Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sael_

Graf Zeppelin

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

51 posts in this topic

Captains,

Apart from the British Battleships we have something else for you: 

Graf Zeppelin

Designed to provide air support to heavy unit raids into the North Atlantic, the Graf Zeppelin got bogged in a powerplay between the Navy and the Air Force... Until it was too late. Her construction stopped in 1943; she was scuttled by her crew in 1945, raised by the Soviet Navy and, in the end, used for explosive tests and sunk in 1947.

f00c6280-5b54-11e7-9885-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

47cfd002-5b4f-11e7-9885-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg 48873d00-5b4f-11e7-af53-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

49b61cdc-5b4f-11e7-91cd-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg 4a532054-5b4f-11e7-91b0-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

5 people like this

I Have been hoping for this ship for a long time. it has an interesting history and finally a non USA or IJN carrier.

What is a little puzzling is that the ship apparently reflects a state of 1945, while the planes look like the originally evisioned Bf 109T and Ju 87C. I would have thought that there were plans to replace those aircraft as they were quite aged by 1945, may be some FW190 variant for fighters and something something for the attacker role?

(inb4 someone conjures up Me 262)

It is beautiful...unfortunately I suck at playing carriers and doubt I will get it. :Smile_amazed:

Beautiful ship.

But seriously, WG, now realese the RN Roma. You have to, and you know it.

1 person likes this

The only thing that i fear is the impact on my wallet :Smile_sad:

1 person likes this

Oh come on WG you release Kaga, then the Big E which will be here wery soon and now Graf Zeppelin? :cap_look::cap_win:

My credit card cries  :Smile_coin:

The ships look very nice.:fish_cute_2::cap_like:

That thing is huge.:cap_wander:

Don't know much about CVs but i feel it lacks planes for it's size and tier but anyway, interesting to get.

Cheers.

Well.. preety nice that this is is finaly in game but I would like to see the other historical squadron layout with the Fi-167 torpedo bombers and Ju-87 dive bombers, or with the Ju-87C beeing in both torpedo and dive squadrons, just for more diversity. Anyway the only "problem" I see here is the there are only 42 planes on a tier 8 ship, which seems very little compared to Shokaku and Lexington that have 72 (in reality 84 and 78 respectively), not to mention the Enterprise with 96 (~90 in reality). All I can see is a buff of the historcal data (more planes than in reality) so that you don't run out of planes very early, or maybe better planes than the others have, like Saipan.

Do not forget that the 42 planes (historically proposed air group) was quite hypothetical - it might even have been proposed with only fixed wing planes in mind. Taking into account folding wings Ju 87C and tricks like deck parking could mix things up :)

Just a question ... if this shall be the "1945" variant ... why de heck they get Bf 109 T and Ju 87 C?

With the 1943 restart of the building there was planed to replace this planes by a carrier variant of the high altidute fighter project Me 155 as well as by the Ju 87 E (who based on the D-series and where even a D-prototype was converted) ...

The carrier in her 1945 config have no 150mm guns the mounted ones were dismounted and used at the atlantik wall.

Is that correct?

2 minutes ago, hani5 said:

The carrier in her 1945 config have no 150mm guns the mounted ones were dismounted and used at the atlantik wall.

Is that correct?

They was deinstaled, that's right before the 1943 restart of the building  ... but until the final building stop it was not decited if they get reinstaled or not ...

6 minutes ago, DeadMemories said:

They was deinstaled, that's right before the 1943 restart of the building  ... but until the final building stop it was not decited if they get reinstaled or not ...

i have found one of her last pics and they are not there, im researching where the guns be after the demontation. I think they were at a bunker or so.

https://goo.gl/images/JzH6dv

11 minutes ago, DeadMemories said:

Threy were removed to be placed in fortifications like the Atlantic wall and the Siegfried line so re-installing them was unlikely considering that Germany was starting to loose the war that time, after work stopped in 1943. They had much more important things to care about like the lost North African campaign, the Soviet counter-attack, Allied invasion of Italy and the imminent Normandy landings (talking about mid-late 1943 onwards). Finishing a carier was not as important that time and such powerful guns were needed elsewhere and they were more consentrated in submarine warfare, not to mention that resources for such a project were limited. I think it is more likely to be the early 1943 planed configuration than a 1945 one, taking into account the planes and armament.

5 hours ago, GeorgeT1012_gt said:

I think it is more likely to be the early 1943 planed configuration than a 1945 one, taking into account the planes and armament.

Exactly said it's the final design of the ship from the 1943 carrier building project restart including the 15cm sea target artillery as well as the original planed planes. As wrote, with the 1943 restart of the building it was planed to replace the Ju 87 C with the Ju 87 E as well as to replace the Bf 109 T with the Me 155 ... also a thing Wargaming does not consider here are the original planed Fieseler Fi 167 torpedo bombers (while the Ju 87 C's was dive bombers)

I wonder if the aircraft launch times are shorter than those of the other nations. As she was (from my knowledge) the first carrier aflot with a kind of catapult launch system. 

This is the reason why you can see those 2 lines at the forward end of the carrier deck. The planes were thrown into position rather than driving there themselfs.

And sorry for my bad english, it isnt my first language.

4 hours ago, DeadMemories said:

As wrote, with the 1943 restart of the building it was planed to replace the Ju 87 C with the Ju 87 E as well as to replace the Bf 109 T with the Me 155 ... also a thing Wargaming does not consider here are the original planed Fieseler Fi 167 torpedo bombers (while the Ju 87 C's was dive bombers)

Well, the Me155/Bv155 project was cancelled just because it was decided Graf Zeppelin would not be finnished, with only 3 prototypes made.

As for the Ju 87E, I don't know if this variant ever existed, if you have found something on that I would realy like to see it, all I know is that they developed Ju 87R variants from the Ju 87C. And as for the Ju 87C, it was both dive bomber and torpedo bomber, specially made for that purpose.

As for the original planned layout with Bf 109T, Fi 167 and Ju 87C, this is what I really wanted to see, but I will be satisfied with just Ju 87C in both dive and torpedo bomber roles.

15 hours ago, Tuccy said:

Do not forget that the 42 planes (historically proposed air group) was quite hypothetical - it might even have been proposed with only fixed wing planes in mind. Taking into account folding wings Ju 87C and tricks like deck parking could mix things up :)

Honestly, since we know the precise dimension of the ship and her hangars we could calculate how many aircrafts she could have carried... With a rather slight margin of error.

But I do not know the dimension of the planes.

2 hours ago, LastButterfly said:

Honestly, since we know the precise dimension of the ship and her hangars we could calculate how many aircrafts she could have carried... With a rather slight margin of error.

But I do not know the dimension of the planes.

Ju 87C

Wingspan: 13,2m
Wingspan with closed wings: 5m
Length 11m

Bf 109 T-1

Wingspan: 11,08m
Wingspan with closed wings: 4,59m
Length 9m

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0