Sign in to follow this  
gravelbelly

Atlanta

8 comments in this topic

Players
197 posts

The Atlanta is a good looking ship, especially with the permanent cammo.

But she needs something to make her competitive.

She only has 13k range, so as soon as she fires she can get smashed by other ships.

her gun arcs are very high ans the shells take so long you have to aim nearly 2 ship lengths ahead to hope hitting your target, so a range increase would be a waste of time.

her armour is weak, so any cruiser can smash her.

She is extremely situational, hiding behind island and ambushing anything that might come in range. Expose her and she dies.

She's suppose to be able to hunt DDs but her shells take so long to get there it's hard to actually hit said DD.

It would not take much to hake her competitive.

Any one of three improvements would maker her more competitive.

1. Guns: Change her shell arcs and speed to that she can aim and hit better.

2. Torpedoes: give them an 8km range to make them more useful to offset her bad guns.

3. Smoke: ala Flint so that she would not have to rely so much on islands. A lot of games would expose the to serious damage before she can get under cover. out in the open as soon as she gets spotted, she gets focused.

Either one of these would make a big difference to her.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

[...]

1. Guns: Change her shell arcs and speed to that she can aim and hit better.

2. Torpedoes: give them an 8km range to make them more useful to offset her bad guns.

3. Smoke: ala Flint so that she would not have to rely so much on islands. A lot of games would expose the to serious damage before she can get under cover. out in the open as soon as she gets spotted, she gets focused.

[...]

The Atlanta is an incredibly fun ship that is quite difficult to do well in. She is extremely punishing for any mistake and for anyone to see her. Her damage output isn't high but withering and more of an annoyance than anything else.

And with the RADAR she can actually attack DDs (and now cruisers) in smoke.

That said, having her guns up to 13km means she is spotted from 13km now when she shoots. If you don't take AFT she's only spotted from 11km when shooting.

The problem with increasing her shell velocity is that you are not just making hitting targets further away easier. It also destroys her ability to shoot over islands. And shooting over islands kind of is the only thing keeping her alive. (you have a massive chunk of hundreds of meters of rock acting as armour and prevents your spotting).

#2 and 3 are both Flint-like. Since the Flint gets 9,2km torps and smoke. I don't know how much better range torps will balance out the Atlanta. On top of that, smoke and RADAR? Is that balanced? Or force people to choose between smoke or RADAR?

That said, Atlanta is in an awkward position. She is able to do well, but it is incredibly difficult to do so. So I do think she could use a buff... but with her is it quite easy to over buff her at this point I think.

• Cool 1

[EXNOM]
Players
557 posts
5,422 battles

Nothing wrong with the Atlanta. It's an exceptionally good ship but requires very good play style.

Check this out:

• Cool 1

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles

Ah the mandatory Atlanta vid.

You just have to realise that some ships can be fun although not necessarily competitive.

If there's no islands or smoke to steal you've crapout.

But the next game you do get islands and ambushes and can't stop giggling at the torrents of salt from burning BB's.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

[...]

You just have to realise that some ships can be fun although not necessarily competitive.

[...]

Just enjoy it for what it is.

Well, is it to much to ask for a fun ship to be competitive as well? Don't get me wrong, I love the Atlanta to bits, even if she smacks me down all the time.

I will keep being bad with her and playing her even if they change nothing on her.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

A friend of mine trolls all of you who say Atlanta is uncompetitive.

He's won Ranked with her...

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

Atlanta is okay, but I dunno why WG gave her only 13mm bow, stern and weatherdeck armor... It should at least be 16mm cmon

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Nothing wrong with the Atlanta. It's an exceptionally good ship but requires very good play style.

Check this out:

Oh that movie never gets old! It 's because of this I really started to like the Atlanta. AP on BS cruisers in close range? Got 8 citadels in 1 salvo alone.

Players
3,130 posts
10,809 battles

I really wanted this ship and still do but....Spamming from behind a hill just to stay alive is so boring. You shoot your spotted, your spotted you die pretty quick. Plus a have lots of tier 7 premium ships already.

I can see that its a big bag of fun to play and nothing gets on a BB/CV captains nerves more than this little ship.  Against a CV? Park the thing in the middle behind a hill, job done.

Should have got it when it was on sale, but i didn't think i would have took it out of port much

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

I really wanted this ship and still do but....Spamming from behind a hill just to stay alive is so boring. You shoot your spotted, your spotted you die pretty quick. Plus a have lots of tier 7 premium ships already.

I can see that its a big bag of fun to play and nothing gets on a BB/CV captains nerves more than this little ship.  Against a CV? Park the thing in the middle behind a hill, job done.

Should have got it when it was on sale, but i didn't think i would have took it out of port much

I have one - I am rubbish with her by all standards, but she is great fun to play :)

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It's very expensive for a gimmicky ship.

It is fun but it might depend how deep your wallet is. On that map where you manage to brawl and your AA kills 30 planes then it's good fun.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

On that map where you manage to brawl and your AA kills 30 planes then it's good fun.

My sekrit teknik is to rely on everyone assuming my Atlanta has AA when actually I have radar+sonar for maximum destroyer tears.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

My sekrit teknik is to rely on everyone assuming my Atlanta has AA when actually I have radar+sonar for maximum destroyer tears.

I take it too since I tried to use it in the last season of ranked (failed too lol)

It's viable to take Defensive Fire these days as there are so many Kagas etc around

Sign in to follow this