Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
fallenkezef

Hood, why so special?

63 comments in this topic

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

why is Hood so damn special anyway? Warspite had a more glorious career, KGV was more modern and Nelson was a much better design. Bismark was the better biat but she us a normal T8 while hood is T7 with fantasy, over-buffed AA

Beta Tester
449 posts
3,183 battles

Simply put she was the largest warship the Royal Navy every launched and was the largest warships afloat for quite some time

as such was used as a simbol of power and pride for 20 years. She visited every corner of the globe and was a house hold name in Britain through the 1920- 30s

The main thing with hood was it's histrtoy and status within the fleet rather than any waritime actions, she had a grand peacetime career and Britain was proud of her.

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
1,210 posts
1,486 battles

^ That basically, probably THE warship of the interwar period. Then became infamous for her sad and unlucky demise. 

[H_FAN]
Players
2,589 posts
41,731 battles

why is Hood so damn special anyway? Warspite had a more glorious career, KGV was more modern and Nelson was a much better design. Bismark was the better biat but she us a normal T8 while hood is T7 with fantasy, over-buffed AA

Beautiful, fast, well known, Nelson? Ugly!!

Warspite is already in harbour.  

[DAVY]
Players
2,792 posts
13,894 battles

he seems upset the RN is getting a bit of love at last...

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,052 posts
8,760 battles

Hood set the pace for how the future would eventually build the battleships. Big, fast and still quite well armoured. She was outdated at her end, but even so, she was monumentally unlucky.

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,569 battles

Everything they said, plus heavy nostalgia for me - I had lots of ship models before time, dust and accidents ended them. Hood was the first.

Ofc WG had to defecate on it with the "we tried that two times and it was bad, so we try third time" staggered release. FFS at least release the ship itself before the end of the campaign, it looks like really low blow like this.

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

Can't say I know much about the interbellum period other than the mutiny in the 30's.

Edited by fallenkezef

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Hood basicly has the same fame as Yamato and Bismarck in a way. Being Big and generally seen as a status symbol and being the pride of the fleet if not their respective nations.

Regardless of how much they manage to actually accomplish. That is the thing with battleships, they seem to only need to be big and look intimidating to get fame.

Players
1,806 posts
5,868 battles

The only thing Hood is special for is because the ship got "fun and engaged" before it was cool and a thing that happened every day of the year. In fact I'm pretty sure that ship is the only reason we have such a good mechanic all day long in the game.

Also, how many topics about Hood are you going to start?

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

The only thing Hood is special for is because the ship got "fun and engaged" before it was cool and a thing that happened every day of the year. In fact I'm pretty sure that ship is the only reason we have such a good mechanic all day long in the game.

Also, how many topics about Hood are you going to start?

Not sure yet, we'll see how I feel

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

its so special because it was a nations pride at the time. believed to be the best they can bring to the fight.

a living meme from the times when britain was great... at fighting naked people armed with bows and spears.

but in reality... it was an obsolete crap boat, the only thing that kept it a float was a name and propaganda, no wonder it got one shooted :teethhappy: by the first real opponent it ever faced. 

2,556 posts
1,899 battles

If I remember correctly it was even caleld the Royal Navys largest submarine because it constantly went underwater whenever heavy waves came around.

They added too much armor to it and even then it was not enough.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Well I guess it's mainly a feeling OP. Can't explain why but my favorite battleships were/ are Bismarck, Arizona and Yamato. Neither of them played a significant strategic role in WWII. In my case it's the utter tragedy of those vessels. They went down whithout a chance. All 3. at least Bismarck had a chance to fight back. My guess is the Hood fans are having feelings about that ship as well: taking on a BB (Bismarck) while being under par is very heroic. And Hood went down because of a "(un)lucky shot" in the magazine. I won't make a stupid joke about flags here cause I'm serious in this one.

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

They added too much armor to it and even then it was not enough.

they refitted old battlecruiser with as much armor as they coudl which has not nearly enought ;)

the most wet warship, biggest submarine, I'm quite sure there were more nicknames for that ;)

and still quite well armoured.

even after the refit smashing as much armor as they could without sinking the ship, hoods armour was considered "nearly adequate" and even this only when engaging at very certain ranges due to plungin fire and sloping of rmor and stuff :sceptic:

Hood is basically big overhyped battlecruiser and since there was huge amounts of propaganda surrounding battlecruisers postership she seems so special to many brits out there :/

[and maybe some none-brits that have just happened to have too much contact with people that have been affected by aforementioned propaganda ;) ]

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,406 posts
9,717 battles

meh, blaming  luck/unluck one way or another is dumb in my eyes

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It was a good looking figurehead ship, at arguably the height of the Dreadnaught era.

Whether Hood actually lived up to the hype is debatable but blowing up in that way gives her a place in history. 

• Cool 1

2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Not that I really care about it anyway as in my opinion most battleships are too overhyped (well they do deserve their and part in the history books) and overshadow a lot of other great ships that did just as much if not more. 

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Not that I really care about it anyway as in my opinion most battleships are too overhyped (well they do deserve their and part in the history books) and overshadow a lot of other great ships that did just as much if not more. 

That's one thing this game gets right historically then!

BBs in this game are overhyped and overshadow the work of smaller ships that do more than they do :B

Edited by Negativvv
  • Cool 1

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Can't say I know much about the interbellum period other than the mutiny in the 30's.

Look up "Special Service Squadron" or "Empire Cruise". Basically, in 1923-24 she (and Repulse and a few light cruisers) sailed around the world over the course of a whole year to show the flag and reassure British colonies and allies that after the war to end all wars the RN was still top dog and would be there for them. Because of this, everyone and their dog from Capetown, to Sydney, to Vancouver, knew who had the biggest and fastest capital ship in the world, what she was called and how she looked (which contributed a lot to the impact). Iconic doesn't begin to describe how Hood was perceived back then. For most common people she WAS the Royal Navy.

[-GBF-]
Players
769 posts
3,622 battles

its so special because it was a nations pride at the time. believed to be the best they can bring to the fight.

a living meme from the times when britain was great... at fighting naked people armed with bows and spears.

but in reality... it was an obsolete crap boat, the only thing that kept it a float was a name and propaganda, no wonder it got one shooted :teethhappy: by the first real opponent it ever faced. 

Show some respect........1418 men died when HMS Hood was lost. People like you disgust me. 

• Cool 9

Sign in to follow this