Sign in to follow this  
Kazomir

IJN Cruiser decks, what are they made of?

8 comments in this topic

1,458 posts
2,638 battles

I am not talking about in-game statistics or armor.

All Cruisers' decks are either made of some sort of wood, or metal on their extremities (Germans use mostly wood for their decks, while most high tier USN and RN cruisers are metal decked)

Then, there is the IJN Cruisers (And destroyers, and Fuso's rear end as well) . Their decks are made of some sort of orange-ish...thing...But what is it?

Can someone explain this mystery?

[CLOSE] fallenkezef
1,356 posts
1,144 battles

All Cruisers' decks are either made of some sort of wood, or metal on their extremities (Germans use mostly wood for their decks, while most high tier USN and RN cruisers are metal decked)

Then, there is the IJN Cruisers (And destroyers, and Fuso's rear end as well) . Their decks are made of some sort of orange-ish...thing...But what is it?

Katana steel, folded a thousand times

[YARRR] El2aZeR
3,990 posts
10,862 battles

Looks like simple, red-painted metal to me. Though perhaps it is laminated to prevent people from slipping?

[CLOSE] fallenkezef
1,356 posts
1,144 battles

Looks like simple, red-painted metal to me. Though perhaps it is laminated to prevent people from slipping?

I'll be honest, don't know a huge amount about the IJN but I know the Japanese had a tradition of using lacquered materials. You can do this with wood so maybe this is the reason?

[NED] Ferry_25
3,305 posts
9,018 battles

Katana steel, folded a thousand times

*whisper* "It's like finding a 747 a thousand years before the Wright brothers ever flew!!!" I'm a major Highlander fan as well.... :teethhappy:

[SPUDS] Kaseko
4,467 posts
9,769 battles

actually if you look closely US High tier decks are wood as well just painted blue/grey)

713 posts
1,675 battles

Metal with a layer of wood on  top, one assumes. It was the norm at the time as I recall.

297 posts
5,099 battles

Japanese more imposing ships like BBs and BCs usually used wood as deck cover, but also asphalt and linoleum.

Lesser (much more numerous) ships like cruisers and destroyers used linoleum as deck cover. This mainly because linoleum was cheap. In Japan proper wood, for covering decks, was very expensive, in Japan wood was heavily used by economy, so it was in short supply.

Interior rooms had usually linoleum coverings for all ship classes, except "special" rooms like magazines and firerooms / enginerooms. 

Technically speaking, for wartime service japanese cruisers and destroyer were do have pare or painted uncoverd (metal) decks, with linoleum removed. Because of the extreme fire hazard of the linoleum. Also all interior linoleum for all IJN warship should have been removed. Historically, while interior linoleum was probably removed, big part of DDs, CAs and CLs sailed with linoleum deck covering, for its anti-slip proprieties.

Sign in to follow this