Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DK63

Radar spotting THROUGH islands

33 comments in this topic

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

Why does radar work through islands? I realise it's only a game but there should be some form of realism, considering how much time WG spend on trying to sort game mechanics and ships? As a predominantly DD player, I try to lead the line, spotting for my team and capping if possible. I accept ships now have radar, and hydro, and can try to stay away. But if a ship pops radar, and I go behind an island, I should disappear again. This needs to be fixed. BBaby crying has removed stealth firing, a BB can delete me with a salvo, and CA's like the Atlanta/Belfast, etc can melt me in 30 secs! This needs sorting or no one will play DD's and it will become a sniping game for BB's.

Beta Tester, Players
495 posts
5,291 battles

i think partly its a gme engine restraint, as technically the islands are not really there, they are just hit boxes. in the same way the water is just a plane that the ships just kind of exist on.

Players
341 posts
6,911 battles

It's more an immersion thing for me than anything else. Also maybe some kind of radar countermeasure could be introduced, like chaff, active just long enough for you to GTFO once spotted. Radar could be active for longer to compensate.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,720 posts
12,001 battles

i think partly its a gme engine restraint, as technically the islands are not really there, they are just hit boxes. in the same way the water is just a plane that the ships just kind of exist on.

That's not an argument, LOS checks are present in spotting mechanics, no reason not to include them in radar/hydro spotting as well.
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

I was against the ability to radar through islands while playing dds. Now, playing cruisers a lot more, I don't mind it. It's not an engine flaw, it's a design decision, which I'm okay with. It could be improved, but so could smoke and the whole visible - invisible mechanic. 

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

Radar is in game more than year. Dd are still played.

Yes, they are. Fewer and less effectively. Don't know about other players but I no longer try to cover my team if I know a CA has radar running nearby. I suspect others do the same. Just makes the game yet more about individual play. Again.

[THROW]
Players
234 posts
12,757 battles

Doesnt bother me at all, I like what it adds to the game and that I need to think more about what I am doing. Just have to adjust your playstyle to account for it

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Yes, they are. Fewer and less effectively.

That's weird. If that is the case then why are we getting threads like these two or three times a week?

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/79511-dd-need-a-nerf/

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/79109-the-amount-of-destroyers-in-each-batlle/

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/79766-this-is-insane

Players
1,285 posts
7,092 battles

Radar should be implemented differently I think. Skip the looking-through-islands, limit its use during hurricanes and maybe add an update rate to it, like showing the target every few seconds. Not the magical livestream it is now.

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Yes OP. Btw, when you play the game do you think, in real life, the Captain had a nice third person view of his ship on the battlefield?

Learn to play and how the game works and stop trying to change it to fit your style. If WG removed radar's ability to see through islands then good players would just smash you with surprise tactics.

Learn to play then complain. Out of all the problems this game has you choose one of the silliest things to complain about........wow.

• Cool 1

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

First link; it was a tongue in cheek thread designed to catch the unwary!

Second link; it was their view. I play as many games where I'm the only DD on my side, or in the game, as I do where there are 4 or more on each side. It's a MM issue.

Third link; again, an MM issue.

Most complaints about too many DD's are from BBabies that think it's fine to sail broadside on across the map and never use ASD and then wonder why they eat half a dozen torps! My complaint is about the game mechanics of radar.  I have no problem with it's use in open water or a hurricane, but it should not work through an island.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,094 battles

yea radar shouldn't work through a island but if wg make it so it don't work through islands they will have to make it so its perma on all the time same as it is in real life

most stupid thing wg did was making radar a consumable same as the sonar as these things are in use all the time on ships

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

I have no problem with it's use in open water or a hurricane, but it should not work through an island.

It's a bit odd, I agree, but given how cruisers have to played at the moment, they need island protection if they're close enough to use radar. You must have noticed cruisers being a bit vulnerable within 10-12 km when playing Pensacola and New Orleans.

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

Yes OP. Btw, when you play the game do you think, in real life, the Captain had a nice third person view of his ship on the battlefield?

Learn to play and how the game works and stop trying to change it to fit your style. If WG removed radar's ability to see through islands then good players would just smash you with surprise tactics.

Learn to play then complain. Out of all the problems this game has you choose one of the silliest things to complain about........wow.

I know how the game works, and how to play. And good players do smash you with surprise tactics. (I don't like how you're auto spotted when you get to close, even through islands, but that's another thread.) Just because you don't agree, doesn't make my post any less valid.

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

It's a bit odd, I agree, but given how cruisers have to played at the moment, they need island protection if they're close enough to use radar. You must have noticed cruisers being a bit vulnerable within 10-12 km when playing Pensacola and New Orleans.

Vulnerable? The Pensacola defines the word vulnerable! I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Great guns, but pen'd by everything. I have the NO but rarely play it, I still prefer DD's.

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

Vulnerable? The Pensacola defines the word vulnerable! I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Great guns, but pen'd by everything. I have the NO but rarely play it, I still prefer DD's.

NO radar wouldn't be worth much if it only was effective in the open. 9km range.. if you're spotted in the open, you usually have to move away and dodge incoming fire. Perma radar could be useful, but I think I like the ability to ambush in cruisers too, as well as in dds. You just need to be more aware than before when playing dds.

[SAD-]
Beta Tester, Players
751 posts
10,686 battles

Why does radar work through islands? I realise it's only a game but there should be some form of realism, considering how much time WG spend on trying to sort game mechanics and ships? As a predominantly DD player, I try to lead the line, spotting for my team and capping if possible. I accept ships now have radar, and hydro, and can try to stay away. But if a ship pops radar, and I go behind an island, I should disappear again. This needs to be fixed. BBaby crying has removed stealth firing, a BB can delete me with a salvo, and CA's like the Atlanta/Belfast, etc can melt me in 30 secs! This needs sorting or no one will play DD's and it will become a sniping game for BB's.

" I should disappear again" is removed then you can have your radar nerf ! Never during this period was Radar capable of going through islands... but then again the game should not have futuristic stealth technology! where ships in sight just stealth away before your very eyes. If you want radar nerfed.. I say we remove the " I should disappear again" BS as well

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

I know how the game works, and how to play. And good players do smash you with surprise tactics. (I don't like how you're auto spotted when you get to close, even through islands, but that's another thread.) Just because you don't agree, doesn't make my post any less valid.

No, you don't. I reviewed your statistics. You seem to have grasped the concept of how to play a dd and dd only explaining why you don't like the radar as it is. This fits into all the other threads. People that play only CV's think that AA is broken. People that play only cruisers think BB's are too strong. People that play BB think that cruisers start too many fires. So yea OP your complaint gets stored in the horse manure pile.

Edit: you barely grasp the concept of DD gameplay, your avg damage is just horrible in DD's. (I mean wow, really bad man and yet you dare say you know how to play. It is appaling)

Edited by waxx25

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Most complaints about too many DD's are from BBabies that think it's fine to sail broadside on across the map and never use ASD and then wonder why they eat half a dozen torps! My complaint is about the game mechanics of radar.  I have no problem with it's use in open water or a hurricane, but it should not work through an island.

Plenty DD captains adapted to radar in the game. Just like many BB captains adapted to stealth torpedo attacks. If you can't adapt then you are similar to those BBabies you talk about.

Spotting is abstract in the game. Line of sight doesn't matter if you are close enough, when you use hydro accustics, or with radar. Two of those have been in the game for far longer then radar. Their short range is the only difference to radar but they compensate it with a much longer, or even infinite, duration.

You have a complaint about the spotting mechanisms as such. Don't single out radar just because it has a longer range.

Did I get sunk by radar carrying ships while driving my stealthy DD? You bet I did. But if that wasn't possible then radar would be the most useless consumable available. Yet most of the times I manage to escape beyond radar range or stay alive long enough for it to become incactive again. I usually try to get help from my BBs then, to take down the evil radar, or I'll look for a better hunting ground. If radar didn't work through islands then DDs would have way to many options to evade it completly. On almost every map except ocean.

Players
2,774 posts
17,292 battles

I recently had a funny game in my Z-46 on Haven.

• Sail into cap.
  • Several hidden enemy cruisers camped behind islands start pushing buttons.
  • 3-4 hidden enemy KM BBs camped behind islands control click me.
  • HP starts dropping like mad from BB HE spam.
  • Run like girl.

Rinse, repeat until the game ends.

I was usually the only ship spotted on both sides (as a DD!) and I don't think anyone actually did much damage to me with main guns. Oh, T8+ games you so silly. :P

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

" I should disappear again" is removed then you can have your radar nerf ! Never during this period was Radar capable of going through islands... but then again the game should not have futuristic stealth technology! where ships in sight just stealth away before your very eyes. If you want radar nerfed.. I say we remove the " I should disappear again" BS as well

I don't consider it a radar nerf, but otherwise I agree completely. Ships should not just 'vanish' from plain sight. It really annoyed me in Tanks when you could see a tree being pushed over but not the tank doing it!

[HAVOC]
Players
53 posts
7,879 battles

No, you don't. I reviewed your statistics. You seem to have grasped the concept of how to play a dd and dd only explaining why you don't like the radar as it is. This fits into all the other threads. People that play only CV's think that AA is broken. People that play only cruisers think BB's are too strong. People that play BB think that cruisers start too many fires. So yea OP your complaint gets stored in the horse manure pile.

Edit: you barely grasp the concept of DD gameplay, your avg damage is just horrible in DD's. (I mean wow, really bad man and yet you dare say you know how to play. It is appaling)

Statistics are meaningless in WoWs. You get no credit from spotting, or smoking over a team mate, which I do a lot. Damage, capping and decapping are all that matter. I know how to play all the other classes, I choose to do so only to understand their limitations. I play a Bismark for instance, so when I meet one on the other side, I (hopefully) know how to not die! However, this thread is about radar, not my stats.

Sign in to follow this