Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
spartan_G257

Page 176 of the Grand Fleet by DKBrown on the subject of 16" guns to 18" guns

5 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
824 battles

Something I remembered from reading The Grand Fleet Warship design and Development of the Royal Navy from 1906-1922 was Page 176, In particular the first page from the Design of the G3 Battlecruiser it's in the First Paragraph underneath the Blueprint designs of the G3 and I'll quote in full from start of the paragraph till the End in relevence;

"In the next battlecruiser design 'G 3', the 18in gun was replaced by the 16.5in, changed to 16in in January 1921. (DNC pointed out that there would be little change needed to fit twin 18in in place of the triple 16in.) She carried three triple turret in the same configuration as 'M 3' and there were two funnels on her long after superstructure."

DNC by the way stands for 'Director of Naval Construction'. I hope that I need not tell you of the importance this could be given to the current potential T10 Battleship of the Royal Navy. HMS Conqueror started of with 4 twin turrets of 18in guns but has now been changed to 4 triple turrets of 16in guns. If what is stated by d'Eyncourt (The DNC at the time) could be thought to be true, what are the chances that the Conqueror could start of with 12 16in guns and then be upgraded with 8 18in guns?

I certainly see it as very possible.

Though there is one thing that confused me greatly. Why didn't they include the G3 Battlecruiser anywhere. I would have thought she would make a great T8 ship. nine 16.5in guns 32knts (although in all probability would have only made 31-31.5knts) with 14" Belt and 8" deck armour? It would have about the same armour as the KGV, slightly better speed and the guns to fit in at that tier. than you could have had the Nelson as a premium ship?

Players
341 posts
6,326 battles

I guess I have more tolerance for historical inaccuracy when it comes to paper ships, seeing as you can't really create an inaccurate recreation of something that never existed. I just feel a 4x2 18" would be a breath of fresh air and feel less like a Iowa/Montana clone. If they offered the 18" as an upgrade even with similar performance I would be happy with that.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,108 posts
11,635 battles

I really want the Conqueror to keep 2x4 18" guns. So that it resembles a giant T10 Warspite style BB.

The changes are so MEH

Even better as others have said, give people the option...

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

G3 is more of a T9 candidate in my eyes, T9 in a BC/Fast BB tree. Slotting her in to the RN BB tree coming out would be a bit awkward anyway. 

Sign in to follow this