Saskian

Is Tirpitz worth it?

35 comments in this topic

Players
33 posts
101 battles

I was thinking about buying the Tirpitz, but not sure if its worth it compared to Bismarck. So I took a look on both ships and compared some stats.

Main battery guns: Bismarck 380mm, Tirpitz 380mm

Main battery gun shell dispersion: Bismarck 255m, Tirpitz 276m

Secondary armament range: Bismarck 7km, Tirpitz 7km

Special ability: Bismarck hydro, Tirpitz torpedoes (6km range)

Concealment: 16.4km both ships

So if you don't want to play a secondary build Bismarck has actually more accurate main guns. If you upgrade the main guns on Tirpitz it will be the same as on Bismarck without the upgrade so it can be considered as a waste of upgrade compared to the Bismarck.

If you do want to run a secondary build than both ships are same in value, however Bismarck has a hydro while Tirpitz has a 6km torpedoes. To get the full potential of the secondary build you actually don't want to get super close, but keep the distance around 9km so your secondary guns can do the job. If a enemy ship is chasing you at that range its probably best just to run away while angled so your secondary guns keep firing. So for me Tirpitz torpedoes kind of lose their strength. Of course you can turn around and get closer so you can use them, but than you are not using your secondary guns effectively. Than Bismarck has a hydro. Its use is situational but can help you in close combat. You spot both torpedoes and ships easier. 

So can someone explain me what does Tirpitz do better over Bismarck? I'm not interested in captain training or credits. Is the armour different on ships? 

[V888]
Players
446 posts
19,509 battles

It Torps the crapout of stuff? I love ships like Tirpitz, Sharnhorst and Mutsu. Because I play a lot of DD's I always seem to find some good use for torps and troll people with them.

I even run torpedo reaload expertise on my Sharhorst, yea I know but its stupidly fun against other KM BB's because my torps are already on the way when try try to launch theres so they have to turn back in again. Once took on a Fubuki, Sharhorst and I think it was a Tirpitz in my Sharnhorst, Yea denied the crapout of them with those torps and WON that battle running after them and picking them off.

Torped at least on ship to death yesterday with it and me and my frind hade 12 strait victory's with Tirpitz + Bismark and torps was useful.

Also I run two catapult fighters, sure not as good as sonar but helps on the tirpitz.

Its not hard avoiding torps anyway so for that reason sonar just makes it super easy so not realy necessary.

Best use I would say is the ability to push smoke with sonar.

Bismark + Tirpitz division is extremely powerful, that way you have the AA of Bismark keeping CV away, Torps on tirpitz keeping BB's away from brawling, Sonar that keeps DD's away, then you can just kill everything on the map pretty easily at mid range.

Edited by G3Virus

Beta Tester
1,003 posts
15,882 battles

Tirpitz is as fun as the Bismarck, difference beying one is premium and makes more credits, but anything thats not tier 1-4 and 9-10 is not worth it, because you will be playing as the lowest tier pretty much 8 out of 10 battles with maybe 1 as a mid tier. For a tier 9, worst case scenario is beying mid tier, i wouldnt mind that if it was around 50/50, but thats not the case. Thow if you are good than playing against high tiers will bring you more credits, but that also goes for the team, while as you might secure one end of he map, the other will melt with 0 damage to the enemy team, and while you fought for 1 spot the enemy already has 2 and your team is down by half while enemy is still full. comunitis degradation and MM stupidity is why i dont play as much and often as i used to.

Edited by Azalgor

Players
33 posts
101 battles

Thx for answering guys, but I was asking about comparisons between the 2 ships not about credits, MM etc. Other things I noticed is Bismarck having better AA mid range, slightly better armour protection while Tirpitz has better ruder shift time.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,402 posts
8,255 battles

True! AA is worse if you compare it to the Bismarck. However since that buff on secondaries Tirpitz is really fun to play. Worth buying it IMO DEFO!

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,403 battles

One thing the stats don't mention obviously is the scare factor a Tirpitz has. Nobody wants to be within 10.6km of a Bismarck, but the 6km torps on the Tirpitz are especially scary.

Even if you don't hit with them, they're enough of a threat to force players into manoeuvres that puts them in a disadvantage. It's fun to see enemies panic when they realise you're charging them, and you can take advantage of their mistakes or when they're forced to show broadside.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,580 posts
18,355 battles

you probably have the accuracy mod installed on Bismarck as it has almost the same disperision as Tirpitz stock

Players
33 posts
101 battles

View PostKaseko, on 14 May 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

you probably have the accuracy mod installed on Bismarck as it has almost the same disperision as Tirpitz stock

​Its not. Tirpitz has the worst dispersion of all tier 8 BBs. Its 255m on stock Bismarck and 276 on Tirpitz.

View PostKaseko, on 14 May 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

​Sorry my bad. The dispersion is 276m on both ships when you upgrade the range on Bismarck guns. I was actually playing with 19.3km range and 255m dispersion on Bismarck. When the guns at upgraded the range is 21.2km and the dispersion is 276m just like on Tirpitz. Still if you don't mind the 2km range difference the dispersion is less on the Bismarck.

I'm getting confused now... does this mean that Tirpitz has also 255m dispersion on the range of 19.3km?

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I own both and since the Tirp buff I have hardly taken the Bis out.

In terms of gameplay they're almost identical now except for Tirp having nukes on-board (torps). Hydro is meh as you should know when you're being torped and a T8 BB is unlikely to dodge that many fish even with prior warning.

Players
33 posts
101 battles

Watching and listening to Flamu it seams to me that Bismarck is a preferred ship in competitive team play because of the hydro while for solo play in random games it doesn't matter what you play and is about personal preference.

[SERBS]
2,402 posts
8,255 battles

Then don't buy it. Soon you gonna have Bismarck campaign (final reward free Bismarck) complete it and you'll have it. Buy the Hood instead :trollface:

Edited by _DeathWing_
  • Cool 1

Players
33 posts
101 battles

Then don't buy it. Soon you gonna have Bismarck campaign (final reward free Bismarck) complete it and you'll have it. Buy the Hood instead :trollface:

Yes I should have waited, it would have been a great deal. I like the Tirpitz, nothing wrong with the ship, but getting a Hood bundle would have been better. Feel kind of stupid now.

[V888]
Players
446 posts
19,509 battles

Why wast money on a Hood Bundle? That stupid if anything. Wait until its 30€ with a port slot only.

I got my Tirpitz the first time it was sold without a bundle.

Bundles are stupidly overpriced, so are the stand alone ships but hey at least you dont pay for flags, credits and stuff one can earn plentiful ingame.

For a bundle you can get two new AAA PC games at least, the prices are just stupid.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,406 posts
9,717 battles

Wait until its 30€ with a port slot only.

also too much, I for one will wait few months for 30% off

[V888]
Players
446 posts
19,509 battles

I will wait for super container ;)  At least got my Arizona that way.

Players
33 posts
101 battles

The only reason I'm considering buying the Hood bundle is to make it sure I manage to finish the missions so I get the Bismarck since I don't own it (stack on Kønig). Since I brought the Tirpitz 2 days ago I haven't played it yet so I have submitted a ticket and asked for a refund. If I get a refund it would be easier for me to maybe buy 1 of the bundles, but only if they are not stupidly overpriced.

The other option is just to farm the missions with other ships.

Players
33 posts
101 battles

Well at least you get to play the Bismark on your other account Geralt_z_Rivii365 :)

​I am not Geralt_z_Rivii365.

Beta Tester
5,226 posts
24,098 battles

The only reason I'm considering buying the Hood bundle is to make it sure I manage to finish the missions so I get the Bismarck since I don't own it (stack on Kønig). Since I brought the Tirpitz 2 days ago I haven't played it yet so I have submitted a ticket and asked for a refund. If I get a refund it would be easier for me to maybe buy 1 of the bundles, but only if they are not stupidly overpriced.

The other option is just to farm the missions with other ships.

That s what you should do, get a refund (possible for 14 days if you did not played the ship at all). Then use the campain to get the Bismark.
  • Cool 1

Players
33 posts
101 battles

That s what you should do, get a refund (possible for 14 days if you did not played the ship at all). Then use the campain to get the Bismark.

​Its actually funny I don't care so much about the Hood, its the Bismarck I want.

Beta Tester
5,226 posts
24,098 battles

​Its actually funny I don't care so much about the Hood, its the Bismarck I want.

You can do the campaign without Hood, will only take longer.

[SERBS]
2,402 posts
8,255 battles

but getting a Hood bundle would have been better.

Why on Earth would you spend your money on that shite? As G3Virus said much better to buy only ship.