You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pasch

Dunkirk - Operation Dynamo - 0.6.8 || 5 Stars || World of Warships

32 comments in this topic

Players
3,590 posts
7,312 battles

I gave it a go on the PT server and my first impressions are that it's not very good yet, there just isn't that much to do in the mission, just sail to point A, wait for the counter to reach 500 than sail to the exit whilst taking pot shots at the occasional S=boat, it's just a bit boring.

Weekend Tester
541 posts
4,964 battles

First game, four of our DDs sail straight into the minefield and BOOM!

Second game, four of our DDs sail straight into.... etc.

Third game, only three of our DDs.... etc.

Players
341 posts
6,326 battles

I was under the impression the minefield could be navigated with caution but I see OP and his team decided to avoid it entirely.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles
3 minutes ago, Flid_Merchant said:

I was under the impression the minefield could be navigated with caution but I see OP and his team decided to avoid it entirely.

I don't think so. I entered once turning away from torpedoes and it was really dense. Hit one mine, and decided to comeback reversing in a straight line. I was literally surrounded by mines.

Players
341 posts
6,326 battles

That's a shame, it would be nice to give a strategic option of navigating the minefield (and maybe less air attacks seeing as it is further from their spawn, or some other balancing quirk) or not.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
4 hours ago, Darth_Glorious said:

Dunkirk minefield is very dense, you don't want to get in it.

And you cannot destroy the mines, because they are modeled from torpedoes...

Dunkirk_Minefield.jpg

Damn the minelayers must have been having a bad day...

"This sucks. The weather sucks, it's cold, raining, there are Brits shooting at us. Well **** them, throw those mines overboard. You know what, better, just ****ing dump them all right ****ing here."

• Cool 4

Beta Tester, Players
278 posts
5,033 battles

I see there in only two different DDs in OP's team. Is it because those are new T5 premiums or are those even ships and you can't play any other DD?

Beta Tester
2,335 posts
1 minute ago, Sams_Baneblade said:

I see there in only two different DDs in OP's team. Is it because those are new T5 premiums or are those even ships and you can't play any other DD?

In fact, Anthony and Cyclone are event ships for that operation.

Other one you can use is Gallant, but it is unavailable for pubs on the PTS. Only STs have them now.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles
10 hours ago, Exocet6951 said:

Damn the minelayers must have been having a bad day...

"This sucks. The weather sucks, it's cold, raining, there are Brits shooting at us. Well **** them, throw those mines overboard. You know what, better, just ****ing dump them all right ****ing here."

I was chatting to one of my customers, he's a RN bomb disposal trainer, they recover about a dozen sea mines per year. Doesnt sound much till you realise that's WW1 mines as well. Could be another 5 decades before that number drops below 5 a year

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players
278 posts
5,033 battles
6 minutes ago, Darth_Glorious said:

Other one you can use is Gallant, but it is unavailable for pubs on the PTS. Only STs have them now.

Oh ok.
Damn, I was hoping to bring a Farragut/Anshan, which have godlike AA in comparizon ;)
Still nice, tho.

Players
3,590 posts
7,312 battles
18 minutes ago, Darth_Glorious said:

I would be surprised if the ships don't end up in the tech tree at some point, albeit with some balance changes.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
9 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

I was chatting to one of my customers, he's a RN bomb disposal trainer, they recover about a dozen sea mines per year. Doesnt sound much till you realise that's WW1 mines as well. Could be another 5 decades before that number drops below 5 a year

That doesn't surprise me, with "fire and forget" weapons like those.

They still find bombs from time to time.
They found bombs in Dusseldorf and Hannover earlier this year, and still do almost every year.
A buddy of mine had just the best excuse to come to school late one day.
Unexploded bomb near his appartment building, everyone had to evacuate. 

I went to visit the tank museum in Saumur a few months ago, and they had a fantastic exhibit on WWI infantry equipment, with a twist. All of it was equipment recovered rather recently.
Among it all, there were grenades.
I tells you all you need to know about digging around the East of France: don't do it.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles
4 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

That doesn't surprise me, with "fire and forget" weapons like those.

They still find bombs from time to time.
They found bombs in Dusseldorf and Hannover earlier this year, and still do almost every year.
A buddy of mine had just the best excuse to come to school late one day.
Unexploded bomb near his appartment building, everyone had to evacuate. 

I went to visit the tank museum in Saumur a few months ago, and they had a fantastic exhibit on WWI infantry equipment, with a twist. All of it was equipment recovered rather recently.
Among it all, there were grenades.
I tells you all you need to know about digging around the East of France: don't do it.

Aye, same thing in London. Our great grand children will be clearing up our great grandparent's wars

Beta Tester
2,335 posts
10 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

I would be surprised if the ships don't end up in the tech tree at some point, albeit with some balance changes.

They are placeholders only...Their current stats are not tier 5 materials.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
51 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

Aye, same thing in London. Our great grand children will be clearing up our great grandparent's wars

"The sins of our fathers" springs to mind.

A grim reminder that war is not just something we see on the news, or play in video games.

I'm glad we're able to see eye to eye on that, no matter how self evident it might be.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles
1 minute ago, Exocet6951 said:

"The sins of our fathers" springs to mind.

A grim reminder that war is not just something we see on the news, or play in video games.

I'm glad we're able to see eye to eye on that, no matter how self evident it might be.

We argue because we are so alike. You and I agree on more than we care to admit

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,171 posts
2,397 battles
1 minute ago, fallenkezef said:

My first experience of this was seeing HMS Antelope hit by a bomb in the Falklands War.

Only a couple of years before I had walked her decks when she visited and we had a couple of her crew come to our house for dinner.

That's the exact moment I grew up and realised war is real and terrible. I understood why my Grandad would only tell us his funny war stories.

520849625.jpg

• Cool 2

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,683 posts
9,234 battles
24 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

That is indeed a very strong possibility.

If my courses in electromagnetism have taught me anything, it's that magnets with the same polarity repel each other.
Also, magnets are weird.
Like, really, really weird.
Which is what happens when you condence everything into 3 apparently simple mathematical equations.

We might be getting slightly off topic though.
So to get in back on track, I find it odd that the DD supposed to be giving AA cover is the Anthony when its AA is just worse then the Cyclone when the consumable is off cooldown.
Surely WG could bump up the Anthony's AA a little bit ?
Maybe let the Cyclone carry a bit more people on board to compensate, making the Anthony the damage dealer and the Cyclone that support ship sticking close to the fleet.

17 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

That's the exact moment I grew up and realised war is real and terrible. I understood why my Grandad would only tell us his funny war stories.

Same.
I only heard the funny stuff, like the time him and his buddy assassinated a boulder in Normandy with a PIAT they were given with almost no instructions and absolutely no training.
So if one day you're over there and see a boulder split in half, you can tell yourself it might be the handiwork of two 19 year olds with access to high powered explosives and no idea how to use it 

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,660 posts
1,442 battles
8 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

My first experience of this was seeing HMS Antelope hit by a bomb in the Falklands War.

Only a couple of years before I had walked her decks when she visited and we had a couple of her crew come to our house for dinner.

520849625.jpg

One of my uncles was a navy diver. He served in the Falklands and was on the body recovery teams. We should all be thankful we play wargames rather than the real thing

• Cool 1

Players
750 posts
2,987 battles
6 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Never got to hear my grandad's war stories he passed not long after I arrived. He served in the 2nd battalon of the London Irish Rifles in WW2 which was part of the British 8th army. He started his war in North Africa and finished it in Italy. Never talked about it according to my old man. The only thing we really know is this my father got a letter from Italy a few years ago the end result of that letter was the discovery that we have family in Italy......make of that what you will.....

3 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

One of my uncles was a navy diver. He served in the Falklands and was on the body recovery teams. We should all be thankful we play wargames rather than the real thing

When my other half was in the RN I used to worry like no tomorrow when he was away. I still worry from time to time I've got a twin in the RAF and an older brother in the Army.

Anyhow just downloading the PTS now :Smile_Default:

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,171 posts
2,397 battles
52 minutes ago, GhostRider_24 said:

Anyhow just downloading the PTS now :Smile_Default:

Yay

[NWP]
Players
729 posts
6,281 battles

That mission looks good, thanks for the vid Panzer :Smile_medal:

My family are Irish, but I did have a great uncle killed in Korea, serving in the British Army (Royal Ulster Rifles). Got a medal high enough that my granny had to go to the palace to pick it up. Sadly he was killed after capture, having never given up info that would have damned his comrades. I visited their Museum a couple of years ago when I was working in Belfast, found his name. The regiment was disbanded in 1968 but I bought a pennant to remember him by.

My wife's grandfather served in North Africa and Italy during the war. My brother in law married an Australian woman of German descent - turns out her grandfather served in North Africa too, firing at grandpa from the other side. I love that story, it makes me proud to be a European and proud that our continent is past that, for the most part :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edit to add: William and Adolf (his name, really). The greatest generation :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2