yet large caliber secondaries are often limited to AP shells that can rarely pen targets closing in. Even when large caliber secondaries fire HE, they usually dont have that much more firechance compared to smaller calibers despite firing slower than half as fast. Giving larger caliber secondaries more range will give back the historical advantage they currently lack.

What would satisfy me and others like me? Its simple, on ships without uniform secondary guns nerf range on low caliber guns and buff range on larger caliber guns. Here I'll give you some examples. Bismarck/Tirpitz 105mm 7km -> 6km,  150mm 7km -> 8km. Yamato 127mm 7km -> 6.5km, 155mm 7km -> 8km. Or something along those lines get me? You know its not supposed to be a buff, but just something to give large caliber secondaries back some of their historical value.

• Cool 2

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,269 posts
7,428 battles

For the minimap to stay readable having 2 keys would be necessary to turn on/off circles for secondary/AA.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,902 battles
1 minute ago, Geralt_z_Rivii365 said:

For the minimap to stay readable having 2 keys would be necessary to turn on/off circles for secondary/AA.

I guess, personally I dont use any of the optional circles other than concealment. Remembering your ranges on the fly isnt that hard tbh

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,984 battles

Secondaries are limited by their FCS rather than the gun itself, unlike AA. Realistically secondaries would have roughly the same max range as the main guns on a DD.

The current max range is for balance reasons and having the different secondary guns have different max ranges wouldn't make sense.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,131 posts
11,666 battles

Majority of Secondaries are utter trash so I imagine WG made them all the same range to simplify things!!

[BYOB]
Players
3,076 posts
11,078 battles
2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Majority of Secondaries are utter trash so I imagine WG made them all the same range to simplify things!!

Yeah, my thoughts too. Having layered secondaries would mean that every ship with more than one secondary gun would need to be rebalanced from the ground up.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,902 battles
11 hours ago, Nechrom said:

Secondaries are limited by their FCS rather than the gun itself, unlike AA. Realistically secondaries would have roughly the same max range as the main guns on a DD.

The current max range is for balance reasons and having the different secondary guns have different max ranges wouldn't make sense.

Yeah they really needed to limit Montanas secondary range to 6km. Montana completely outmatches both GK and Yamato so limiting her secondary range to 6km really put her where she needed to be.

But yeah were talking realistically here, and realistically many nations used a non uniform secondary because they valued the 6" guns highly... but ingame currently having 2x2 105mm > 2x2 150mm due to RoF and fire starting while historically 105s are barely dual purpose guns even.

2 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Yeah, my thoughts too. Having layered secondaries would mean that every ship with more than one secondary gun would need to be rebalanced from the ground up.

Wait what? So if secondaries are so trash that means if the secondaries are both buffed and nerfed at the same time it means the whole ship needs to be rebalanced!? dafakk 

read the disclaimer I never meant for the secondaries to be buffed lmao. This is all just to make spammy firestarting low caliber guns be less usefull and larger caliber guns be at least somewhat usefull compared to what they currently are.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,984 battles
4 hours ago, Affeks said:

But yeah were talking realistically here, and realistically many nations used a non uniform secondary because they valued the 6" guns highly... but ingame currently having 2x2 105mm > 2x2 150mm due to RoF and fire starting while historically 105s are barely dual purpose guns even.

And they are trying to fix that with the upcoming patch. The 10.5 cm SK C/33 is getting slightly lower damage and lower fire chance, while the 15 cm SK C/28 is getting a RoF buff.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,818 posts
6,902 battles
45 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

And they are trying to fix that with the upcoming patch. The 10.5 cm SK C/33 is getting slightly lower damage and lower fire chance, while the 15 cm SK C/28 is getting a RoF buff.

That is quite nice indeed, this is gonna help somewhat. I dunno if I think its enough though, because WG already had to give the 150s the 1/4 HE pen despite the 105s keeping the 1/6 HE pen. This inconsistency has already confused players already. Clumsy if anything.

Still the Japanese are left with slow firing 152s and 155s and 140s with the penetration value of a toothpick. The americans with the 5"/25s being a much better secondary gun than the 5"/51s despite the 5"/25s being a purposebuilt AA gun and the 5"/51 being an anti ship weapon. 

Sign in to follow this