Tuccy

New ship preview: Heart of Oak

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

222 posts in this topic

Captains,

While the Soviet battleships may have been run-of-the-mill news... This is the one you have been waiting for!

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves?

For a long time you have been bombarding us with questions about British battleships - and... They are on the way! While it will still take some time to get to them, here are some early previews - enjoy!

First in line, the ship that suffered endless jibes for her looks: the Nelson class. When the Washington treaty cut down on the G3 battlecruiser and N3 battleship designs, the end result was a rather unorthodox design with all main guns forward. While battleships of this class were often compared to tankers, their heavy battery of 9 16-inch guns was nothing to be taken lightly!

93b7ae90-49de-11e7-a5f3-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

9472bb36-49de-11e7-987e-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

962918f8-49de-11e7-8430-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg 97148dce-49de-11e7-90eb-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg 97d6e202-49de-11e7-8ae8-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

While the Nelsons were powerful, they were somewhat slow. The Admiralty thus sought a new, fast and well protected class of heavy units. Limited in displacement and armament by the naval treaties, the five battleships of the King George V class still packed a respectable punch and protection. Get ready for their ten 14-inch guns!

0fac4c44-49f9-11e7-ab90-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

fa50d2c6-49de-11e7-9749-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

fab666cc-49de-11e7-af65-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg f9e85386-49de-11e7-b583-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

7 people like this

Let's continue with the second part of this reveal: The Lion class battleships!

Designed as a follow-up the the King George V class, they were supposed to be marginally faster, much heavier but most of all... Mounting a battery of three triple 16-inch gun turrets. Their construction was however stopped by the war and they were never finished. Check out what they would have looked like!

554b553e-49df-11e7-9749-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

57539076-49df-11e7-b583-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

56d23b0c-49df-11e7-9f99-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg559e4686-49df-11e7-987e-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Just after WWI British shipbuilding was gearing up to make the battleships bigger - based on wartime experience. While these projects were curtailed by the interwar economic and political realities, we can go all in for a what-if! Make way for the Design L2 battleship, HMS Conqueror and her 18-inch guns!

ca5ab874-49df-11e7-b583-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

cd41d11c-49df-11e7-9749-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

cf648322-49df-11e7-a5f3-ac162d8bc1e4.jpgcfacb8b8-49df-11e7-90eb-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

Heart of Oak are our ships,
Jolly Tars are our men,
We always are ready: Steady, boys, Steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.

13 people like this

I am so ready for this!

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nice!

But what is mine action guns? 

Edited by airbusss

How many new P2W premiums will come with this line?

BBs are already pretty strong, cant even imagine the Belfast levels of OP version of a BB.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So the Nelson will be tier VI? Logical conclussion is that Vanguard will take place at tier VIII. Great modelling work indeed. 

The whole line is getting exact shape:

III Orion?

IV Iron Duke?

V Queen Elizabeth ?

VI Nelson 

VII KGV

VIII Vanguard ?

IX Lion

X Conqueror

Suggested premium ships:

Lion (tier IV) 

Revenge class (Royal Oak)

Repulse (tier VI)

Prince of Wales (VII-VIII?)

Edited by Porpoisee

1 person likes this

So:

-Nelson in which tier?

-KGV in tier VII, correct or a typo mistake?

So:

-Nelson in which tier?

IMO Nelson will be tier VI and there is place for HMS Vanguard at tier VIII.

IMO Nelson will be tier VI and there is place for HMS Vanguard at tier VIII.

Nelson at tier VI is absolute nonsense, it's minimum tier VII material

2 people like this

Nice!

most likely secondary weapons, a Russian - English translation mishap perhaps? your secondaries are proximity activated weapons afterall.:)

How many new P2W premiums will come with this line?

BBs are already pretty strong, cant even imagine the Belfast levels of OP version of a BB.

Idk, recent and upcoming premiums all seem balanced. Hope it will continue, but right now there is absolutely no base for crying havoc about OPness.

Posted (edited)

Nelson at tier VI is absolute nonsense, it's minimum tier VII material

9x 406 seems like overkill, but you do not have softstats from the ship. Speed is terrible and the ship is a gigantic target. We already have even bigger ship than Nelson on tier VI with more and even bigger guns - the Mutsu. I think she fits in tier VI quite well. Could be another tier VII premium also.   Edited by Porpoisee

So the Nelson will be tier VI? Logical conclussion is that Vanguard will take place at tier VIII. Great modelling work indeed. 

The whole line is getting exact shape:

III Orion?

IV Iron Duke?

V Queen Elizabeth ?

VI Nelson 

VII KGV

VIII Vanguard ?

IX Lion

X Conqueror

Suggested premium ships:

Lion (tier IV) 

Revenge class (Royal Oak)

Repulse (tier VI)

Prince of Wales (VII-VIII?)

At this point I can unfortunately neither confirm nor deny any such tree yet ;)

We will share more information when we have it, the ships are still in very early testing.

1 person likes this

My gut feeling is that Nelson will be premium

I know I'm normally one of the more reserved forumites 'round these parts, but I just fanboy'd all over the floor.

MY BELOVED KGV IS HERE! ALL HAIL THE KING! :honoring:

In all seriousness, I've dreamt about this every day since I started playing; that model is absolutely divine, the camo too if they go with that one. She is GORGEOUS. Utterly, utterly GORGEOUS. The most perfectly proportioned woman ship i've ever laid eyes on. I don't even care that her guns will bounce off half the armour she meets....she's GORGEOUS and I WANT (neigh, I) NEED her NOW!!! :izmena: (also, if you bring some 9-gunned 15-inch mutant into the game instead of her quad mounts, I will come to Cyprus and RN BB fanboy all over you....)

No prizes for guessing my favourite 20th Century ship design...is it legal to marry ships in England? I believe it may just be...:)

4 people like this

Nice!

Guns for shooting nearby mines. I believe they would also try to shoot inbound torpedoes. @WG devs - that would be a cool feature :)

Hope that Roma or at least Jean Bart will come out with those battleships.

3 people like this

So:

-Nelson in which tier?

It looks like they haven't decided yet and this tier 7-10 test for tier position and radar validity.

Fuso can dominate tier 8 bow campers by spamming HE, there's nothing to stop KGV being a scumbag too. Nelson is too slow for those large maps. :P

She is GORGEOUS. Utterly, utterly GORGEOUS

Honestly, I never realised how good looking the KGV design before these renders. It sits so low and Mediterranean bow looks very menacing. They've done a fantastic job with the models. :honoring:

Posted (edited)

Oh mine action guns are secondaries. Somehow slipped past...

Edited by Tuccy

3 people like this

Obviously an oversight but I didn't see Dreadnought anywhere, do I need to go to Specsavers?

Quite curious. But I'll have to see them first. Don't want to play a BB line which only can shoot HE.....

What we really want to know how long have we got to wait for these ships 

WG usually has a consequent line in how ships develope within the tiers as regular tech tree units: gun calibres only get bigger, never smaller.

At tier VI, we already have the Warspite (which is, of course, a premium ship). With KGV and 14" at tier 7, Vanguard (with 15") at 8, Lion (16") at 9 and "Conqueror" papership at tier 10, the Iron Duke class would be the most logical addition for tier 6 as a regular tree ship, with Nelson placed at tier 7 for a premium BB, since Premium BBs are allowed to go against the "increasing calibre" rule. That´s at least my theory...

looks like i am going to need to Git Gud at BBs!