You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Barney_Wobba

First Month player: Ranked Battles

39 comments in this topic

[VNGC]
Players
53 posts
1,695 battles

So, I am no way a great player. Watched a ton of vids, listened to some friends who played for ages. I am also, relatively new.

So, I come to ranked battles, get to R13.

The last two play days I seem to have had a mad crazy [edited]bunch of Edited to play with. I think tonight I've played about 14/15 ranked games and won maybe 3 or 4. Why? Well, I think poor comms and extremely poor play from otehrs, and about three times myself. Twice I had DD's AFK on our own team until it got close at the end, then they just saif forward and suicide...this was almost two games in a row.

Without team groups you cannot guarantee Edited u gonna be with, could be multiclent abusers etc.

Also...some player are just Edited . Why oh why do you always team me with them??????????????

• Cool 1

Players
3,598 posts
7,323 battles

Ranked is not the place for players with about 400 games.  You are not facing T6 standard players (not all the time anyway), you are facing multi-thousand game veterans who frequently know what they are doing.

• Cool 1

[VNGC]
Players
53 posts
1,695 battles

Ok, I wont play out of fear.

Fear of 'better player and 'idiots'.

When am I allowed to play ranked battles??

Players
61 posts

I've played a few games.  Then a few thousand more.

Players in ranked are just the same idiots you get across all tiers.  Sometimes the dice are in your favour and you get a good team but even then you might end up carrying the New Mexico hiding behind an island all game.  Making it T6 means a lot more new players can join in, which has obvious advantages and disadvantages.

Ignore Capra, keep plugging away.  If you get to higher ranks (7 or above) you will be playing with good people who know the game.  You might not like their tactics or attitude but you might learn something.  Below that it is just a soul destroying grind of idiots.  My rule is generally to get to rank 12 and grab the rewards then wash my hands of it; life is too short to put myself through that crap every few months.

[WGP2W]
Players
746 posts
13,025 battles
2 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

When you feel that you start to "care" how you do.

Which is precisely the problem, because that is also when ranked goes from simply being a no fun and campy experience and turns into the horrible, infuriatingly hateful, soul-crushing grind-fest it is designed to be.

So why does anybody even play it? Rewards. WG have, in their infinite wisdom, placed all their player incentives in the least enjoyable gaming experience imaginable.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
6 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

Of course - You can play ranked but first look at http://wows-numbers.com pick your nick and read what Personal Rating (PR) you have. So how do you want to play on in theory competitive level, when doing so (here paste Your PR) ?

And how you can demand better playing from others, when you are not doing better then as you call: "idiots" ?

Players
349 posts
2,315 battles
4 hours ago, Namolis said:

When you feel that you start to "care" how you do.

Which is precisely the problem, because that is also when ranked goes from simply being a no fun and campy experience and turns into the horrible, infuriatingly hateful, soul-crushing grind-fest it is designed to be.

So why does anybody even play it? Rewards. WG have, in their infinite wisdom, placed all their player incentives in the least enjoyable gaming experience imaginable.

I got all of the decent rewards playing extremely causally. 30 games over the course of the past week or so to get to rank 10 from 22. (62% win rate).

I don't think new players should be discouraged from playing T6 ranked if they show they are willing to learn like the OP. Play it if you want to play it :)

4 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Of course - You can play ranked but first look at http://wows-numbers.com pick your nick and read what Personal Rating (PR) you have. So how you want to play on competitive level when doing so (here paste Your PR) ?

And how you can demand better playing from others, when you are not doing better then as you call: "idiots" ?

Wow my PR is bad there, 62% ranked win rate and average PR. Warships today seems to think I have been playing at Unicum level and wows-numbers thinks I am terrible :cap_yes:

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
9 minutes ago, Bladezfist said:

Wow my PR is bad there, 62% ranked win rate and average PR. Warships today seems to think I have been playing at Unicum level and wows-numbers thinks I am terrible :cap_yes:

I am not going to offend You but please - have at least a little selfcriticism. You are a new player which is just starting to learn and even after playing a few thousands games a chance that you will be real Unicuum player, statistically is slim ..

Players
349 posts
2,315 battles
2 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

I am not going to offend You but please - have at least a little selfcriticism. You are a new player which is just starting to learn and even after playing a few thousands games a chance that you will be real Unicuum player, statistically is slim ..

That was me criticising the meaning of the stats you are using as a barrier to play when shaming new players. With that much variation across the two it's hard for me to put much faith in any of those numbers.

I've been playing since the game released (On the day, I think). I think casual player better represents me than new player.

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles
6 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

You are "allowed" to play whenever you want to dude, people with more battles than you are not Gods to give you instructions for your own WOWS account.

That been said, if I had only a few hundred battles, I wouldnt be bothered with Ranked.

You can try and climb some first Ranks to get the feel for the next season plus some flags etc. but you must understand that the higher the Rank you progress, the more carrying potential you need to have and the more a burden for your team you become if you dont have that carrying potential.

You did very well to study Youtube videos,they are a solid choice for learning new strategies and tactics.

Cheers

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
Players
3,035 posts
16,257 battles
8 minutes ago, Bladezfist said:

That was me criticising the meaning of the stats you are using as a barrier to play when shaming new players. With that much variation across the two it's hard for me to put much faith in any of those numbers.

I've been playing since the game released (On the day, I think). I think casual player better represents me than new player.

I am soory I don't understand what You mean: " when shaming new players". I am not shaming anybody. The person which started the topic shamed others players, so I very kindly tell to look at his own stats when making such statements about poor player base in ranked,

Anyway this topic will be closed soon, becouse shaming other new comers in post 1 and 3.

[1ST]
[1ST]
Beta Tester
55 posts
4,228 battles

I have reached rank 7 now and untill you reach rank 10, you will see alot of potatoes, after that it gets better. Atleast it was for me.

To be able to reach rank 10 though, you pretty much need to carry your team, which might be hard depending on your ship and playstyle.

Try to communicate alot and suggest to your team what todo, most of the time they will follow but there will always be suiciders.

My tip: Pick 1 good ship, preferably DD or BB, that you play very well with it and stick with only it. Play nothing else.

[TOAST]
Players
191 posts
2,554 battles
7 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Ranked is not the place for players with about 400 games

Serious?

I thought if he payed his subs then he could play whatever he wants, I have only 1.2K games under my belt and played 7 games in my first ranked season, and climbed 4 ranks, I have a personal rating of 2,081 in the New Mexico, I enjoy Ranked as much as I do Random.

My advice to new players is, If you have ground your way to Tier 6, then play ranked, get some experience this season, next season and the seasons after you will gain to higher ranks.

[SSS]
[SSS]
Beta Tester
84 posts
8,484 battles

A few things about ranked that you need to understand:

1. The teams will average out which means that you are the deciding factor, at least on average. You get to rank 1 despite your team mates, not because of it.

2. Potatoes are everywhere, factor this in when you play or prepare for salt.

3. The 11+ bracket is basically random battles since anyone can play, the 6-10 bracket has a much higher standard of play but is still a bit potatoey. The 2-5 bracket has all the good players in it getting salty off losing constantly because they are finally against equal opponents.

4. The most important thing you can do is give your team a plan, if the team works together (even just a bit) your chance of winning goes up massively. Please only give directions if you genuinely know its a good idea though, ideally because it worked before.

[AAA-]
Players
663 posts
5,032 battles

That moment Michael checked his world of .... player stats :Smile_trollface:

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,088 posts
11,651 battles

I disagree profusely with the notion that new players shouldn't play ranked. They should - it gives them valuable experience and it accelerates the learning process a lot.

Also, I feel people have a fundamentally flawed way of looking at ranked. Not everyone is meant to get to rank 1 - it just won't happen. 

The correct way to play ranked is to get as far as you can, then when you hit the "wall", you wait a week or so and try again (better players will have moved on to higher ranks). And then play until you hit your next "wall" and so on. 

If by doing this, you get to rank 1, good. If not, it's still a complete victory as long as you learned something. 

Now I am not saying stats don't matter and the OP is most likely overestimating his ability but I think he/she should continue with ranked 100% and focus more on what he could do to improve the likelihood of a win

Also, I keep saying this again and again, over a decent number of games, you will face as many bad teams as you will be part of. Everyone should stop whining about their "bad teams" because it evens out. Your overall win rate will not be affected by bad teams - although you might have like 5-10 bad teams in a row.

• Cool 6

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,611 posts
5,167 battles
16 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

I disagree profusely with the notion that new players shouldn't play ranked. They should - it gives them valuable experience and it accelerates the learning process a lot.

^Very much this.

The advantage of ranked is that the teams are smaller - you are no longer 'lost in the crowd' so both 'you' and your choice of ship stand out more and have to do more as part of the 'team' to ensure the victory. I do better in ranked than I do in randoms (win rate) which I am sure is down to the fact that it "encourages" focus in the game and yes, I do stupid things sometimes, which is why I am not purple.

Players
425 posts
8,791 battles

If your account is high enough to participate in ranked battles then play ranked.  The rewards are worth it (low levels) and the experience is invaluable if taken the right way.  I have to admit to only playing six ranked battles so far as the frustration was inevitable. :cap_rambo:  I'll have another go at it later.  Best to look at it as another form of random battle scenario, which means team work only raises it's ugly head on the odd rare moment.  But thing main thing is to enjoy your gaming, when it p*sses you off, stop playing and do something that brings a smile back to your face.  Different mode, different game or even heaven forbid, go out and enjoy the sunshine :cap_cool:

''Carry on Captains''

carry on.gif

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles
32 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

Also, I feel people have a fundamentally flawed way of looking at ranked. Not everyone is meant to get to rank 1 - it just won't happen. 

The correct way to play ranked is to get as far as you can, then when you hit the "wall", you wait a week or so and try again (better players will have moved on to higher ranks). And then play until you hit your next "wall" and so on. 

If by doing this, you get to rank 1, good. If not, it's still a complete victory as long as you learned something. 

Now I am not saying stats don't matter and the OP is most likely overestimating his ability but I think he/she should continue with ranked 100% and focus more on what he could do to improve the likelihood of a win

Also, I keep saying this again and again, over a decent number of games, you will face as many bad teams as you will be part of. Everyone should stop whining about their "bad teams" because it evens out. Your overall win rate will not be affected by bad teams - although you might have like 5-10 bad teams in a row.

Very well put indeed. +1 like

The part of "it's still a complete victory" reminded me of the Charlie Sheen meltdown back in 2011.

Check this on youtube

[BSW]
Players
2 posts
5,372 battles

Your skill is important, but ultimately a lot of rank progress is luck of the draw. 

I had streaks of 10+ 90% win rates. In some of those games I played extremely well, in others so-so, occasionally messed up badly (eating a random torp while mid turn in my DD), but somehow I ended up on the winning team more often than not and it did feel a bit random. Went through to rank 6 in no time at all. Had some extra luck when many of the losses came right around the time I reached irrevocable thresholds and when topping the scoreboard during some defeats. Frankly, I was surprised how easy it was to rank up and I am not exactly a great player (52% WR overall, 54.8% WR last 26 days, 57.5% WR in ranked). 

Past two days, it's more like 5 losses in a row, 5 wins in a row, win, loss, win, loss. Maybe I've just hit my skill ceiling, but frankly, I'd say I've been playing better in those games, been more useful to my teams. Yet, in the end, zero progress in two days of playing. 

Good players ultimately progress through ranks faster. But even top tier players can go on losing streaks (watch Flamu's streams on Twitch for examples :P ). Frankly, when I go on a bad run (especially when I play well and team decides to throw three games in a row from winning positions), it's better to either take a break from WoWs or at least switch to play a few random battles. 

• Cool 1

Players
593 posts
9 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

So, I am no way a great player. Watched a ton of vids, listened to some friends who played for ages. I am also, relatively new.

So, I come to ranked battles, get to R13.

The last two play days I seem to have had a mad crazy [edited]bunch of morons to play with. I think tonight I've played about 14/15 ranked games and won maybe 3 or 4. Why? Well, I think poor comms and extremely poor play from otehrs, and about three times myself. Twice I had DD's AFK on our own team until it got close at the end, then they just saif forward and suicide...this was almost two games in a row.

Without team groups you cannot guarantee wtf u gonna be with, could be multiclent abusers etc.

Also...some player are just fuking idiots. Why oh why do you always team me with them??????????????

Barney, those battles that you lost, how many did you get the most XP for your team?

If you didn't get most XP, the player that did get most XP could easily turn around and say that you played like a "mad crazy moron... and extremely poorly". In which case you deserved to lose a star.

If you're playing with a team that's as bad as you're saying - and yes you do get a fair share of poor players at ranks 10 to 15 -  then it's easy to get more XP than any of them and therefore keep your star.

Whatever happens in a ranked battle, I see nothing on your part to complain about.

Either you win - in which case be happy

Or you lose and get top XP - no harm done as you keep a star. You did your best. Can't win 'em all.

Or you lose and weren't top XP for your team - in which case you have no right to complain about poor play from your team-mates as you were part of the problem. Treat it as a learning experience and try to play better next time.

And finally please carry on playing the game however you get most enjoyment. Don't worry about your stats. It's only a game!

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,088 posts
11,651 battles
8 minutes ago, tank276 said:

The part of "it's still a complete victory" reminded me of the Charlie Sheen meltdown back in 2011.

Check this on youtube

Totally off topic, I know, but that interview is so much sadder now that we know he is HIV positive, poor guy.

On topic, I love how right after I say that overall, over a decent number of games you will have as many bad teams on your side as on the opposite side, someone makes the point that it's luck of the draw.

It's not luck over the whole ranked season. It has nothing to do with luck - yes you will always lose some games but if you are good, you will always win more than you lose and you will lose fewer stars in loses as well.

[SSS]
[SSS]
Beta Tester
84 posts
8,484 battles
8 hours ago, LP_M said:

Your skill is important, but ultimately a lot of rank progress is luck of the draw. 

I had streaks of 10+ 90% win rates. In some of those games I played extremely well, in others so-so, occasionally messed up badly (eating a random torp while mid turn in my DD), but somehow I ended up on the winning team more often than not and it did feel a bit random. Went through to rank 6 in no time at all. Had some extra luck when many of the losses came right around the time I reached irrevocable thresholds and when topping the scoreboard during some defeats. Frankly, I was surprised how easy it was to rank up and I am not exactly a great player (52% WR overall, 54.8% WR last 26 days, 57.5% WR in ranked). 

Past two days, it's more like 5 losses in a row, 5 wins in a row, win, loss, win, loss. Maybe I've just hit my skill ceiling, but frankly, I'd say I've been playing better in those games, been more useful to my teams. Yet, in the end, zero progress in two days of playing. 

Good players ultimately progress through ranks faster. But even top tier players can go on losing streaks (watch Flamu's streams on Twitch for examples :P ). Frankly, when I go on a bad run (especially when I play well and team decides to throw three games in a row from winning positions), it's better to either take a break from WoWs or at least switch to play a few random battles. 

While each match contains a significant amount of randomness in the teams average out and the large number of games to get rank 1 means that it is almost impossible to luck your way to the top. In particular the top bracket (2-5) is full of good players and bad players will often lose the game for their team since the skill tends to be quite evenly matched (everyone is good).

Players
2,743 posts
15,598 battles
19 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Ranked is not the place for players with about 400 games.  You are not facing T6 standard players (not all the time anyway), you are facing multi-thousand game veterans who frequently know what they are doing.

true and false at the same time ... wiered ^^

19 hours ago, Barney_Wobba said:

well I#d say if youve mastred the unserstanding of the game.

thing is  wows is not a complexe game but hard to understand.

how long it takes you  to "figue most of the stuff out" i cant tell you i see 5k battle plyers that make fundamental mistakes.

yet other players with a couple of 100 games get decent results by making the right battle choices

(to get accuracy and make prediction shoots so people acuse you of chaeting takes a while longer ;-) )

so i'd say the right answer would besomething along the lines when you have a > 50% WR in every ship class on the tier ranked is at.

that should indicate that you have a good clue about mechanics.

but bear in mind  actions right in random battles might be the wrong choice in ranked.

Players
425 posts
8,791 battles
14 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

but bear in mind  actions right in random battles might be the wrong choice in ranked.

Although as per the last ranked season that meta seems to dribble through to randoms matches too.  Bummer if you are an aggressive player and your team mates turn and run at the first sighting of an enemy boat :fish_panic: