Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DB2212

Has WG changed terrain clearance?

6 comments in this topic

Players
542 posts
5,482 battles

Hi all,

Over the last few days I have found that lobbing rounds over terrain has changed.

It used to be you saw a target and let rip. Rounds went over terrain even if you couldn't see the target, or the target became unspotted.

Now, I find that as soon as the target is unspotted, or disappears from view, the rounds in the air don't follow the same trajectory as the previous rounds and sail right into the terrain at a stupidly lower level.

Is it just me or did WG change something?

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,563 battles

Was like this for quite some time.

Shooting targets with line-of-sight obstructions is only possible with a target lock. You can still lob shells over islands at an unspotted/untargeted ship as long as your guns are still trained for the distance, but as soon as you move your aim and just a pixel is between your former aim point, the game will autoadjust the aim to there and hit the island instead, after which point it's impossible to try and shoot beyond the island unless you have an unobstructed line-of-sight again.

Especially frustrating if you have a target locked, but just an instant before you shoot, it gets unspotted, you lose target lock and the aim you had following the target is now looking directly at the bloody island instead and the game donks all shells into the mountain ...

Only work around is the spotter plane top-down view.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,415 posts
5,101 battles
7 hours ago, Aotearas said:

I think the OP points on something different.

Usually it should be that way:

Target spottet: shells hit target, not the terrain in front of it.

target becomes unspottet: shells already fired will continue to hit the target, shells fired after target is hidden will hit the terrain.

I have not experienced something like that, please provide replays. If it really happens, it is a bug that is not intented to happen imho, and should be reportet to admins.

Players
542 posts
5,482 battles
19 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Shooting targets with line-of-sight obstructions is only possible with a target lock. You can still lob shells over islands at an unspotted/untargeted ship as long as your guns are still trained for the distance, but as soon as you move your aim and just a pixel is between your former aim point, the game will autoadjust the aim to there and hit the island instead, after which point it's impossible to try and shoot beyond the island unless you have an unobstructed line-of-sight again.

Especially frustrating if you have a target locked, but just an instant before you shoot, it gets unspotted, you lose target lock and the aim you had following the target is now looking directly at the bloody island instead and the game donks all shells into the mountain ...

Only work around is the spotter plane top-down view.

I've never used target lock so I don't think it's that.

It's annoying whatever it is.

Players
542 posts
5,482 battles
12 hours ago, ParEx said:

I think the OP points on something different.

Usually it should be that way:

Target spottet: shells hit target, not the terrain in front of it.

target becomes unspottet: shells already fired will continue to hit the target, shells fired after target is hidden will hit the terrain.

I have not experienced something like that, please provide replays. If it really happens, it is a bug that is not intented to happen imho, and should be reportet to admins.

I'll have a look and see if I can find a replay that shows what I mean.

No idea where to upload replays though.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,307 posts
9,563 battles
11 minutes ago, DB2212 said:

I've never used target lock so I don't think it's that.

It's annoying whatever it is.

Target lock is when your aim reticule automatically locks onto a spotted target (and compensates for relative movement). Everytime you shoot at a spotted target you use that automatically (unless you manually remove the target lock).

Sign in to follow this