You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kim_Jong_Tobi

Will WG do something against Botting at some point?

21 comments in this topic

[WOTN]
Players
7 posts
9,624 battles

T 8 match.

3 BB (Colorado, Bismark, Nagato) botting at A which we capped early for the whole match.

Bismark was following the Colorados every move, either somebody matched this or more likey a bot of some kind was on "follow" to the Colorado. Both were not eben shooting back or hitting "r" when torped and flooding. Nagato occasionally shot back.

Our "team" obviously lost the game with effectively 9 vs 12 with 3 BB down very badly. 

Am I supposed to just accept this and smile or is the game provider at some point going to do something against this crap? Because it sure is not an incentive to dump more money their way.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
926 posts
11,570 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

A lot of people are just bad, do not read too much into it.

There are also a ton of real bots thou, you don't denke that. Great example are all the ships are are "afk" all round until the first enemy shell lands on them, then they suddenly wake up and start to engage with laser accuracy. Too easy to notice, too hard to ban apparently .,

• Cool 1

[UN]
Weekend Tester
866 posts
20,410 battles
On 6.7.2017 at 0:40 AM, Corvi said:

all the ships are are "afk" all round until the first enemy shell lands on them, then they suddenly wake up and start to engage

This.

A few days ago, I read a confession Q&A on reddit from a WoT botter. Word is if you have gold/doubloons on your account, WG is very reluctant to take actions. Yes, they hand out warnings, but that's pretty much it. So don't expect anything. While other companies at least acknowledge the problem and use it for positive PR (e.g. Blizzard and their ban waves every couple of weeks), WG prefers the 3 wise monkeys.

[-TXG-]
Players
2,395 posts

Still not seen a definite bot in WOWS, only a couple of suspicions. AFK ships are not bots either as there is no point to it as there is no reward for doing nothing.

Looking on youtube, there is a severe lack of WOWS cheat videos and the few there are are old, especially compared to the rife with cheats WOT. 

I quit WOTs because it is full of cheating scum and on realizing even players (unicum) in my own clan at the time were using them that was me done. 

[BUSHI]
Players
3,157 posts
16,622 battles
39 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

Still not seen a definite bot in WOWS, only a couple of suspicions. AFK ships are not bots either as there is no point to it as there is no reward for doing nothing.

Look more closer ex. what some "AFK" ships are doing. I have seen:

- not moving all the game but turrets are tracking nearest target and never fire ?!

- turrets in starting position, any sign of life, but when torped with flooding - at once repaired the leak

- some look like AFK and open fire when spotted and see close enemy.

Some time ago there was a lot of "players" which sailed around the map, never firing, hitting every island on the way and from time to time spamming: I need fire support. Crazies or just bots ?

[GOUF]
[GOUF]
Beta Tester
249 posts
5,441 battles

Sort of related: for 3 times now, I met members of a certain clan whose names start with the same prefix and are all written in caps. Some of their stats are unbelivable, like 14% W/r. and with very few games played.

Last time I met them they played 2 Shima and 1 Gearing and all they did was to sit in the same smoke patch and launch 40 torps volleys in general direction of enemy every 2/3 minutes. Once spotted they were just mildly reactive, and got sunk quite easily (still they cashed 1 or 2 kills in total with that torp carpets) so I think that more than bots it's a case of multiboxing: if this was the case, how is multiboxing handled by WG? Can it be considered as botting or unsportsman conduct? Or is it all fun and games?

[-TXG-]
Players
2,395 posts
15 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Look more closer ex. what some "AFK" ships are doing. I have seen:

- not moving all the game but turrets are tracking nearest target and never fire ?!

- turrets in starting position, any sign of life, but when torped with flooding - at once repaired the leak

- some look like AFK and open fire when spotted and see close enemy.

Some time ago there was a lot of "players" which sailed around the map, never firing, hitting every island on the way and from time to time spamming: I need fire support. Crazies or just bots ?

I hardly ever see AFK (for the whole game) although I did torp an AFK New Mex last night on my other account....he didn't fire at me once with main guns, only a few secondaries. AFK for the first 30 secs or minute maybe and they soon spark into life when their slow PC or whatever allows them to. 

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,800 posts
5,676 battles

Theres been a fair few no camo, no flags, sail around doing nothing. Hard to tell if theyre a bot or just an utterly terrible player.

One however Im certain was a bot - in ranked had a farragut that mirrored everything I did. I mean exactly mirrored, it stopped when I did, turned whenever I did etc etc, to the point where I sailed in a small circle and it did as well.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,808 posts
7,520 battles

I too think the majority of "bots" are jst bad players who dont give a damn.

• Cool 1

[ONIX]
Players
1,087 posts
9,046 battles
1 hour ago, RambaRal said:

Sort of related: for 3 times now, I met members of a certain clan whose names start with the same prefix and are all written in caps. Some of their stats are unbelivable, like 14% W/r. and with very few games played.

Last time I met them they played 2 Shima and 1 Gearing and all they did was to sit in the same smoke patch and launch 40 torps volleys in general direction of enemy every 2/3 minutes. Once spotted they were just mildly reactive, and got sunk quite easily (still they cashed 1 or 2 kills in total with that torp carpets) so I think that more than bots it's a case of multiboxing: if this was the case, how is multiboxing handled by WG? Can it be considered as botting or unsportsman conduct? Or is it all fun and games?

German names per chance? If so, I've had the pleasure of having them twice in my team.

[GOUF]
[GOUF]
Beta Tester
249 posts
5,441 battles
1 hour ago, Taliesn said:

German names per chance? If so, I've had the pleasure of having them twice in my team.

It's possible, I cannot remember exactly now but I can check this evening, as I have a screenshot (and the replay) of the last macth. 

[ONIX]
Players
1,087 posts
9,046 battles
15 minutes ago, RambaRal said:

It's possible, I cannot remember exactly now but I can check this evening, as I have a screenshot (and the replay) of the last macth. 

It could be we are talking about a different group of people but the 2 Shimas bit struck a chord (though they were playing 3 Shimas back then IIRC)

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

WG has mentioned that the vast majority of the bot reports they get turn out to just be incredibly bad players. Taking their word for it is up to you.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,204 posts
2,452 battles
16 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

WG has mentioned that the vast majority of the bot reports they get turn out to just be incredibly bad players. Taking their word for it is up to you.

Thats the problem though isn't. Short of interogating a players PC to monitor active processes, and monitoring USB and PS2 input serial streams what can WG actually do? To do that breaks just about every data protection law going and would require player consent, and a bot wouldnt give consent and neither would the vast majority of the player base.

There are other metics WG could check. IP address, mac address, number of battles played in a time frame etc but they are not conclusive. Short of NSA or GCHQ type hack activities they cant do much.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,235 posts
7,438 battles

there is quite a few bots that's for sure but some of what "we" like to think are bots are as said just bad players

one of the problems I have seen is the bot that just sails towards caps and get killed at the start damn bots do my head in ohhh hang on that's me in a dd so forget them bots they are ok

joking aside I feel wg don't much care about bots and as such will never really stop em

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
999 posts
10,977 battles
5 hours ago, bushwacker001 said:

Looking on youtube, there is a severe lack of WOWS cheat videos and the few there are are old, especially compared to the rife with cheats WOT. 

I quit WOTs because it is full of cheating scum and on realizing even players (unicum) in my own clan at the time were using them that was me done. 

I have. Came across a user called Bot_(insert some numbers here to avoid naming and shaming) sailing a Tirpitz along the map border on Trap. Guns permanently pointed OFF the map and just firing torpedoes every time they came off cooldown. No enemy ships within 20km. Reported him using in-game bot tool and then checked his game count after the match. Guess what, to this day that game count is still rising.

[-TXG-]
Players
2,395 posts
1 minute ago, xxNihilanxx said:

I have. Came across a user called Bot_(insert some numbers here to avoid naming and shaming) sailing a Tirpitz along the map border on Trap. Guns permanently pointed OFF the map and just firing torpedoes every time they came off cooldown. No enemy ships within 20km. Reported him using in-game bot tool and then checked his game count after the match. Guess what, to this day that game count is still rising.

Sounds more like cherry2blost playing his best. :Smile_hiding:

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
999 posts
10,977 battles
Just now, bushwacker001 said:

Sounds more like cherry2blost playing his best. :Smile_hiding:

Nah, wasn't quite that bad.

*Sorry boss, don't sack me when you read this*

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,870 battles

That ship going since the beginning into a circular regular trajectory until hitting the border of the map and slipping up to the corner or ending stuck in the first ground/island.