German DD's  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Start grinding from:

• V. T-22
    • VI. Ernst Gaede
    • VII. Leberecht Maass
    • VIII. Z-23
    • IX. Z-46
  2. 2. ..... is great fun to play, don't miss grinding.

• II. V-25
    • III. G-101
    • IV. V-170
    • V. T-22
    • VI. Ernst Gaede
    • VII. Leberecht Maass
    • VIII. Z-23
    • None of the above

97 comments in this topic

Players
385 posts
8,685 battles

I have enough FreeXP to skip up to T9.

Which of the ships are worth playing?

Thank you.

[NED]
Players
4,209 posts
11,709 battles

I've started with V25. And actually liked it. I didn't feel like going on because of the ridiculous gunbloom. I know that's gone now but somehow didn't touch it yet.

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,507 battles

The only ships worth skipping are the T-22 and and the Z-23.

All other ships in the line are fine and fun to play but you definately need to have at least a 10 point captain with CE.

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
17,534 battles

I skipped up to Ernst Gaede, As stock it's not very good, but once upgraded it's surprisingly effective, althuogh somewhat situational.
The Leberecht Maass issomewhat similar story, Not too good as stock, but it was definitely a ship that I wont sell

Weekend Tester
848 posts
4,560 battles

Why skip the best part about the tree(2-4)? T-22 maybe a skip for some i understand that, but at least start from the Tier 6.

[BONI]
Players
1,064 posts
9,346 battles

I would say skip to t6, especially if you don't have a 10-point captain with CE. The first few can work, but are awkward as hell without CE. Actually so is EG and LM but at least those can sort of work as gunboats, unlike all the previous peashooters.

V-170 is fun to play if you like torps, but it has the issue of being in a tier with a lot of CVs and small maps, while having terrible guns, no AA, and one of the worst smokes in the game. It's like all the weaknesses of US DDs without the things that make up for it. You can stealth torp, that's their flavor, but that doesn't work when you're being permaspotted by planes. That's an issue in higher tiers too, along with slowish maneuvering, but at least those have decent guns. The bad smoke and lack of AA is why I dropped this line, you're too vulnerable to aircraft, and not just bombers but anything that keeps you and your torps spotted.

[HEROZ]
Players
45 posts
5,975 battles

I've done all 3 DD lines up to t10, and I think the Germans are surprisingly good. I was expecting them to be a bit meh, but not the case. The hydro consumable is very affective, and you can bully other DDs out of cap, or just outright kill them. Fast torp reload is also nice.

I skipped up to the t-22 (80%wr), gaede, and mass both strong (65% wr) and nearly unlocked the t8 and looking forward it.

• Cool 1

Players
385 posts
8,685 battles

Thanks all for your opinions. The line looked a little dull so I wanted to skip but now I decided to go for the full line. 

Players
321 posts
2,554 battles

I think the Tier II and III are amazing - the Tier IV is just a bigger version and a worse ship compared to the Tier III which is awkward. The Tier II I actually kept because it's hilarious.

I'm almost at the Tier V - yes, I'm late to the party, but I have to play through it without a sufficient amount of free XP anyway.

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

the v-25 is awesome. Really. A total keeper. 

the tier 3 and 4 versions of this ship are basically the same only with altered stats.

Tier 5 is horrible. Really. skip this piece of trash. Its a burden for the team and lies like a millstone on your soul.

the ernst gaede is nice - especially with its 150mm guns. Cruisers can be obliterated with this AP. Go straight for the citadel and farm damage. The b-hull comes with hydro. Very useful but highly situational. A level 10 commander is mandatory. Without it, you can't really stealth torp. 

smoke is crap though. It really could use a duration buff but that's a characteristic all german DDs share.

however. This ship is either total s*** in a game or godlike. There os nothing in between. Engage gunboats only with support and don't get spotted by Japanese DDs. Planes are a pain if the enemy CV player is worth his/her salt.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles

My query is that WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT TO SKIP A SHIP?

I can understand you dont like the ship but, have you played it yet? Is it final that you dont lke it?

To be frank any line in the game is good. It all depends on you and your playstyle.

• Cool 2

[NKK]
Beta Tester
615 posts
6,299 battles
2 hours ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

I can understand you dont like the ship but, have you played it yet? Is it final that you dont lke it?

To be frank any line in the game is good. It all depends on you and your playstyle.

Agreed, I haven't skipped a single ship. I just learned and adapted to every ship as best as I could.

[DREAD]
Players
5,155 posts
5,081 battles

Why skip? The torpedoboats are awesome. T3 doesn't make much sense historically and a S113/TB1916 would have been great but the forward firing Torpedoes are great fun. T5 sucks though.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
2 hours ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

i guess you have not played the t-22.

it's not even good in pve - AND i have played the karlsruhe before she was buffed.

No I have not but still. She cant be that bad......... can it?

Besides its PVE where DDs arent suitable much

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

Come back if you have played with her.

she is that bad.

but actually, its not really fin to play DDs in general. German BBs have hydro and dodge your torpedoes. Radar was given out like candy as well and support is something totally unknown. Team mates usually flee if there is more than two ships on that flank

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,956 battles

you shouldnt skip the Z-23

its a unique ship that has Cruiser guns on a DD

they can land some devastating salvos on cruiser sides and the HE rips DDs apart

the Concealment isnt too bad which allows you to sneak up and smash DDs for 4-6k HE slavos 

the Torps are very good even if they have a low dmg output they are very stealthy

• Cool 1

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

the ernst gaede is quite ok but you depend on your team. Your CV needs to help you, or you get destroyed. Same with ijn DDs. They can really kill your fun just by being close to you.

the 150mm guns are really fun to use and make it clear, that this ship is a hydrid.

the maas might be a torpedo boat again. Or you need a second commander with different skills. 

the z23 looks like a grown up gaede.

it would have bern cool and quite unique to give all high tier DDs the high caliber guns. 

Players
1,058 posts
7,676 battles
3 hours ago, aidenthedestroyer said:

No I have not but still. She cant be that bad......... can it?

Besides its PVE where DDs arent suitable much

T22 has

-2x3 torps with 7.5 km range with 1 min reload. 62 knots, 1.3 km torpedo concealment, 13k damage.

-6.1 km concealment with CE

-All guns rotate 360 degrees, which removes preferred broadside. The firing angles are better towards the aft of the ship. The guns need a fairly long lead, so I suggest max - 1 zoom instead of max zoom. HE shell alpha damage is puny 1200, but you can manage if you hit more than they do and avoid their shells. Turret traverse is medium, being better than Japanese but worse than US.

I don't find T-22 a horrible ship, although it does seem that people struggle with her. Give it a try at least. I do agree with that others have said with German DDs needing CE. Not having it makes things hard. I agree with your statement about DDs and PvE.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
15 hours ago, Agantas said:

T22 has

-2x3 torps with 7.5 km range with 1 min reload. 62 knots, 1.3 km torpedo concealment, 13k damage.

-6.1 km concealment with CE

-All guns rotate 360 degrees, which removes preferred broadside. The firing angles are better towards the aft of the ship. The guns need a fairly long lead, so I suggest max - 1 zoom instead of max zoom. HE shell alpha damage is puny 1200, but you can manage if you hit more than they do and avoid their shells. Turret traverse is medium, being better than Japanese but worse than US.

I don't find T-22 a horrible ship, although it does seem that people struggle with her. Give it a try at least. I do agree with that others have said with German DDs needing CE. Not having it makes things hard. I agree with your statement about DDs and PvE.

All that you mentioned here doesnt seem bad whatsoever. I mean its not great like the nicholas but its not bad either. 7.5 torp range with guns that turn 360 is not bad in my opinion. The HE is not a problem as German HE is crap anyways.

I dont know why players find it tough to play this ship its not bad at all.

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
72 posts
8,507 battles

The T-22 has 105mm guns which results in horrible penetration values for T5 which means that you even struggle to penetrate cruisers.

And what people always forget:: this is a T5 ship. When you grind that line regularly you do not have CE on your captain at that tier.

Try playing it without that skill and tell me how effective you are with your tiny stealthtorp window and terrible guns.

Players
385 posts
8,685 battles
On 07/16/2017 at 5:09 PM, aidenthedestroyer said:

There are some reasons for one to want to skip a ship or two. In my case:

-I prefer playing high tiers

-I have limited time and wouldnt like to lose time grinding a boring ship. (ie. La Glassoniere was horrible)

I was thinking of skipping the german bb line and asked a friend about his opinion. Then decided to play and totally loved the whole line. Thats why I am asking  to the comunity for their opinions so that I dont miss a fun ship.

Players
757 posts
3,227 battles
On 7/18/2017 at 8:34 PM, xenopathia said:

-I have limited time and wouldnt like to lose time grinding a boring ship. (ie. La Glassoniere was horrible)

I was thinking of skipping the german bb line and asked a friend about his opinion. Then decided to play and totally loved the whole line. Thats why I am asking  to the comunity for their opinions so that I dont miss a fun ship.

It seems kind of lazy what you are doing. I mean asking others to tell you whether a ship is good or not isnt really good. Its also not reliable because for example you might ask. Is the Yamato good. One guy will end up saying no its not it sucks. Whether you like a ship or not shouldnt be based on others judgement because everyone has different playstyles and like different ship types. My opinion to what you should do is just try the ship yourself preferably in 3-4 battles, then judge whether you like it or not. I have no problem with people trying to skip ships but just try the ship first and if you hate it, you hate it.

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles
On 18/07/2017 at 5:34 PM, xenopathia said:

You prefer playing higher tiers, fair enough, but that doesn't inherently mean you need to skip the low tiers. Doesn't take long to get through them. Surely you would prefer playing upgraded ships? Better to save free XP for stock grinds.

You have limited time? Unless you're terminally ill this isn't really a valid reason, just have some patience rather than feeling you need to be playing tier 8+ right now.

You were about to skip an entire line, decided against it and had a lot of fun. Now you're considering skipping an entire line again?

I just don't understand it when people save up or even spend money to convert huge amounts of free XP for the sole purpose of skipping entire lines and - not - playing the game that they play.

Beta Tester
516 posts
4,160 battles

The T-22 was the first ship in a long time that I didn't grind all the way through (after free-xp'ing the modules)... I just couldn't take it anymore! What an utter turd of a ship. Slow, accelerates like a tractor, anemic firepower, mediocre torps. UGH, never again!