Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

new and more light cruisers, please.

59 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
1,534 posts
6,233 battles

BB's, I tried them, what a drag to drive them, but they are fun to sink.

Pensacola, it's useless, slow turning and shooting crap, give me back the 155 mm calibre guns please.

- More light cruisers, a separate tech tree of light cruisers up to tier X.

I'm a big fan of Phoenix, Omaha, and my fav it's Emile. And I would like to continue in those lines, if there were such a line.

They are my go to ships, if I want something done.

Cleveland it's nice too but the others I mentioned are outstanding, more, more, pls.

• Cool 2

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

no chance.

atm, cruisers are shell magnets and since BBs are becoming mire and more versatile, while being far more tankier, cruisers are slowly becoming obsolete.

its sad but the most played branche is BB and therefore, devs concentrate on them. 

royal navy is next, then Russia. 

cruisers are for hardcore fans only and harder to play as BBs as well.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles

I can't wait for the IJN Agano and Oyodo

The first one for its pretty ok 3x2 152mm on a 35 knot ship and 4x2 torpedo tubes, making it essentially a light Aoba with centerline and beefed up torpedo tubes.

And the second one because it's 2x3 155mm guns like on the Mogami, both turrets forward and super firing, complete with 4x2 100mm DPAA guns and 70x25mm guns in mostly triple mounts, essentially making it a small Mogami with an Akizuki parked on top of it. Alas, no torpedoes.
It would still pump out 175 AA dps at 3.1km, with an additional 83dps at 5km

• Cool 3

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles

I'm the opposite, I'd like the British 8inch heavy cruisers like the County class

• Cool 4

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
47 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

BB's, I tried them, what a drag to drive them, but they are fun to sink.

Pensacola, it's useless, slow turning and shooting crap, give me back the 155 mm calibre guns please.

- More light cruisers, a separate tech tree of light cruisers up to tier X.

I'm a big fan of Phoenix, Omaha, and my fav it's Emile. And I would like to continue in those lines, if there were such a line.

They are my go to ships, if I want something done.

Cleveland it's nice too but the others I mentioned are outstanding, more, more, pls.

Do you drive a different Pensacola than I did? I battled in the Pensacola back in the days when she had her high detectability and one thing she could definitvely do was to evade shots just because (at least it felt this way to me) she could turn on the spot. The guns aren't bad either. Survivability was always bad, though. In the meantime she got buffed so I don't see why she should be worse compared to before.

Also, why making two threads about the same topics within a short time?

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

The only light cruisers that may still make it to the game are the Italians. It could be a light cruiser line up to tier 7 with the Garibaldis (10x152mm, good armour).

All other major powers cruiser lines have already been created and I wouldn't expect many changes seeing that the US line, the best candidate for a full light cruiser line, keeps a heavily nerfed Cleveland still at tier 6.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,941 posts
22,485 battles
4 minutes ago, JapLance said:

The only light cruisers that may still make it to the game are the Italians. It could be a light cruiser line up to tier 7 with the Garibaldis (10x152mm, good armour).

All other major powers cruiser lines have already been created and I wouldn't expect many changes seeing that the US line, the best candidate for a full light cruiser line, keeps a heavily nerfed Cleveland still at tier 6.

But you have many Minor nations which have suitable ships which will make the cruisers increase quite a lot. Netherlands, Sweden, Spain some South American nations and these are original designs.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,994 posts
7,167 battles

19 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

I can't wait for the IJN Agano and Oyodo

Same, can't wait for those IJN beauties. Would get them into my collection just for the looks itself ^^. Also, where is Tone?

Dem lines drool :Smile-_tongue:

Spoiler

htWUQEx.jpg

Spoiler

eBwcATG.jpg

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles
2 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

But you have many Minor nations which have suitable ships which will make the cruisers increase quite a lot. Netherlands, Sweden, Spain some South American nations and these are original designs.

Most of those have close to nothing for high tiers. I can see WG releasing some premiums, but little else.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,941 posts
22,485 battles
1 minute ago, JapLance said:

Most of those have close to nothing for high tiers. I can see WG releasing some premiums, but little else.

Naturally but it will be an increase of light /heavy cruisers in general. Sweden f.e. had plans for 8-21 cm cruisers +  the Ansaldo design with 6-28cm to counter Graf Spee/Hipper and the last one could be made high tier material. At least up to t8.

To stem the rising numbers of BBs the release of cruisers for minor nations (better a Pan-Europen tree) is a easy remedy. Dutch players will play De Ruyter and Eendracht and Swedes will play Göta Lejon + the design studies a lot, for sheer patriotism , I will do it a lot, if they reach a decent level.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,387 posts
6,100 battles
10 minutes ago, JapLance said:

Never say never :) For one we can hardly move Cleveland anywhere without replacement - just think how ugly the hole in the IJN tree was without the Furutaka. 

Though speaking of the US light cruisers, they were so kinda in the name only - their tonnage put many a heavy cruiser to shame and their 6" guns were more a way to get around the treaties without breaking them. 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
10 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Though speaking of the US light cruisers, they were so kinda in the name only - their tonnage put many a heavy cruiser to shame and their 6" guns were more a way to get around the treaties without breaking them. 

IE: The Mogami cheese tactic.

" Yes esteemed members of the treaty commission, this cruiser named Mogami is indeed a light cruiser, and totally displaces less than 10000 tons. We can pinky swear on it. By the way, how's the weather in Hawaii in December? Notably around harbors "

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles
13 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

IE: The Mogami cheese tactic.

" Yes esteemed members of the treaty commission, this cruiser named Mogami is indeed a light cruiser, and totally displaces less than 10000 tons. We can pinky swear on it. By the way, how's the weather in Hawaii in December? Notably around harbors "

Same principle with the Town class was a pocket heavy cruiser.

[NWP]
Players
729 posts
6,281 battles
1 hour ago, Tungstonid said:

Do you drive a different Pensacola than I did? I battled in the Pensacola back in the days when she had her high detectability and one thing she could definitvely do was to evade shots just because (at least it felt this way to me) she could turn on the spot. The guns aren't bad either. Survivability was always bad, though. In the meantime she got buffed so I don't see why she should be worse compared to before.

Also, why making two threads about the same topics within a short time?

I was dreading Pensacola after all the salt about her, but I like her way better than the Cleveland. If all you want to do is drive broadside at max range, or hide behind islands you will hate this ship.

Play her constantly in motion, slowing down (dumps speed like a champ when you hit the brakes) and speeding up, fast turning all the time, and aggressive. She might only last 5-8 minutes per battle, but what a great time you'll have!

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

What? More USN light cruisers? I understand the appeal of fast reloading guns and such, but USN ones? Why do you want more light cruisers shooting like mortars that even a heavy cruiser can manage to dodge all the time? Any other nation would provide better light cruisers.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
13 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

What? More USN light cruisers? I understand the appeal of fast reloading guns and such, but USN ones? Why do you want more light cruisers shooting like mortars that even a heavy cruiser can manage to dodge all the time? Any other nation would provide better light cruisers.

Because you would end up with awesome things like Brooklyn. Basically Cleveland +25% firepower, probably other soft stat buffs too as she would be a higher tier. It would be an awesome brawling cruiser. And at T10 you have potentially Worcester which is basically "Des Moines and Minotaur had a baby". It would be great, I would play the line for sure.

In that sense the OP has a good point.

However the complaints about Pensacola are just pure troll. Been a while since I've seen one this bad, especially as the two things he singles out as "useless" (agility and guns) are the two things that even most people who hate the ship still concede as being her strongest points.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Yes, I know USN has very good light cruiser to offer. On paper. Because what we would have in game with those is more Cleveland and Atlanta shell arcs, which I know it's just my opinion, but I utterly hate. I can't look forward to that, I wouldn't be interested in the slightest by that.

People loves Cleveland and hates Pensacola, I'm still at Pensacola but I don't understand why people considere it a downgrade from Cleveland. I'll concede the AA, but Pensacola aside from that it's a very good improvement from Cleveland, the reload it's worse, but the fact that you can hit things it's a huge improvement. And yes, Pensacola is paper, but it's very maneurable, it's concealment has been buffed which quite helped the ship and if you complain about a cruiser being paper instead of maneuvering and dodging shells the problem it's not the cruiser, it's you not understanding how to play cruisers.

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
2 minutes ago, SHDRKN4792 said:

People loves Cleveland and hates Pensacola, I'm still at Pensacola but I don't understand why people considere it a downgrade from Cleveland. [...] if you complain about a cruiser being paper instead of maneuvering and dodging shells the problem it's not the cruiser, it's you not understanding how to play cruisers.

It's not like that... It's not that Pensacola is better or worse than Cleveland. People who loved the Cleve's gameplay find Pensa weird and have a hard time adapting to it because the gameplay is very different, and for a reason : it's not even the same type of ship. On the other hand, you who hated the Cleveland's gameplay hate basically US CLs gameplay, which means you weren't biased with 6 tiers of ships you loved before reaching something drastically different, you were biased by 6 tiers of ship you disliked and suddenly here came something different that you then could enjoy.
At least that's how I see it...

It's not even something unique Japanese cruisers have the exact same problem but at TV : many people used to complain about Furutaka because it came drastically different from Kuma, while it's a very fine ship, although it IS indeed completely different from those before.

Some other lines British and Russian ships don't have that problem because the gameplay is more constant through the line.

But in the end, Cleve -> Pensa and Kuma -> Furutaka has always been two very controversial passages with many complains, and none of the four ships are worse or better than their predecessor : the complaints came from having to adapt with something completely different.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,357 battles

Id rather see some CA (heavy cruisers),

a mix between CL and BB, that would drag meta away from BBs.

[UNICS]
Players
2,879 posts
12,074 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

Id rather see some heavy cruisers, a mix between CL and BB, that would drag meta away from BBs.

Aren't RN bbs taking that spot?

[SCRUB]
Players
2,726 posts
7,357 battles

Idk about that, im not on the track... besides i aint beliving until i see them. I ment ships like USS Albany CA-123...that would make a nice T8 premium.

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
39 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

It's not like that... It's not that Pensacola is better or worse than Cleveland. People who loved the Cleve's gameplay find Pensa weird and have a hard time adapting to it because the gameplay is very different, and for a reason : it's not even the same type of ship. On the other hand, you who hated the Cleveland's gameplay hate basically US CLs gameplay, which means you weren't biased with 6 tiers of ships you loved before reaching something drastically different, you were biased by 6 tiers of ship you disliked and suddenly here came something different that you then could enjoy.
At least that's how I see it...

It's not even something unique Japanese cruisers have the exact same problem but at TV : many people used to complain about Furutaka because it came drastically different from Kuma, while it's a very fine ship, although it IS indeed completely different from those before.

Some other lines British and Russian ships don't have that problem because the gameplay is more constant through the line.

But in the end, Cleve -> Pensa and Kuma -> Furutaka has always been two very controversial passages with many complains, and none of the four ships are worse or better than their predecessor : the complaints came from having to adapt with something completely different.

Very good point I tend to forget. That the real complain it's the change of playstyle between light and heavy cruisers. And you kinda guessed it too. Before I even started with USN cruisers I played IJN ones, even then I didn't really haven't that much problem adapting to Furutaka, even when back then she only had the single mounted guns available, obviously I had a long time to adapt to the terrible turret traverse those had, but it's wasn't that awful for me. I reached Mogami and stoped there, because is why I started playing this game at first and by when I reached there I was very used to the heavy cruiser playstyle and I really enjoyed the 155 mm Mogami as a "light cruiser".

And that's when I started the USN cruisers, without much problems, I even bought the Murmansk because I like the Omaha, but the problem with me somehow it's the Cleveland, I hate Cleveland with a passion. And I like the ship at the same time, because I know it's AA is awesome (or insane depending who you ask), I like how it's very tanky for a light cruiser and yeah, as pointed out earlier, losses a bit of maneurability compared to Omaha but used to heavy cruisers already that didn't bother me. What kills Cleveland for me it's the shell arcs, back then I started USN cruisers because I still heard how good it's was in beta before they nerfed the shell arcs but didn't notice that the nerf was applied before I reached Cleveland, so I was expecting a "tier 6 155 mm Mogami" but well... Mogami with the 155 mm and Cleveland act both as light cruisers but they're two whole different worlds.

When I got through Cleveland though I got to Pensacola which returned me to the usual heavy cruiser style and that's why I like Pensacola way more than Cleveland.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I also *clicked* with Furutaka and Pensacola as I went up those lines and enjoyed Pensacola much more than Cleveland first time. But I've since gone back and found Cleveland very fun and strong as well. That may be though because I like getting close, where the arcs don't matter. But RN cruisers have more or less the same arcs all the way up to T10 and that works fine. I think a combination of stealth and agility would make a ship like that work, albeit in a binary "spotted early you're useless but close you're OP" kind of way.

As for more CAs instead, sure the County class would be really cool, but I think in the current game meta CL IFHE DPM + firespam is actually more effective against BBs. CAs usually lean towards hunting other cruisers as their main task, which BBs already do well enough, so from an overall class balance point of view they might not produce the expected results.

Sign in to follow this