You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Premium Ships - T2-4 players with T7-8 Premium ships - does WG still think this is bad?

25 comments in this topic

[IAN_H]
Players
1,966 posts
6,657 battles

Hi all, I just played a T7-8 game where 3 of the team seemed to be under-performing significantly in their premium ships (Tirpitz's & Saipan). I checked their stats and found that all were T3-4 players with <600 WTR's and T7-8 Premium ships which begs the question, does WG still see low tier players jumping into much higher tiers as a problem like they said they did with the ARP Atago clone when it was T9 players only for a T8 ship?

I've no issue with players buying the ships but I would think a restricted MM would be ideal to ensure that those who have bought the ship have a basic understanding of the game at that level before being able to play it i.e. You must own a "silver" ship in the tier directly below the Premium ship you've bough to be able to play in PvP so for example owning a T6 to play a Premium T7 or a T7 to play a premium T8 etc.

For those who want to jump from T3 to T8 without working up the Tier system there's always Co-Op to practice in which, as a co-op player, I don't mind that much as there is more XP for me to farm.

I know when I first started playing I did exactly the same with the Kutuzov and I wish I'd been stopped from playing PvP until I was ready as I was bloody awful in it and it actually put me off the game for a bit. Eventually I found the T6 Molotov when I was an experienced T5 Kirov player and I did 1000% better as I knew the game better by then.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a little salty for the weekend madness which has just started so Good Luck and Have Fun :D

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

WG couldn't care less what you think, nor what those players get up to.

They've paid their price of entry and that's all WG are concerned with.

Although on the other hand that means you mercilessly farm them for all they're worth when they're the enemy.

• Cool 6

[CATS]
Players
26,741 posts
14,367 battles

Why do you think that?

They never thought it that way. Otherwise you could not buy Tirpitz with 0 games on your account.

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Was team killed by a Tirpitz player the other day, was in my Maass and pushing a cap. Had just killed the Shiratsuyu that was contesting the cap with me, smoked up, avoided his torps and started to cap when BOOM. Hit from behind by a torpedo from a Tirpitz firing widespread at enemies 12km away. No apology, nothing. He had less than 100 battles and no ship higher than tier 4 (apart from his Tirpitz).

In an ideal world a player like that wouldn't be allowed to buy a Tier 8 until he had more experience. Your suggestion was good, but I would say that you need a ship at the same tier as the premium you wish to buy. But that means less money for WG, so good luck getting that reform passed.

Edited by rvfharrier

[IAN_H]
Players
1,966 posts
6,657 battles

I still think you should be able to buy a Premium with 0 battles, you just couldn't use it in Random/Ranked until you had another ship in the tier below it, unless you play Co-Op where there is no restriction. So PvP gets "experienced" captains in Premiums and those who just want a Tirpitz on day 1 can blast away in Co-Op.

I found the quote from MrConway regarding the ARP Takao issue which seemed to be WG'EU's answer at the time -

MrConway:

I know that there are quite a few complaints coming in about the difference in requirements for this mission, but really I think that our solution was the correct way to go here.

Since the Takao is essentially an Atago, a very capable and fun tier VIII ship I think it is fair enough of us to make sure that the players getting the ship will know how to handle it. If you can earn a tier VIII ship just by playing tier VI ships then there is a danger of many Takaos popping up at tier VIII with captains who don't know how to handle them or the different meta. That wouldn't be fun for the players themselves, or the people on their team.

Which is at odd's with their current "open door" policy regarding Premiums, but like I said, I'm just a little salty right now :D

[NWP]
Players
2,717 posts
16,647 battles

Wait till they introduce two more premium CVs, the game will be so much better with people jumping in those without any knowledge of strafing and manual attack...

Players
3,037 posts
31,516 battles

we already have premium CV's in game

Don't think it will change much... since people already can access them

Edited by hgbn_dk

[NWP]
Players
2,717 posts
16,647 battles

we already have premium CV's in game

Correction we have one premium CV. But adding MORE will give MORE people those tools of fail.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Thing is, you've got no more right to play than a potato who just spent £100 on a silly Ultimate T8 ship package.

Random Battles is a dirty melting pot that has to be shared by everyone.

• Cool 6

[NWP]
Players
2,717 posts
16,647 battles

Thing is, you've got no more right to play than a potato who just spent £100 on a silly Ultimate T8 ship package.

Sadly true, and that's why for now this game doens't get any more of my money. Till they actually do what they promise (aka, fix CVs before adding more CVs).

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Do you think even just casual backyard football hobbyers would find it acceptable to have player just kicking ball to own goal or sit in corner of the field?

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,352 posts
9,596 battles

Play tier 8. Perform like tier 5 be a burden to your team and nobody bats an eye. Do the same in a tier 8 premium and everybody loses their minds.

• Cool 3

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,664 battles

I'm planning to buy a Scharnhorst for the US server so I can go troll them.

edit: even better, I could buy an Enterprise.

Edited by dasCKD

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Do you think even just casual backyard football hobbyers would find it acceptable to have player just kicking ball to own goal or sit in corner of the field?

No but they don't share a common arena whereas as the players here do...

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

I feel your pain, however, I still think that this is actually a symptom, and not the illness itself. The problem is that there isn't any incentive or pressure to learn to play. The game is out since, I don't even know, two years, and we still don't have any in-depth, in-game tutorials.Not the wiki, not 40 hours of random youtube videos - in-game. Currently WG's take on the issue is that they took away AP and T2 from the T1 ships, and here ya' go!

What could help is some kind of "Hey there, thank you for downloading our game! We see that so far you have zero battles in World of Warships, so for the next two hours we will lend you a T8 crusier on a training map and together, we will learn the basics of maneuvering, angling, penetration types, ammo and torpedo usage, smoke, spotters, AA mechanics, the preferred usage of the consumables and much more! After you are done, you are free to begin your journey in the World of Warships, and when you reach your first carrier, we will meet again for another training session! Good luck!"

• Cool 1

[BBMMX]
Beta Tester
164 posts
4,585 battles

The game is out since, I don't even know, two years, and we still don't have any in-depth, in-game tutorials.

Agreed, and not just about how to sail.. but actual in-depth analysis of game mechanics.. penetration angles and penetration values, acceleration/de-acceleration & speed loss during turns, the HE penetration mechanics etc. After 2 years you'd think we would have a little more info than just some random "AP type 2 1940" crap somewhere. How else is WG going to expand their player base is beyond me.. (of course there's also milking us, the current player base :P)

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,500 battles

About the title, they never thought it was bad?

Beta Tester
467 posts
13,407 battles

Be happy, they make prem ships more OP each time, so soon even the worst player can be top performer on team as long as he is in a prem ship:)

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Wargaming does not care about players individual skill levels and never has.

In there opinion there is nothing wrong with it, they even say Random battles are just that, Random.

Also, with the russian playerbase being the one WG focuses on and they have even stated that the average russian guy who gets home late from work and wants to get in one game after putting the kids to bed is one of their primary targets.

WG is not interested in putting anything behind a skill cap (except clan rewards). 

Players
261 posts

Fun fact, there are players out there who got 1000+ battles under their belt and still perform terribly and there are new players with only 1-200 games who bought a T VIII premium who perform quite well.

Look at T X, how many "potatoes" do you find there? Quite a lot last time I checked, you can´t buy a T X, you have to at least grind something and it still does not help and is also no benchmark for player performance.

So how do you weed out the bad ones? Even after 1-2000 games? Who gets to say what people are allowed to buy, or play? There are other players who play religiously, are super unicum level and haven´t spent a single dime on the game, what do you think would happen if everyone behaved like that? The game would have bitten the dust months ago.

People should get off their high horses and look at the situation rationally. Live and let live.  

Edited by warsinger2
  • Cool 2

Players
1,373 posts

Look at T X, how many "potatoes" do you find there? Quite a lot last time I checked, you can´t buy a T X, you have to at least grind something and it still does not help and is also no benchmark for player performance.

Buy a Tirpitz, get a bot, wait. Buy doubloons to convert XP, buy tier 10 of choice - potato away. Tirpitz probably the best choice, since XP for getting shot at maximized. 

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Game desperately needs educational tutorials and I kinda like the idea of requiring new players in high tier premiums to do them. Just market it as an added benefit, not an restriction.

***NEW*** Comes with tutorial missions to prepare you for the fun and engaging sitting in smokes behind an island at high tiers ***NEW***Limited Offer - buy this weekend and get additional memorial flag featuring the troll salute on a background of fried potatoes - get them while they're hot***  

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

Fun fact, there are players out there who got 1000+ battles under their belt and still perform terribly and there are new players with only 1-200 games who bought a T VIII premium who perform quite well.

So how do you weed out the bad ones? Even after 1-2000 games? Who gets to say what people are allowed to buy, or play? There are other players who play religiously, are super unicum level and haven´t spent a single dime on the game, what do you think would happen if everyone behaved like that? The game would have bitten the dust months ago.

People should get off their high horses and look at the situation rationally. Live and let live.  

Is anyone suggesting hiding premiums behind a skill-wall? There's no high horse that needs mounting to hold the opinion that brand new players with less than 100 battles under their belt shouldn't be able to buy their way into high tier games for which they're woefully under-prepared. Locking off premiums until you've researched a ship of equal tier isn't discriminatory or elitist. It won't do anything about bad players in high tier battles, no, but that's not the problem the OP raised.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,051 posts
10,741 battles

The people you need to consider in that metaphor are the people who sell footballs and playing kit.  They don't care how good you are at the game if they can sell you the stuff. They are the equivalent of WG here.
  • Cool 2