You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
venderbomb

Cruisers (or lack of)

66 comments in this topic

[BRIT6]
Players
40 posts
6,062 battles

Hey guys,

Hadn't played the game for a few days so popped on tonight and played some T10 matches. Every game had 5 BB's and 4 or 5 DDs - 2 or 3 cruisers at most, and more often than not they were focused as soon as they could and didn't last long. I remember this happening a lot but this was every game.....is there anything WG can do to promote cruiser play and make them more appealing? (they are after all the line with the greatest amount of ships, to have them played the least seems a waste of time and effort)

I have a T8 Brit, German, US and Russian cruiser and trying to decide which one to grind......not looking forward to it if they're as weak and poorly represented as this:(

Cruisers need love....badly

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,003 posts
15,882 battles

Cruisers are useless thats all you need to know.

So are CVs, and WG makes everything to point it out by puting more AA on anything that moves. So thats why you see a lot of DDs and BBs. BB tend to live longer and be forgiving and DDs feed on them. 

Putting premium camos for TX was one of the shittiest ideas ever promoted, since every noob can now go AFK and still farm credits.

Players
1,373 posts

I have a T8 Brit, German, US and Russian cruiser and trying to decide which one to grind......not looking forward to it if they're as weak and poorly represented as this

Given the increasingly passive meta at high tiers I'd advice to go with the bias. Russians are best equipped to deal with it. Heck, a Moskva with range upgrade can camp with the best of them. 

Players
3,037 posts
31,516 battles

Putting premium camos for TX was one of the shittiest ideas ever promoted, since every noob can now go AFK and still farm credits.

WRONG!!!!!  If you are AFK you get zero XP only the service bill....

[SLAPP]
Players
1,382 posts
8,686 battles

i would not say cruisers are useless. but with the BB increase you need to pay a lot of attention.

and in high tiers  with the cruiser unfriendly maps  they  are not really that fun  to play.

• Cool 5

Players
1,908 posts

i would not say cruisers are useless. but with the BB increase you need to pay a lot of attention.

and in high tiers  with the cruiser unfriendly maps  they  are not really that fun  to play.

What do you mean? It's fun having 5 BB's shooting at you as soon as you are spotted. 

How to play high tier cruisers: Find an island and :hiding:

Edited by MortenTardo
  • Cool 1

[DMAS]
Beta Tester
311 posts
2,638 battles

The solution is simple either a direct nerf to BB or an indirect nerf to BB.

[IAN_H]
Players
1,966 posts
6,657 battles

WG in it's quest for World of Battleships absolutely refuses to do the 1 single thing that would cure the problem immediately because restricting BB's to only 3 per match (or 2 BB and 1 CV) would increase BB queue times which makes BB;'s less popular.

In the mean time BB players are rightly complaining about the high number of DD's without realising that the high number of DD's is due to the low number of Cruisers to kill them, and the reason for the low number of Cruisers??????? Too many BB's and too many BB's = too few cruisers which = too many DD's which = unhappy BB players and the pattern repeats.

Think of it like a food chain - When there's too many Predators and not enough Food what happens? The Predators die out until their numbers are low enough that the Food level can recover. If this doesn't happen and the number of predators keeps increasing ALL the food dies out meaning ALL the predators eventually too. It's a really simple context yet WG's love for BB's means they'd rather see the game die slowly from too many BB's than do anything which reduces BB numbers.

Now there's a lot of  better ways to reduce BB numbers but these all take time (make better cruisers etc) so for now a limit is the easiest & quickest short term solution.

However, remember it's different on each server so while the EU server is BB heavy for the past 6 months, the ASIA server is still Cruiser Heavy (no BB meta -YAY) so 1 "global" fix may not work as a BB limit, for example, is worthless to ASIA despite being helpful to EU.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

I had that yesterday :

17051409561492428.jpg

Pretty much sums everything. Or almost, since we actually had tier X CVs in the game.

We won, cause the Gearing smoked me between B and C and I used that to radar the Shimakaze in early game, he got out with 1k HP, but he couldn't be agressive anymore.

As for me, I died with 80k damage, since I found myself focused while trying to reach a cover, and got sent to the abyss.

Would have loved playing my Hindenburg in this match actually, it's the only tier X CA than can reliably tank BBs in my opinion.

Also the matchmaking for tier 10 yesterday was like "0/1 CV, 20/25 BB, 2/5 CA, 5/10 DD" in the queue... Thanks WG for pampering the same population as the Tiger and E-100 drivers in WoT.

Players
171 posts
4,885 battles

While I agree that cruisers are in trouble, German BB weekend adds extra BB's to the mix, more than usual.

Still, that MM looks awful.

Players
123 posts
8,434 battles

i really like cruisers, mainly because you hit what you aim for. i understand that armor is almost non-existant but i play most cruisers as support ships. help BBs deal with DDs and shoot at enemies while BBs have their attention. Cruisers are not useless, its just the fact that most BBs can one-shot you that discourages most people to use them. 

Players
309 posts
6,030 battles

Cruisers are still very strong, they just require much more brainpower to play effectively.

• Cool 1

Players
3,037 posts
31,516 battles

It would be so easy to fix with  two fixed MM's only for BB's a normal mix with a hard cap at 2 or 3.... The excess BB's in a pure BB match.. This way cue shouldn't be to long and the BB 's can do what they like best snipping each other at max range

Edited by hgbn_dk

Players
481 posts
10,334 battles

At the moment I am probably in the worst scenario possible, grinding a tier 8 Hipper CA against waves of tier 9-10 BBs, game in game out. It is doable but is it fun? Not really and after a while it's nice to drop down and relax in the lower tiers and not have to rubber neck all the time!

Players
123 posts
8,434 battles

The hipper grind is the worst one i've tried, and im still trying to get to roon. cruisers have a very different play-style, you need to keep moving, use the terrain and prioritize your targets. they are something between BBs and DDs, not so fast or stealthy, not so powerful and tanky.  Some things would make life easier for cruisers, like health replenishment in all cruisers from T8 and a perhaps make cruisers a bit more rewarding in higher tiers so more people play them 

• Cool 1

Players
4,483 posts
7,604 battles

I'm curious, what are cruisers actually good at?  What do they do that isn't done as well as or better by BB or DD?

Players
100 posts
8,440 battles

Hipper is probably the one german cruiser i enjoyed the least (i won't count low tiers because you don't spend as much time in them). 8 guns with a (nowadays) fairly slow reload, situational AP (awesome against broadsides, bad against everything else), mediocre HE and bad concealment make the hipper, well... just not good. I won't say she can't perform because she certainly can in the right situations but it often feels like hard work. Roon on the other hand is a much more enjoyable ship, 9 guns, a much quicker reload (with the 3 million reload module) and it also gets heal.

I'd say that i'm currently most confident with my takao and edinburgh when i get into T8-10 games. They have 2 essential traits which make them able to perform quite well in these games: Very good concealment and heal (in Edinburghs case "super heal" and also smoke). Concealment helps getting in and out of fights (especially getting out of bad engagements is a life saver) and a heal makes them much more forgiving to play because you're not getting screwed as much from random citadel as in the other cruisers.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

I'm curious, what are cruisers actually good at?  What do they do that isn't done as well as or better by BB or DD?

Dying to citadels ..... I dont know any other ship class that can die to 2 shells from a same tier ship without the need of a detonation.  

They're pretty good at farming potential damage. Probably the best class.

WHAT?! :amazed: 1,5 million in any T8 BB -> usual. Getting 1,5 million in a T8 cruiser = second comming. :nerv_fish:
Edited by havaduck

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

WHAT?! :amazed: 1,5 million in any T8 BB -> usual. Getting 1,5 million in a T8 cruiser = second comming. :nerv_fish:

You're probably right. Although 1,5million potential damage in a New Orleans doesn't sound extreme.. people tend to focus when you get spotted.

Players
1,373 posts

Giving you a sense of achievement when you come out on top. Other than that, well, currently my favorite cruiser is probably the Tashkent. 

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,893 battles

Evading all enemy BBs fire until your team has eventually won. Shoot...evade enemy salvos for 20 to 25 seconds...shoot again. If you are still alive by minute 15 your team will most probably have won by now. :bajan:
  • Cool 1

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

What are cruisers good at?

With current meta at all tiers.

- You usually don't die when a good CV player is in the red team, thanks to a mix of decent/good AA and manoeuvrability.

- You are far less easy to sink for a DD, again mix of speed, agility and ROF too.

- You can be a real pain for BB.

- A good cruisers player is very hard to sink even for a good BB player -> now think about what tomato BB campers can do....

- You hit what you are aiming at....

- You are not as fragile as a DD (yes even a khebab)

This said:

- A yolo cruiser = dead cruiser (I love using my cruisers to citadel noob cruisers).

- A cruiser who has 0 map awareness = dead cruiser.

- WASD + speed change = a long life

Below tier 6:

- a phoenix, svetlana, omaha can win battles by burning down BB and putting citadels in opposing cruisers.

Tier 6-8:

- I love my pensacola and NO (others prefer Russians)

Tier 8+

- My DM or Hindenburg can wreck a yamato