Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Tayto

Atago or Atlanta? Serious question

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[NWP]
Players
740 posts
6,311 battles

So I've just 'rebought' Belfast to take advantage of the doubloon refund, premium and flag package, and I've ended up with enough doubloons to buy either Atago or Atlanta - not both.

Which should I go for? I've watched videos of Atlanta and it looks fun, with the guns, but Atago seems to be well liked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Atago. Has good concealment, good guns, excelent fire chance, with CE and the stealth mod you can even try to stealth torp, fast, has heal at T8... The only thing that matters that Atago lacks compared to Atlanta is AA, but that's all. Some people may argue that DPS, but IMO with the mortars Atlanta has you mostly waste that DPS anyways against anyone slightly competent, so I'd still go for Atago. Atago is such a great ship.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
190 posts
8,106 battles

Wait until the Atago is on sale and get her instead of the Atlanta. Atlanta is can be fun to play but overall she is a very situational and not really strong ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DSW]
Players
3,793 posts
7,737 battles

for effectiveness, no offense but that is not a serious question. Atlanta on its own is one of the weakest ships in the game for pure performance, unless one really knows what they're doing, while Atago is one of the strongest. And yes, that is taking into account the vastly different quality of matchmaking the two get.

But, the Atlanta is just such an insanely fun ship if you can handle her right! It's not really a ship that you would take when you want to consistently do a lot of damage, or get a lot of kills, or earn the maximum amount of cash. But when you just feel like having some fun and dont care much about the result, the Atlanta is amazing - especially if you can convince a friend to take a DD in a div with you and turn you into what I like to call a Ghetto Flint. Not that the Atago isnt a very fun ship as well - but at least for me personally it's not even in the Atlanta's league.

 

I've taken the liberty of taking a look at your stats - for an average to good player such as yourself my recommendation would have to be the Atago, simply because Atlanta is pretty hard to get decent performance out of (as the average stats on it will tell you...), and you'll get limited amounts of fun out of a ship that you may well struggle with. Atago's a much safer option, and makes more money to boot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
740 posts
6,311 battles

Thanks for the replies, guys.

 

@Tyrendian89 I used to main CAs until fairly recently, then switched to BBs (well, battlecruiser types such as Hood, Scharn and Gneis etc.) because thanks to the meta I could do the CA's job better with a BC. Getting Furutaka and Pensacola recently has given me a new-found appreciation of 'vanilla' CAs again, so I think I am going to go with Atago.

 

In fact, could you say that large CAs like Atago play like BCs (apart from the armour)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,583 battles

As the  sale cover t6-8 ships I would not be surprised if they came as one of the daily offers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DSW]
Players
3,793 posts
7,737 battles
7 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

 

@Tyrendian89 I used to main CAs until fairly recently, then switched to BBs (well, battlecruiser types such as Hood, Scharn and Gneis etc.) because thanks to the meta I could do the CA's job better with a BC. Getting Furutaka and Pensacola recently has given me a new-found appreciation of 'vanilla' CAs again, so I think I am going to go with Atago.

 

In fact, could you say that large CAs like Atago play like BCs (apart from the armour)?

 

yeah Atlanta certainly doesnt play like your typical cruiser... it just evaporates when someone looks at you funny... Atago on the other hand, with its heal at T8, is about as tanky as cruisers at that tier come. Still explodes when you show broadside, but... yeah, just dont do that and you've got a decent ship^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
701 posts
19,952 battles
45 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

So I've just 'rebought' Belfast to take advantage of the doubloon refund, premium and flag package, and I've ended up with enough doubloons to buy either Atago or Atlanta - not both.

Which should I go for? I've watched videos of Atlanta and it looks fun, with the guns, but Atago seems to be well liked too.

I for sure can answer yr question: Go for the Atlanta, no doubt about that!

 

Both are my top-choices as ships: played thousands of games with them. Advice: play them both with 19-points skill captains + go for stealth settings + Engine-boost (not Rudder-shift) for upgrades. Engine-boost is what gives the ships their power of accelerating yr speed & avoiding incoming fire. Hiding behind isles is far easier when one has engine boost.

 

Again, as said: Both Atago + Atlanta allways have been my top favourite ships. But go for ATLANTA! Why? Because with Atago things have changed lately: CV's are simply deadly for the Atago (CV captains allways go after yr Atrago when its spotted). Atago is a tier VIII, so you will meet the high tier CV's (tier VIII+IX+X) and yr Atago for sure most of the times will be totally wrecked or sunk by the CV's nowadays. No fun to play the Atago anymore: its far too vulnerable to those high tier Carriers. You will have no chance whatsoever when a CV decides to take you out: torps are manually dropped some 10 metres from yr Atago, giving you say 2 secs react-time at the most LOL.

 

Anyway: my last hundreds of battles i made very great credits with Atago + average damage of some 60K per battle easily but nowadays it would be a very bad choice for one to play the Atago. So, I stopped playing my former favourite ship Atago.

 

Far better nowadays: go for the Atlanta! Is tier VII with extreme AA-defense...so Carriers leave you alone or they risk loosing say some 20 planes to yr Atlanta. So with yr Atlanta (VII) you avoid the "bulge of tier IX +X ships " which you for sure would be matched with when you instead would play an Atago.

 

So my advice, no doubt: go for the Atlanta & aim to play it with a 19-points-captain (= concealments + inertia Fuse + extra gun range). Anyway: if you dont have 19 points yet: Atlanta even plays OK (if one knows how) with lower skills (fires-setting) with just 11kms range + DE (VERY important, fire settings) skills to begin with.

 

So, due to deadly high tier carriers: avoid Atago which is no longer playable at high tier matches anymore. Last 5 battles I played with my Atago I was totally wrecked or sunk by CV's time after time while I am a real expert in playing the Atago(!). So I stopped playing it. (in the past this was not the case, but things have changed with the very powerfull tier VIII/IX/X carriers). As things are at present; Atago is not a viable ship to play anymore (has no AA) and thus is certainly  not a creditmaker any longer lol.

 

So, go for the mid-tier Atlanta VII: ship is great to handle; ship looks great; ship makes very many credits. Do not forget to play it with upgrade: engine boost!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,473 posts

Atlanta is the better buy, but it will take some time getting used to, once you have mastered how to play it you will burn anything to a crisp. Atago is good but incredibly weak armour, you show broadside just once and its game over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,583 battles
10 minutes ago, Yaskaraxx said:

I for sure can answer yr question: Go for the Atlanta, no doubt about that!

 

Both are my top-choices as ships: played thousands of games with them. Advice: play them both with 19-points skill captains + go for stealth settings + Engine-boost (not Rudder-shift) for upgrades. Engine-boost is what gives the ships their power of accelerating yr speed & avoiding incoming fire. Hiding behind isles is far easier when one has engine boost.

 

Again, as said: Both Atago + Atlanta allways have been my top favourite ships. But go for ATLANTA! Why? Because with Atago things have changed lately: CV's are simply deadly for the Atago (CV captains allways go after yr Atrago when its spotted). Atago is a tier VIII, so you will meet the high tier CV's (tier VIII+IX+X) and yr Atago for sure most of the times will be totally wrecked or sunk by the CV's nowadays. No fun to play the Atago anymore: its far too vulnerable to those high tier Carriers. You will have no chance whatsoever when a CV decides to take you out: torps are manually dropped some 10 metres from yr Atago, giving you say 2 secs react-time at the most LOL.

 

Anyway: my last hundreds of battles i made very great credits with Atago + average damage of some 60K per battle easily but nowadays it would be a very bad choice for one to play the Atago. So, I stopped playing my former favourite ship Atago.

 

Far better nowadays: go for the Atlanta! Is tier VII with extreme AA-defense...so Carriers leave you alone or they risk loosing say some 20 planes to yr Atlanta. So with yr Atlanta (VII) you avoid the "bulge of tier IX +X ships " which you for sure would be matched with when you instead would play an Atago.

 

So my advice, no doubt: go for the Atlanta & aim to play it with a 19-points-captain (= concealments + inertia Fuse + extra gun range). Anyway: if you dont have 19 points yet: Atlanta even plays OK (if one knows how) with lower skills (fires-setting) with just 11kms range + DE (VERY important, fire settings) skills to begin with.

 

So, due to deadly high tier carriers: avoid Atago which is no longer playable at high tier matches anymore. Last 5 battles I played with my Atago I was totally wrecked or sunk by CV's time after time while I am a real expert in playing the Atago(!). So I stopped playing it. (in the past this was not the case, but things have changed with the very powerfull tier VIII/IX/X carriers). As things are at present; Atago is not a viable ship to play anymore (has no AA) and thus is certainly  not a creditmaker any longer lol.

 

So, go for the mid-tier Atlanta VII: ship is great to handle; ship looks great; ship makes very many credits. Do not forget to play it with upgrade: engine boost!

 

But how is Atlanta to play with a mid level captain and do you have a different set up than other US Cruisers? I mean I do not use IFHE on T7-10. Do you use Cleveland/Omaha/Phoenix cpts then? No one of mine in T4-6 are above 10 pts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,497 battles
11 minutes ago, Kiagy said:

Atlanta is the better buy, but it will take some time getting used to, once you have mastered how to play it you will burn anything to a crisp. Atago is good but incredibly weak armour, you show broadside just once and its game over

Atago has more health, heal and better armor than Atlanta. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles

Atlanta has crazy AA, is an especially potent DD hunter with the radar IF (big IF) you know how to take advantage of islands and friendly (or enemy) smokes and has Tier 7 MM which is pretty ok these days.

Atago is a mini battleship with top-of-the-line torpedoes (for a cruiser that is), a very potent DD hunter also if u have the right support from the team and she makes lots of credits. However, more often than not you will end up in T10 battles.

Both are solid ships for their playstyle, have played the Atago much more (around 120 battles) as compared to the 35 odd battles in the Atlanta, though I have bad WR in the former. (48% I think , which I attribute to buying this ship too early, back then I was at was at tier 7 at the most with my tech tree ships)

It is a tough choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NED]
Players
4,201 posts
11,706 battles

I tempt to lean to the Atago side on this one OP. IMO it's more of an allrounder than Atlanta is. IMO both ships have remarkable similarities: agile, stealthy, weak armor (but quite capable of dodging). Main differences: Atlanta has a DD-ish and Atago some more BB-ish playstyle. Atl has radar Ata has torps which can be very used for offensive purposes. AFAIK the only cruiser ingame which can stealth torp (granted: fully stealth specced with a window of about 500 m but still). It quite depends on your playstyle. If you're more of a retina detaching lightning fast machinegun fighter than it's Atalanta all the way. More situational but if you can create the situations it's leathal. Atago somewhat more slow playstyle and can do well in LR HE spam as well as in close combat.

One tip for both ships: don't forget your AP in close-mid range...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOME]
Players
1,682 posts
9,146 battles
31 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

AFAIK the only cruiser ingame which can stealth torp

Mogami can do that as well (9.3 km stealth fully specced). Duca too maybe? (don't have it and too lazy to look it up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
740 posts
6,311 battles

Thanks again.

 

I bought Atago and had a good first game in her, although it was a loss. I'm a cautious CA player anyway (where it doesn't have smoke), so playing to concealment and picking targets is fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
701 posts
19,952 battles
40 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

But how is Atlanta to play with a mid level captain and do you have a different set up than other US Cruisers? I mean I do not use IFHE on T7-10. Do you use Cleveland/Omaha/Phoenix cpts then? No one of mine in T4-6 are above 10 pts.

Good question. Well as I see it its more or less some kind of "give-and-take-decision" meaning: 1 have 1x USN 19-points-skill-captain (Steven Seagal) which I run on 4 ships: Atlanta/Indianapolis/Pensacola/Alabama with succes. Skill settings:

PT + PM

EM

DE

AFT+RL+CE

 

can say you: took me some time to figure this one out lol...also contains some Flamu-input as far as Radio Location.

 

Can say, in practice this set-up works very well for all 4 ships I mentioned! true: not "tailor-made" for each ship in particular but as a whole: it works very well in practice. Makes yr ships real strong, all of em. Makes the Alabama (with upgrades stearing gears mod 2 + conceilment system) a real fighting machine (with its 50% torps protection!) Anyway: besides the point a bit: must say lately I more & more begin to admire the Indianapolis + Pensacola also..real nice ships to play with above skill-settings.:cap_popcorn::cap_look: &...gatcha:cap_rambo::cap_popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RN]
Alpha Tester
920 posts
2 hours ago, 15JG52Adler said:

Atlanta is worst t 7 CA. Atago is the best t8 CA. 

 

Your choice6 :)

 

atlanta was never CA, in fact it was never even CL but CLAA

 

@OT both ships have different purposes and play very different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,141 posts
5,915 battles

Will join with most of them - Atago. Reasons are above; nothing to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
1 hour ago, 15JG52Adler said:

Atago has more health, heal and better armor than Atlanta. 

 

And better guns, better damage consistency, might depend on the battle but IMO it's a better firestarter on average than Atlanta... As I said early the only reliable thing in which Atlanta is better than Atago it's that Atlanta's AA it's insane. Other than that it's the worse tier 7 CL, and compared to arguably the best tier 8 CA it's total crap.

 

Edit: I forgot to say that I completely agree that Atlanta can be pretty fun to play, but that's all that Atlanta has going for it at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
341 posts
6,326 battles
4 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Mogami can do that as well (9.3 km stealth fully specced). Duca too maybe? (don't have it and too lazy to look it up)

Add to that Edinburgh and Minotaur. Anyway to answer the question, I'd say Atago, generally more capable and easier to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×