Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amminus

Flammable battleships

21 comments in this topic

[X-864]
Beta Tester
21 posts
4,782 battles

Every game I see a Battleship sunk by a destroyer not with torpedoes but with HE shells and fire.

Surely if battleships were so flammable they would never have existed in the first place  

Edited by Asklepi0s

Players
502 posts
7,686 battles

I do agree, however CLs are as useful as a broccoli currently, so let them have this. You can 1 shot them when they are close

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,401 posts
8,235 battles

don't feed the troll kids.

I have to say! The worst troll on internet I've ever seen!
Edited by _DeathWing_

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

I was going to posts some photos of BB's buring irl.... but i came across this and got sidetracked, interesting reading:  have been told that if battleships of the Second World War era fired a broadside with all the guns of their main armament at the same time they would capsize. Can this be true?

There are rather impressive pictures of Iowa firing its main gun on the internet :

This one is already nice :

rQ4NO.jpg

But this one is even more impressive, showing the effect of the blast on the water.

Uss_iowa_bb-61_pr_cropped.jpg

Honestly, they don't even care. Guns absorbs the recoil rather well now, they're designed for it, and the ship itself being such a huge mass of metal, even with the brutal recoil it would never capsize, the keel is here to prevent that. And that would be a really, really bad ship design. I think it would actually never float in the first place. ^^

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts

That first photo Ive seen before.... I always suspected it was photoshoped.  Would love to see video of it.   (Sneaks off to youtube search)

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

The second one is from wikipedia and with multiple sources, I would think it's quite a serious pic.

However there's an edited version with a fake Yamato on it.^^

I found a discussion on reddit with those pics, with actual former men of the USN that served on the Missouri and Iowa talking about those broadside tests.

The only real problem is the blast, which means you can't have anyone near the gun when it's firing. On the opposite side of the deck isn't an issue tho.

Here's the topic :

• Cool 1

Players
1,890 posts
2,549 battles

again and again.

Battle of Tsushima strait, Russian crew were reporting japanese HE shells seting pieces of armour on fire.

come tell me more how it is impossible to do just so because of "hurrdurr metal cannot be set on fire"

Players
341 posts
6,911 battles

That first photo Ive seen before.... I always suspected it was photoshoped.  Would love to see video of it.   (Sneaks off to youtube search)

I've seen it in a book in the Library before photoshop was invented. The caption was "Imagine what it would be like to be on the receiving end."

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,073 posts
11,049 battles

Every game I see a Battleship sunk by a destroyer not with torpedoes but with HE shells and fire.

Surely if battleships were so flammable they would never have existed in the first place  

Do I need to bring out the report logs on the Prinz Eugen nailing the Hood with two 203mm HE shells, and starting two fires?

Wood burns, rubber burns, ammunition burns, liferafts and lifejackets burn, supplies found on the deck in general tends to be made of burn-y bits, hell even the crewmen can burn.

If you're still not convinced, ask the crew of the New Mexico if battleships don't burn:

bb-40-new-mexico-battleship-1945-05-12-k

"on 12 May, she was attacked by two kamikazes. One of them plunged into her, the other managed to hit her with its bomb. She was set on fire and 54 members of New Mexico's crew were killed, while a further 119 were wounded. Swift action led to the fires being extinguished within 30 minutes."

30 minutes worth of burning is a whole lot more than just fuel burning from what the kamikaze plane had in its fuel tanks.

I've seen it in a book in the Library before photoshop was invented. The caption was "Imagine what it would be like to be on the receiving end."

Now now, Adobe Photoshop didn't invent image manipulation.

Uncle Stalin was removing people from photographs (after "removing" them to gulags) long before the computer was even imaginable.

Edited by Exocet6951

Players
460 posts
2,228 battles

A bigger mistery is the fact that BBs can fix the damage but cruiser's can't. Like somehow BBS have a special crew that can fix damage but the cruiser crew are total noobs.

Remove that fix ability from all BBs or give it to ALL ships.

• Cool 2

Players
1,064 posts
4,944 battles

IRL fires could even be ignited by torpedo hits. Trolls should better be glad WG didn't read the account of the Surigao Strait.

Beta Tester
438 posts
3,005 battles

A bigger mistery is the fact that BBs can fix the damage but cruiser's can't. Like somehow BBS have a special crew that can fix damage but the cruiser crew are total noobs.

Remove that fix ability from all BBs or give it to ALL ships.

Great idea, lets force BB players to snipe even more! Just what the game needs.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,073 posts
11,049 battles

Great idea, lets force BB players to snipe even more! Just what the game needs.

Oh please, that argument is so played out...

Patchnotes for 0.6.78:

Flags now wave from left to right rather than right to left

"omg I camp more now!" - Terrible BattleBoat player

Edited by Exocet6951

Beta Tester
438 posts
3,005 battles

Oh please, that argument is so played out...

Patchnotes for 0.6.78:

Flags now wave from left to right rather than right to left

"omg I camp more now!" - Terrible BattleBoat player

Those flags flying left to right are battlebote tradition which allows you to push in. Without it they are nothing!

Players
2,385 posts
15,436 battles

don't feed the troll kids

Have a heart Mister. Everyone should have at least 1 warm meal per day.