puxflacet

do we need death explosion?

• You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

41 posts in this topic

Probably the most cheesy thing about whole WoWs is the overthetop death explosion animation. I remember it was the very first thing which made me cringe when i saw it and over the time i somewhat learned to live with it. But do we really need that?

I understand its practical purpose: it is there to let know ever to the dumbest player that the ship is really dead "so stop shooting, hes dead! you know?"

Still the animation looks really weird when ship is flooded or rammed to death. But even if ship is shot, torped, burned down or detonated the animation doesnt look right (we all know how magazine detonation should look like). I know it is nitpicking but I am one of those who believe that immersion is important. 

So i would welcome realistic animations like:

• flooded to death, rammed to death - ship just tilt or capsizes and slowly sank
  • shot to death, burned down - tilt and sank on fire
  • magazined

so when hp is depleted, ship's info would just disappear and there can pop up some icon over the ship to let everybody know that it is going down...or even give the player option in menu to choose if he wants realistic death animations or the current explosion and make the explosion default so that the less observant players wouldnt have troubles.

8 people like this

Competitive real-time games put a lot of emphasis on visual and audio queues, they not only have to give immediate feedback to the player about what's happening but also to reward the player with something satisfying for their accomplishments. There's a reason why every COD has a sound effect specifically for headshot kills, along with meaty and satisfying sound effects for just about everything - it's an immediate audio treat to the player for doing well. WoWS uses the same concept. Kill a ship, watch it blow up and get an awesome sound effect. That said, it's a bit silly for flooding. Also, I'd be more interested in a rework of the rudimentary ramming system than just changing the graphics.

thats a good point. i didnt realize its orgasmic aspect...still i would prefer some more elegant solution

I would like it to be not quite so dramatic. It does feel really over the top and it's something that bugged me even back in closed beta. I don't mind there being fire and smoke etc, the current death explosion is over the top and tbh more like what I'd expect from a ships magazine going off.

When I destroyed an enemy ship the red ribbon is satisfying enough for me. I rather have realistic animations, not those ships ablaze after a fatal flooding like it's directed by Michael Bay.

GIFs-Directed-by-Michael-Bay-03.gif

5 people like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd have to disagree, when a ship explodes irl it is a hell of alot bigger than what ships currently do in WoWs. Ships that sink quietly can explode even if you can't see any fire so personally different explosions for the death note would be something I'd like to see. A detonation irl is very impressive. Recently a chap put a video up somewhere here about detonations and the explosion from the Battleship exploding from one torpedo is devastating. As has been said and audio/visual que is necessary as is in other games. I'll see if I can find the video or thread.

Here we go;

Slightly too modern but you get the idea...(skip to 31 seconds)

Not all ships exploded when they were hit but this was just to show it happened alot more frequently than people think. Michael Bay was right all along :amazed::trollface:

Edited by HotshotJimmy

1 person likes this

I'd have to disagree, when a ship explodes irl it is a hell of alot bigger than what ships currently do in WoWs. Ships that sink quietly can explode even if you can't see any fire so personally different explosions for the death note would be something I'd like to see. A detonation irl is very impressive. Recently a chap put a video up somewhere here about detonations and the explosion from the Battleship exploding from one torpedo is devastating. As has been said and audio/visual que is necessary as is in other games. I'll see if I can find the video or thread.

Here we go;

[...]

Slightly too modern but you get the idea...(skip to 31 seconds)

[...]

Not all ships exploded when they were hit but this was just to show it happened alot more frequently than people think. Michael Bay was right all along :amazed::trollface:

I agree with the OP and you.

I think that it should be a mix. Not all warships explode when they die. Not all of them even sink in a few seconds. So a detonated ship should blow up like the second vid in my opinion.

But the other ships should either be floating burnt out hulks. Or capsize from flooding and then either detonate (late), just float upside down for a while or break apart and sink.

The models are quite realistic already, now if only the animations were more realistic.

(That said, I'd like to see massive fireballs from a firing BB as well) 

maxresdefault.jpg

3 people like this

i know some ships indeed detonated usually after capsizing: barham, kongo, audacious, yamato...but some did not: yamashiro, fuso, bismarck, yorktown, prince of wales, repulse...(just few i can think of) i didnt say i dont want explosions at all. i was always saying that part of the current uselessnes of detonation mechanic is the fact that it lacks proper animation which would do that justice.

yeah it would be nice if some capsized wreck would suddenly detonate...but i think it should not happen regularly because we would get quickly bored of it and i think this huge explosion should be card in a sleeve for detonation mechanic because there isnt much else what it can offer to the game

And even if ships should detonate: now as soon as your health bar runs out after a flooding your ship often has simultaneous small explosions over the full length of the ship. That seems unrealistic to me. I don't know about Kongou, but Barham was already sinking for four minutes. And if there should be an explosion, make it one single big one.

yeah. nevertheless the main problem with current explosion is that it doesnt look like anything which would normally happen

yeah. nevertheless the main problem with current explosion is that it doesnt look like anything which would normally happen

Agreed, I love me some realism and eyecandy. (Only in visuals though, not the game mechanics)

Yeah I agree with OP. Some different death effects would be nice. It does annoy me how everything explodes.

I rember in world of tanks years ago I had this very weird battle - I got shot by arty and the first shell killed 2 of my crew members. 2 shells later, the arty managed to kill the other 2 crew members and my tank was "dead", even though it had even 150hp left on it. If WoT can make u die without fancy explosions, I don't see a reason why warships can't. 

We need more death/explosions animations imho, especially critical ones like the epic crit ammo-rack explosion in WoT where the turret flies off far and fires just erupt sky high out of the tank. :playing:

1 person likes this

We need more death/explosions animations imho, especially critical ones like the epic crit ammo-rack explosion in WoT where the turret flies off far and fires just erupt sky high out of the tank. :playing:

...and the main mast is launched into the sky, makes an ET pass before the moon, and spears the nearest enemy ship through the funnels!!! :D

I wouldn't remove any animations that are allready ingame, but add more - add more breaking in parts, add super over the top explosion for Detonations... The more epic the better! 

Optional 'Eldritch Horror' setting: Death by Kraken!!! :ohmy:

(Can be deactivated in the port menu.)

Why do ships sink so quickly after dying, why not have ships that burnt to death become floating hulks that are navigational hazards?

Why do ships sink so quickly after dying, why not have ships that burnt to death become floating hulks that are navigational hazards?

At a guess? Because they would seriously block certain parts of certain maps, to the detriment of the game experience.

At a guess? Because they would seriously block certain parts of certain maps, to the detriment of the game experience.

i dont think so. would be definitely problem in game with multiple spawns but i doubt that it would somehow obstruct the gameplay in wows. tank wrecks in wot also dont disappear. i can imagine battleship wreck could make a good cover for some dd

edit: although it is true that in wot you can push the wreck when it is blocking you...maybe this should be possible in wows as well

Edited by puxflacet

i dont think so. would be definitely problem in game with multiple spawns but i doubt that it would somehow obstruct the gameplay in wows. tank wrecks in wot also dont disappear. i can imagine battleship wreck could make a good cover for some dd

Alright, how about "too much extra strain on computer processing power"?

I don't know squat about programming, myself, but I seem to recall that adding permanent and semi-permanent elements to the gameplay architecture, can put quite a strain on the CPU*?

*If that's what it's actually called. I got the term from Terminator 2.

Edited by Procrastes

Alright, how about "too much extra strain on computer processing power"?

I don't know squat about programming, myself, but I seem to recall that adding permanent and semi-permanent elements to the gameplay architecture, can put quite a strain on the CPU*?

*If that's what it's actually called. I got the term from Terminator 2.

i also dont know anything about programing but you have these ships in the game right from the start anyway so why should their wreck put additional strain on cpu? i'm not saying all of them should stay afloat. maybe some, or remain afloat longer...dunno. but the idea has its merit...but i also remember the times when death ships went instantly down like a rock, so there has been some progress, no doubt

Yes, I really like the improved sinking animations. They add a lot of immersion value to the game!

As for the computer programming thing, do you recall those old shoot-em-up games where the dead bodies used to blink away and disappear after a few seconds? I was told that this was because of the strain it took for the game engine to have them remain indefinitely.

Edited by Procrastes

As for the computer programming thing, do you recall those old shoot-em-up games where the dead bodies used to blink away and disappear after a few seconds? I was told that this was because of the strain it took for the game engine to have them remain indefinitely.

ok. i believe you :)

ok. i believe you :)

I'm not really sure you should do that.... I'm waiting for one of those übergeeks computer wizards that abound on this forum, to jump in and smack me over the head with the "that was ages ago, where have you been hiding you old coot?" bat! :D

Edited: Quod erat demonstrandum; see post 26 below. Also, ouch!

Thanks, Stewie!

Edited by Procrastes