You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mydgard

What's your winning tactic in Ranked?

38 comments in this topic

[HHRHA]
[HHRHA]
Players
145 posts
9,718 battles

Hi!

I'm courious for your tactic, how do you want to reach R1 (or highest rank what you planned)?

- When do you play?

- How many games?

- How many type ships, one ore more?

- When do you make a breaktime?

- Which period of season is better, what do you prefer?

- Etc. etc.

Perhaps people can get some useful and interesting advice. :cap_book:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,550 battles
21 minutes ago, Mydgard said:

Hi!

I'm courious for your tactic, how do you want to reach R1 (or highest rank what you planned)?

- When do you play? Mostly in the evening as I am employed but you get better Teammates during the workweek (Monday to Thursday)

- How many games? As many as my time allows or until i start losing and getting agitated (see below)

- How many type ships, one ore more? It is best to stick with one Type of ship or even better only playing one single ship over and over but as rank is going on for over a week now i suggest using BBs for the first ranks as it is easier to carry with them. I started on day one and (almost) only played Farragut. American DDs are best in the Top Tier League when you play with good players as they can fully utilize your smoke which gets you more wins in the longrun as this is surprisingly uncommon (having a DD that knows how to smoke) up there.

- When do you make a breaktime? As soon as i lost 2-3 games in a row. Sometimes i end the session for that day right then too.

- Which period of season is better, what do you prefer? I think it is best to start early and get up as fast as you can to not get caught up by the Zomie horde that are abysmal bad players

- Etc. etc.

And the best advice don't let the madness get to you.

Take a breath and make a brake if it gets to much.

Good Luck ;D

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles

Hello Mydgard.

I have played 150 battles so far and reached Rank 5 (currently R6 with 3 stars).

So that makes an average of around 15 games per day.

Mainly played destroyers this Season (Anshan, Farragut , Shinonome) with the odd cruiser game thrown in.

The best tactic for me is to take a short break every 2 or 3 Ranked games (win or lose) and come back a bit later.

Highly doubt I will make it to Rank 1 ,the game becomes very competitive at the R5 - R2 bracket and I am just not good enough to carry all games.

Maybe with the unicum players ranking out (some have already done so), the player base will come to more manageable levels and I could progress, 10 days have passed, 27 to go.

Still a long time ahead if you can manage the frustration.

Cheers

[EUSKA]
Beta Tester
1,363 posts
16,002 battles

Being AFK or suck borders for hum let say 10 min and then farm the wounded.

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles
3 minutes ago, Komaaz said:

Being AFK or suck borders for hum let say 10 min and then farm the wounded.

Nice tactic man, will certainly try it out. :Smile_great:

[EUSKA]
Beta Tester
1,363 posts
16,002 battles
8 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Nice tactic man, will certainly try it out. :Smile_great:

That's what I learned from Fuso players this season.

They should be blessed for showing us the way.

[CATS]
Players
14,676 posts
10,879 battles
44 minutes ago, Mydgard said:

Hi!

- When do you play?

- How many games?

- Etc. etc.

That does not really matter.

What is most comfortable to you, is the answer.

[GOLD]
Players
309 posts
5,623 battles

As cv this year.

Seems to be working well.

However it seems hard to get a game at certain times of the day. 

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

I am only rank 15 so probably I haven't seen the true hell of ranked, but I decided to stick only with my Fuso and it seems to be working so far.

Granted, I have shamed my fellow Fuso's by NOT borderhugging; In some games I even get the Dreadnought award... shamefur dispray:

Spoiler

5963f793eabac_Fusorank.thumb.png.32b9b5e677679b530eb6a3b7651f929c.png

On a more serious note, I'd say stick to one ship you enjoy and is viable for this season and, as hard as it may be, try to take a break should you start seeing a defeat streak. Tilting will net you nothing.

[WGP2W]
Players
1,422 posts
9,970 battles

- When do you play? Whenever I can.

- How many games? Lots.

- How many type ships, one ore more? Independence

- When do you make a breaktime? At start, kill their destroyer(s) asap, strafe few enemy planes too.

- Which period of season is better, what do you prefer? Not important.

- Etc. etc.

Took independence today, stock.... and now i have all upgrades and 60k exp on thatship. Only played ranked games. Lost only 1 i think , where i was first on team so i did not lost any start.
Atm rank 10 ( this morning was 16).

My tactic? Simple, I very quickly send message to enemy CV "This is my space, you are going to run from me, not viceversa".

So far it worked, we will see how it will be on in future.

Advice for all fellow USN CV captains: Do not undrestimate your HE bombers.
Configuration: 1-1-1 all way long.

0-1-2 -> i find too risky, if your team do not have cleveland for example thats why i dont use it. also any Rjyuo have at least 1 fighters.

2-0-1 -> meh, at least I ... can deal with enemy CV with one fighters (strafing is must know ability in this case)

Cpt skills: 5% hp of ships, 5 knots faster torps,reduced remount of torp bombers and air supremacy (1+ fighter and dive bomber)

First 3 minutes of game: I hunt DDs as agressive as I can.
rest: burning BBs, waiting to use repair and then torpin them. Also i always ask teammates to tell me if someone used repair kit.

Never do: hunt other CV, if you outplay other player, you can only earn more expirience by destroying his planes.

Do no forget: proper positioning is must have, indy concealment suck  and very easly you can be on bad place.

Vs another indy:

2-0-1 , always stick to your cruisers and wait for time to strafe his both squadrons at once

1-1-1, skill matchup as he is equal to you

0-1-2 , easy, he must run and your task is to predict where he is.

Vs Ryujo

1-2-2 -> his fighters will not be problem, but DO NOT get baited with one squadron so he can move all his torps and bombers toward your teammates, so stick close to them fighters.

3-1-1 -> not hard to deal with, wait for 3 squadrons to be at same place and strafe them.

Strafing is most important ability, you should always do it when you approach to any kind of planes.

Manual drop for torps, must know imho.
Manual drops for dive bombers, if you know it is good but if circle is too small for you, better to hit anything than nothing, so dont gamble and drop auto attack.

Just my opinion,
Cheers,
Boris

shot-17.07.10_11.26.05-0227.jpg

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,194 posts
11,916 battles

Not going for the top ranks I'd nonetheless say that DD's are a good start because then you wil have at least one decent DD on your side...

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,650 battles

Always work as a team and never argue, if your team wants to rush the enemy cap and you're outnumbered then you better fall in line.

Other stuff ppl have covered mostly and yeah DDs are the Kings of Ranked still. Every other ship class is inferior in the Ranked meta unless you're a boring AS CV player.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,536 battles

- When do you play? Started a new job so very little time during weekdays, a few games, weekends more and I have planned vacation later in the season.

- How many games? A few losses in a row then I quit, and play randoms (if on a longer sessions). As I recently got my 2nd 19 p captain in New Mexico I play Arizona so I farm eliteXP, this fact will make me try ranked a little longer than usual i suppose, previous saesons I have played only a handful of games for the rewards, now I can improve a few captains , by the eliteXP.

- How many type ships, one ore more? So far I play Arizona, and have tried a few games in Fubuki/Shinonome. I am only at R12 so will see how it changes later if I advance further.

- When do you make a breaktime? After a few hours in the weekends, in workdays I onluy play 2-4 games.

- Which period of season is better, what do y : Well i do not believe in Miessa3s theory. I believe more of a post in another thread (may have been here or on the US forum) that ranked is a grinds where your chances are higher to go up with your relative skill level. So if the average skill level goes down, your chances will go up, it is the law of averages. Your impact in the team will go up if the playerbase goes down, The rant about potatoes etc is simply not valid - it is just statistic law. It might lead to higher frustration but with lesser skilled players your chances are higher that you are nr 1 when you are losing and that is what you advances from in the long run. This is more important the lesser skilled you are. If you are a 55% player and plays with 60% players in the beginning of the season at higher ranks, your team will likely lose, and you are not likely to be nr 1 in the losing team. If you are a 55% player and late in the season plays with 52 % players, your team has a slight advantage which in the end lets you advance. 

I plan my play after that so regardless how much effort or how low I strive I will end if I think my advancements stalls. I play for fun not grinding so I rather play randoms if it is a endless back and forth 1 rank up or down. It is too little variety in ranked as I play with same ships. If I reach R10 or 7 or whatever we will see. R1 is not a goal in any case.  

[1ST]
[1ST]
Beta Tester
55 posts
4,226 battles

- When do you play? Usually 20-22 CEST but I usually take warm up session first playing 1-2 games in random

- How many games? 3-5

- How many type ships, one ore more? Faragut (Once I passed rank 10, I found that focusing on 1 ship and playstyle improved my gameplay alot)

- When do you make a breaktime? I try to take breaks after a few games, stretch my legs and so on

- Which period of season is better, what do you prefer? First season Im trying to reach rank 1, so no idea. Currently at rank 5, the opposition between rank 6 and 5 are currently brutal.

Suggest a strategy at the start but always follow your teams conclussion and always focus on supporting your team instead of going solo.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,068 posts
17,316 battles

Lately I m on a losing streak, I cant win whatever I do. So I must have a losing tactic.

Beta Tester
808 posts
7,984 battles

My tactic in rank is sniping and maintain 100k damage per game so I don't lose my star. Lately I haven't been playing ranked though.

[UNICS]
Players
149 posts
13,614 battles

- When do you play? When ever I can - main thing I do if at home

- How many games? 195 game to Rank 1 this time

- How many type ships, one ore more? Played a few different, settled on Anshan

- When do you make a breaktime? Lose 2 in a row, break, get out of that group of players. When I see a bad player wait next game to not get matched with them

- Which period of season is better, what do you prefer? Early on, more chance of teaming up with like minded people.

First few days of ranked was bad, lost after lost, low 30% on wr but it is always the same, far to gun-ho for ranked after random games and it take a few days to slow my play style down. During this time I played everything class bar CV settling on Anshan.

Enjoyed cruisers but at the mercy of your team for effectiveness. Again with battleships, if your team doesn't support you can do damage but it a losing battle. I found with destroyers, you could at least react and support who ever was putting up a fight at least.

Ended up sticking with the Anshan, took me from 8 to 1. If the team had 3 or more DD's I played the off cap while the team when for the main cap for that map. On the off cap the objective was to delay long enough to allow us a points lead, often getting lucky with torps on dd's heading into that cap. Either I was chased by at least 1 ship, often 2-3 which allowed my team enough time to deal with the others a bit. If I wasn't chased I had spotting on them for my team and the best was when both teams went to the same cap, I got a cap uncontested and lead for us then worked back around. 

I did at times feel I wasn't doing much for the team, rank 3 I felt I was carried through that rank, always bottom of the team in exp as the game doesn't reward for what I was doing. Two session I managed 90% wr, played 10, won 9 of them. Lots of first blood and high caliber.

Worst part is people throwing away a lead or not understanding when to push an advantage. I admit I got salty at time in chat with people playing safe and trying to save a star. Team is losing and people are still sitting back hiding or your winning and people decide to yolo forward and lose. People unable to face up to the fact that they played bad.

Have to admit I am glad I have ranked out. Been watching Flamu stream and his luck with team mates is just bad. Did play against him once, our team was down and out until one of his team mates decided to team torp him, wasn't watching his stream so don't know if it was intensional or not but we ended up winning, either way being hit with friendly torps in the position he was in shouldn't be happening in the higher ranks.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
Players
1,990 posts
25,644 battles
13 hours ago, Ragweek said:

However it seems hard to get a game at certain times of the day

My advice, A bottle of Jack Daniels, unbreakable Keyboard, Noise resistant room, Anti Depressants.

[HHRHA]
[HHRHA]
Players
145 posts
9,718 battles

I played 184 battles till now, started from Rank 16, reached R10 in 3 days and I got stuck there. I can do anything, I'm only lifting between R9-R11, mainly in R10 0-4 stars. So I accept this situation and stopped hardcore playing in this season. At the end times I will go to holiday so I won't have enough time to finish. So if I play ranked now, only for fun.

Players
534 posts
6,411 battles

I only just started really as ive been on holiday, started at rank 15 and am now at 11 or 10 I think. I'm playing my pet hate ship Fubuki with some Warspite thrown in for good measure. Damage is lower than id like on Fub but WR looks respectable so far at 62% http://www.wowstats.org/stats/eu/dragnorak/  Early days yet though and as I said I HATED the old Fub so this is the first time I'm playing the new one in anger.

I play evenings only and I normally quit when I have a loss. If I start out with a loss I keep playing till I have a win and then see how I feel. It vary s. I don't keep playing if I'm losing that's for sure because I can normally trace that back to me not carrying well enough and so I quit to re focus.

Players
1,011 posts
10,311 battles

I have 89 battles, starting from rank 12 I am now rank5 with 3 stars.

My main advice is do what your ship made for.

BB.......take and deal dmg. Don't be a coward and hide with your BB, youre there to be seen. (doesnt mean yolo and get killed)

Cruiser......DON'T be seen. As a cruiser you are the to deal dmg not to take it.

DD......spot and smoke friendlies, believe it or not you are NOT there to torp the enemy into defeat.

As simple as this sounds it seems hard for many.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,728 battles

I've only played 4 games so far and won 3.  Not sure that qualifies me to say too much, but I will say don't play when you are tired/grumpy.  I sometimes play in the mornings before work and then early evening but I refuse to play after 9pm as I start losing more and getting pissed off about it.  Also, if you get on a bad run just sack it off, come back tomorrow - fighting to reverse it will likely just push you further into a spiral.

Don't change ships too much - you need to get into your stride and swapping too much doesn't help with that.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,611 posts
5,167 battles

ok, 108 battles, started at 23rd (ground zero), now 8th.

1) Drop those ships you cannot make work

2) as a DD, stay alive but 'present' - initial cap capture or scout the others, do not get taken off the "board". Spotting.

3) CL - creep around and splatter targets while minimising return fire options using smoke and terrain

4) Stay alive but present and active - if the enemy are trying to shoot you but cannot for whatever reason then they are not shooting at your team mates who are hopefully shooting the red ships who are ignoring them at the same time.

Although I think that NO4 sums it up for me and no, I do not mean border camping.

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
20 hours ago, Mydgard said:

Hi!

- When do you play?

- How many games?

- Etc. etc.

how to get to rank 1:

1. wait for higher ranks to get worse players. (there should be a lot of bad players on higher ranks now, maybe even in premier league). had one season where premier league was full of unicum players. it was more or less 50% WR then (think this was before top xp player not losing star) until some players got to rank 1. it was very frustrating grind. next season i needed only 115 battles to rank 1 cause i waited for worse players to populate premier rank and better ones to get rank 1 (could have done it under 100 if not for bad luck :Smile_child:).

2. choose one ship you are best at. if you are good with CV they have largest impact in carrying the game. otherwise dd have largest impact on win if you know how to play them. rumors are that BB can easily farm top xp in losing team (but that obviously depends on player)

3. i took shinonome (with farragut in reserve if i need it) and play games without CV (if i see 2 cv in queue i abort if i can).

4. playing shinonome as scout/torp boat and smoking rarely (cause i am usually way up front of my team). sometimes i forget i am torp boat and play it as gunboat vs other dd.