Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
steviln

What about making the game a little bit more like a ship game?

12 comments in this topic

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
17,157 battles

I am not claiming I want it to be a simulation or something like that, but what about including a bit of wind and especially waves, making ship that run at very low speed and being stationary drift? I think with all this static bow tanking, it is starting to feel more like a tanke game :( By making stationary ships drift a bit, extreme camping would be much more difficult. Making the game more fun. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,132 battles
10 minutes ago, steviln said:

I am not claiming I want it to be a simulation or something like that, but what about including a bit of wind and especially waves, making ship that run at very low speed and being stationary drift? I think with all this static bow tanking, it is starting to feel more like a tanke game :( By making stationary ships drift a bit, extreme camping would be much more difficult. Making the game more fun. 

Bad idea. When dodging Torpedos every meter counts.

Imagine the salt if those waves let a DD drift into a Torpedo without his fault because he slowed down while he turned in to the Torpedos.

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
17,157 battles
Just now, Miessa3 said:

Bad idea. When dodging Torpedos every meter counts.

Imagine the salt if those waves let a DD drift into a Torpedo without his fault because he slowed down while he turned in to the Torpedos.

As I said I did not want a simulation mechanic as such. Rather a more arcade like mechanic, where it mostly affect battleships and cruiser. Yes, I do see the problem with DDs and admit I forgot to think about it. I want to make it impossible for BBs and cruisers to camp behind rock, bow camp and generally move about as a tank. 

Players
15 posts
6,157 battles

I do understand you point steviln, but I don't think that would change the game in a good way. See, Gajin is bringing out their Naval Battle extension to WarThunder. WarThunder is more simulator-like than world of tanks and so they implemented waves and wind. And they seem to be really struggling with getting this working. I played a Naval Battle a bit and I have to say the aiming is crap with the waves. I also wish for a more "stormy" atmosphere when a cyclone is going on in the game, but I don't want this to affect the gameplay.

See you at sea, Captain!

Sincerely

Eiji

[UK-RN]
Beta Tester
449 posts
7,644 battles

In the early days of the game i remember that CAs could fight in open water. Auto Ricochet and Overmatching was different back then so CAs could fight out in the open without fear of deleted unless showing full broadside. Cruisers now need the added protection of something solid as they are punished for fighting in open water. I fear if you idea of drifting was implemented the game would become even more static as people wouldn't position themselves in a area where they could drift into the open.

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
17,157 battles
15 minutes ago, EijiroPaenices said:

WarThunder is more simulator-like than world of tanks and so they implemented waves and wind. And they seem to be really struggling with getting this working. I played a Naval Battle a bit and I have to say the aiming is crap with the waves. I also wish for a more "stormy" atmosphere when a cyclone is going on in the game, but I don't want this to affect the gameplay.

I did not explain myself well enough. What I am proposing is that to implement waves in a way that the only real effect is to make camping BBs and cruiser drift out of position. No change to game except for that. 

Players
15 posts
6,157 battles
31 minutes ago, steviln said:

I did not explain myself well enough. What I am proposing is that to implement waves in a way that the only real effect is to make camping BBs and cruiser drift out of position. No change to game except for that. 

Mmh, that would be a possibility, but there are also cruisers that rely on camping, for example the poor Des Moines, so you would have to balance it in a way, that not every ship is affected the same by the drifting. Like mikelight1805 mentioned above you would have to watch out that people don't get even more campy (This even a word?). I think it would be nice to implement a current on some maps that make camping in some particular spots for bigger ships impossible or very difficult. Here's an example with the map Two Brothers. It would be dangerous to camp behind the Islands because you could be drifted out into the open, but smaller ships (blue dots) could still go into some cover.

CurrentsWoWs.jpg

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

You people know that there is no "water" as such right? Sea surface is flat, bow wave and all is just another texture, there are no water effects to be had, or will be...

Players
684 posts
5,411 battles
5 hours ago, steviln said:

It's a question of processing power online. Not going to happen with a world wide market and lots still using the Fred Dibnah Mk1 steam reciprocating binary bead counter.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,445 posts
15,737 battles

If they wanted to fix all the wrong aspects of the game and make it more "naval" they would have to remake the game from scratch.

-Rework EVERYTHING involving carriers (hopefully realising they don't fit the game scale and removing them completely),

-Rework EVERYTHING related to smoke mechanics and spotting (radars, hydros, fighter planes),

-Rework EVERYTHING about shells, armour and damage (including the very retarded concept of Citadel hit).

-Eliminate the absolutely stupid idea of capping.

-Reduce gun accuracy all across the board.

Stuff like that would make it closer to a proper ship game, and not the current World of Tanks on flat terrain we have now. Wind or currents can be left out, unless they also want to include sailing ships (which I always thought could be great stuff for an April's Fools event).

Sign in to follow this