Sign in to follow this  
_BubiHartmann_

Captain Skill - Priority Target - Game mechanics still unclear to me :(

5 comments in this topic

Players
26 posts

Good evening captains and gentlemen,:cap_yes:

in advance I would like to state that I indeed, though probably noobishly, (ab)used the search function which didn't find anything (at once.. I admit my lack of patience and effort...:Smile_bajan2:). On top of that, English is not my native language.

please allow me to express my lack of clarity concerning the 

Captain Skill "Priority Target" (Endurance column, Rank 1, left) :

• Assuming I sit in a smoke cloud (either a self deployed one by a DD, EN Cruiser, Kutuzov etc. AND/OR one already provided by one of the aforementioned ships)... will I still be informed by the UI that I'm being targeted by (a usual amount of) ships currently shelling me by "blind targeting", so either shooting at me estimating my last visual appearance, or aiming at explosion animations from successful previous hits on me before I disappear for him?

I imply the "best case" here: I am not detected. no sonar, radar, min. distance decloak, Airplane...obviously, and have no remaining shooting detection penalty on me

•  
  • Also, if not asked too much, I would also like to know how the game mechanics interpret enemy ship(s) currently aiming at me, however visible/detected to/for me by being spotted by (a) teammate/s (...any possible detection method implied).Will the Skill/UI Element show me the amount of those enemy ships, or not?

I hope my descriptions make sense to you.:fish_glass:

Thank you in advance for your time invested in order to provide me and maybe other readers with some insight on the matter.

Enjoy your weekend, find a distraction for the women, go get your Smith, and hope for good offers on Summer Sales.....:cap_like::cap_money:

• Cool 1

[BLOBS]
Community Contributor
921 posts
3,733 battles

The skill only works when you are currently detected by any of the aforementioned factors that you've listed off. Any enemy ship that is currently locked on to you (default key 'x') will add to the counter by the side of the detected warning (This is certainly true for Main Battery guns, I am still uncertain whether this includes torpedo tubes as well. Since secondaries are AI controlled, it wont add to the counter). If they're trying to blind-fire you whilst you're in a smoke screen or behind an island, the indicator will not work since you are not currently detected.

Hope that clears it up a little!

• Cool 1

Players
26 posts
34 minutes ago, StuntMan0369 said:

Hope that clears it up a little!

It does indeed, thank you very much!

So is it safe to say, the Skill is simply a reflection of active locks on you (all possible scenarios implied), correct?

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Yes, it's purely a reflection of active locks on you.

Also, now that more people have started using it and relying on it, I've noticed (and started using) a little trick where I manually de-select targets unless I'm literally about to shoot, and again after shot. So many people now sail in straight lines more because they think no number count means they're safe and don't react to it quickly saying 1 then 0 again, when in fact they have an accurate salvo on the way. So be aware of that if you use this skill.

Actually, you might find "Incoming Fire Alert" a bit to the right on the first row might help with that. I don't actually use it so I can't guarantee it works that way, but supposedly it tells you when shells are incoming. I don't know if it also relies on active target information or just shells inbound to your general area.

Could someone confirm that one for me and the OP? :Smile_Default:

Players
26 posts
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

Actually, you might find "Incoming Fire Alert" a bit to the right on the first row might help with that. I don't actually use it so I can't guarantee it works that way, but supposedly it tells you when shells are incoming. I don't know if it also relies on active target information or just shells inbound to your general area.

Could someone confirm that one for me and the OP? :Smile_Default:

From what I experienced and read:

IFE provides you with actually 2 Functions, which are very valuable, and it's passive: :cap_haloween:

• It tells you that shells from a ship, that actively targeted you before taking the shot, are incoming on your position, however at a minimum distance of 6 seconds flight time away. Within normal dispersion ranges you WILL definitely be hit "somehow" if you stay your course and speed (which makes sense because the IFE alert itself is triggered by enemy shots the moment they were fired, hence the logical assupmtion that the IFE is based on the projectiles original flight path and your course/speed at the time the shot was fired at you

ergo... you know when you need to correct your course and/or speed in order dodge incoming shells..

• It ALSO tells you when you have outmanouvered those incoming shells. As soon as the warning disappears your maneuvering efforts were enough to outmaneuver all shells that were directed at you when the warning popped up. So instead of nervously continuing to WASD Hack yourself out of the shellstorm you have: 

an indicator that precisely shows you when no shells are inbound on you ...

ergo..... you can adapt and shift between defensive and aggressive tactics much more efficient instead of guessing when you're out of trouble to consider reengagement.

But needless to say, as the description says truthfully: Only if the shells were fired from at lease 6 secs flight time away. No real usability for knife fighting scenarios.

Sign in to follow this