Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
julmatar

Have fun if you wanna start cv now :=)

29 comments in this topic

[TAITO]
Players
228 posts
6,325 battles

i really mean it... newcomers should be able to learn Manual attacks but hey let's remove them from the low tiers. so basicly after you finally reach tier that you "should" use manual attack and you cant even practice it on low tier at same time old cv player had that practice option so after you finally reach tier u probally will lose most battles only cause you dont have knowlegde of manual attack.

imo that nerf is unnesecary cause new cv players should have change practice things that they will need later... atm i see it's even more hard to get more cv players since there is nothing to do with your skill atm on low tiers. you can only click attack :D so basicly player who have more fighters will win fighter duel also more planes of squad make easyer to hit target since you cant anymore manual attack. i think Wg should innovate new players not make it even harder for them.

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,352 posts
9,596 battles

Most newcomers wouldn't learn anything till they reach tier 8-9 anyway so no need to worry. Besides low tier AA is garbage so removing alt attacks at those tiers seems kinda fair. Besides how long can it take to practice few alt drops anyway.

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

i think Wg should innovate new players not make it even harder for them.

You mean like changing it so that their AA-less battleships, cruisers and destroyers aren't seal clubbed by experienced carrier players in their Hoshos and Zuihos? :p

WG clearly agreed.

[TAITO]
Players
228 posts
6,325 battles

Most newcomers wouldn't learn anything till they reach tier 8-9 anyway so no need to worry. Besides low tier AA is garbage so removing alt attacks at those tiers seems kinda fair. Besides how long can it take to practice few alt drops anyway.

Well that's sound fair yea.

But down side is you cant try snipe dd from smoke who sit still.

also imo they should have manual fighter attack or strafe. it doesn't affect other players just cvs.

You mean like changing it so that their AA-less battleships, cruisers and destroyers aren't seal clubbed by experienced carrier players in their Hoshos and Zuihos? :p

WG clearly agreed.

LOL

Edited by julmatar

[K_N_M]
Players
294 posts
5,673 battles

Would have been better to lower hp of planes at lower tiers or uniformly buff tier 3-5 AA rather than what they did. It's just impossible to hit a good dd with autodrops now.

Edited by BruceForce

[-TAP-]
Players
118 posts
10,947 battles

I have play CV a lots and only used auto drops and able to unlock up to tier 9s. Then I've gone back to tier 4 and 5 to learn, how to manual drops and strafe, and WG taken that away.  So low tier CV is for stat padding only now days.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,905 posts
19,732 battles

The amount of stupidity in this sentence is mind-boggling.

Yes, T4/5 CVs were too strong. That's not up for debate, but it's not like there were plenty of alternatives available without shafting low-tier CV players in the worst way possible. 

And nerfing one class in a way so that it can't seal club but strengthens seal clubbing in literally every other class is hypocritical to say the least.

Once again WG chose to ignore player feedback to predictable consequences.

The skill-gap between the median and the top carrier players have increased.

(from the "info from RU" thread)

Quite frankly, anyone who supports this change should seriously question their intelligence.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

There's a difference between some newcomers not learning something and making it literally impossible to learn something early on by removing it.

And CVs shouldn't start at tier IV anyway. Tier V at the earliest (where most ships come with some A that can actually shoot down aircraft if they spend too long in the AA aura and by extension they can see tier VI cruisers with defensive AA). If WG had wanted to curb low-tier CV sealclubbing they should've simply removed the tier IV CVs and/or reduce the damage (foremost the torpedo bombers which can oneshot everything that isn't a BB at that tier bracket!) rather than removing the single most important skillset for CVs to learn.

Whatever WG intended to do with that change, it's not a solution for dealing with sealclubbing low-tier CVs or making for an easier learning process for newcomers. The reasoning it would is downright stupid and the way they went about it (if what they said was the intended goal at all ...) is likewise stupid and borderline counterproductive.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts

Would have been better to lower hp of planes at lower tiers or uniformly buff tier 3-5 AA rather than what they did. It's just impossible to hit a good dd with autodrops now.

There probably wasnt a single DD hit by an air dropped torp in WWII so isnt this as it should be?  (I havent verified this statement, just a guess.)

Players
1,284 posts
7,092 battles

Maybe not. But this game isn't about historical correctness.

I've started playing CVs a while ago. If top tier in the Bogue for example I had fun games, and even with autodrops could get decent amounts of torp hits. But when bottom tier, and an enemy in tier 6 CV who knows what he's doing, no fun at all.

I started playing the Independence in co-op too, to practice manual drops and strafing. So far I didn't get the hang of it in co-op, so no random battles in tier 6 and up for me at the moment.

[SKIDZ]
Players
959 posts

Took me about 30 mins to teach my 10 year old son how to manually drop in the training room god forbid any new tier 6 carrier players do the same

Players
1,284 posts
7,092 battles

Took me about 30 mins to teach my 10 year old son how to manually drop in the training room god forbid any new tier 6 carrier players do the same

Well, not everybody can pick up stuff very quickly. I for one am struggling with timing, especially with strafing and bomb drops.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Well, not everybody can pick up stuff very quickly. I for one am struggling with timing, especially with strafing and bomb drops.

You just have to catch the target and from which direction you hit them is largely irrelevant unless you can get that sweet strafe from behind. Getting them perpendicular still gives very nice results and even a head-on strafe can yield neat results with a bit of RNG luck (particularily helpful softening up incoming fighters before tagging them).

The most annoying part is giving the order too close to your squadron and they turn around to get into strafing position again ...

Bomb drops just comes with experience. I was absolutely shyte hitting cruisers with divebombers at the start. Now I can easily hit those and I'm starting to get a good hang on DDs (at least if they're not bucking like a bronco). I'd actually advise to learn that on Randoms rather than CoOp. CoOp bots aren't really that strong on evading and their rushing nature makes for easier targets to begin with, but you have to get a feel on how ships evade to get the drops right (and the drop distance for torpedo bombers, so torps won't harmlessly dink unarmed on the target's hull after they turning in towards your drop).

Players
2,577 posts
11,389 battles

There probably wasnt a single DD hit by an air dropped torp in WWII so isnt this as it should be?  (I havent verified this statement, just a guess.)

USS Hovey

USS Beatty

USS Jarvis

USS Lansdale

USS Meredith

USS Strong

USS Twiggs

USS Holder

Well  this are just the list of USN DDs that got hit by aerial torpedoes . Not good to make such a broad assumption without verifying :P

Players
2,577 posts
11,389 battles

Please tell me that USS Beatty detonated :trollface:

It broke in 2 and sank?

Players
2,385 posts
15,466 battles

But, but, but there is no reason to give Uncle Google silent treatment...

Just few american destroyers for starters: USS Jarvis, USS Strong, USS Twiggs.

[DREAD]
Players
9,705 posts
6,864 battles

There's a difference between some newcomers not learning something and making it literally impossible to learn something early on by removing it.

And CVs shouldn't start at tier IV anyway. Tier V at the earliest (where most ships come with some A that can actually shoot down aircraft if they spend too long in the AA aura and by extension they can see tier VI cruisers with defensive AA). If WG had wanted to curb low-tier CV sealclubbing they should've simply removed the tier IV CVs and/or reduce the damage (foremost the torpedo bombers which can oneshot everything that isn't a BB at that tier bracket!) rather than removing the single most important skillset for CVs to learn.

Whatever WG intended to do with that change, it's not a solution for dealing with sealclubbing low-tier CVs or making for an easier learning process for newcomers. The reasoning it would is downright stupid and the way they went about it (if what they said was the intended goal at all ...) is likewise stupid and borderline counterproductive.

Some thoughts:

1) +1 that carriers should start at T5 or T6 

2) removed ALT attacks in T4 & 5 is indeed useful. I try to get into CVs but I am horrible bad. Getting into situational overview, general tactics and so on is easier if you don't get slaughtered by strafing unicum seal clubbers who play T5 all day long. Removing manual drops helps against seal clubbers and can be learned on T6 when you start understanding the rest you need to watch out for. Not saying it is a perfect solution but from a CV beginner's perspective it indeed helps. By the way I Started my CV journey before this change but it wasn't fun at all.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,078 posts
11,116 battles

Some thoughts:

1) +1 that carriers should start at T5 or T6 

2) removed ALT attacks in T4 & 5 is indeed useful. I try to get into CVs but I am horrible bad. Getting into situational overview, general tactics and so on is easier if you don't get slaughtered by strafing unicum seal clubbers who play T5 all day long. Removing manual drops helps against seal clubbers and can be learned on T6 when you start understanding the rest you need to watch out for. Not saying it is a perfect solution but from a CV beginner's perspective it indeed helps. By the way I Started my CV journey before this change but it wasn't fun at all.

So now instead of learning in a controlled environment without too much AA and consumables, you have to learn out to use it while meeting AA monsters present from tier6 to 8, with a lot more DFAA and fighter plane consumables, while controlling more squads and being expected to at the very least match the enemy CV.

So instead of doing the logical thing and tweaking plane/AA interaction at tier3 and 4, you make new CV players learn CRUCIAL skillsets admist the worst MM bracket in the game.

404 logic not found.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,905 posts
19,732 battles

On the contrary more destroyers have been sunk by aircraft than cruisers, BBs and CVs combined.

Probably by virtue of being more common than cruisers, BBs and CVs combined.

[DREAD]
Players
9,705 posts
6,864 battles

So now instead of learning in a controlled environment without too much AA and consumables, you have to learn out to use it while meeting AA monsters present from tier6 to 8, with a lot more DFAA and fighter plane consumables, while controlling more squads and being expected to at the very least match the enemy CV.

So instead of doing the logical thing and tweaking plane/AA interaction at tier3 and 4, you make new CV players learn CRUCIAL skillsets admist the worst MM bracket in the game.

404 logic not found.

Monsieur. Yep because if you start at the very beginning you have to learn a lot more than manual drops and strafing. You need to find your way through playing the carrier - a lot more basic. Manual attacks are just a refinement of what you need to do on T4/5 anyway. If your squadrons are constantly blown out of the sky by a strafing pro you can't  even get through then basics. So yes, at T4/5 you get used to the interface, control, overview and such and at T6 you have another harsh lesson when ppl start strafing and you need to man drop. As said - not perfect but better than before. 

If you are a CV pro already it is probably hard to see why.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,905 posts
19,732 battles

As said - not perfect but better than before. 

Except when you actually start thinking about it.

Problem 1: The notion gets instilled that AS is a viable setup due to AS Bogue now absolutely dominating the skies.

Problem 2: Like before, no one actually knows that alt attacks exist, except now people don't even find out about it accidentally because it is actively disabled, leading to even less people using it.

Problem 3: Seal clubbing in other ships becomes strengthened, which is ludicrously stupid because the aim of this change was to lessen seal clubbing.

Problem 4: Seal clubbing in CVs just gets bumped from T4/5 to T6.

Problem 5: Loss of a less punishing practice environment for new players.

And no, manual attacks are NOT just refinement. They're CRUCIAL skills to have, because auto drop is so worthless it may as well not exist.

So overall this change does not benefit anyone but, ironically, the skilled CV players who are already dominating due to the already abysmal average skill dropping even further.

[DREAD]
Players
9,705 posts
6,864 battles

Well, you are a very experienced player so you have of course a different perspective.

Seal clubbing of other classes is a separate topic though. While it might be more obvious once CV seal clubbing decreases it probably requires a different solution.

The removal If manual attacks is still a lazy "solution". I would have preferred to move the T4 carriers into a totally separate training mode and start the actual carriers at T5 with all capabilities.

[TAITO]
Players
228 posts
6,325 battles

Except when you actually start thinking about it.

Problem 1: The notion gets instilled that AS is a viable setup due to AS Bogue now absolutely dominating the skies.

Problem 2: Like before, no one actually knows that alt attacks exist, except now people don't even find out about it accidentally because it is actively disabled, leading to even less people using it.

Problem 3: Seal clubbing in other ships becomes strengthened, which is ludicrously stupid because the aim of this change was to lessen seal clubbing.

Problem 4: Seal clubbing in CVs just gets bumped from T4/5 to T6.

Problem 5: Loss of a less punishing practice environment for new players.

And no, manual attacks are NOT just refinement. They're CRUCIAL skills to have, because auto drop is so worthless it may as well not exist.

So overall this change does not benefit anyone but, ironically, the skilled CV players who are already dominating due to the already abysmal average skill dropping even further.

1. totally agree i just wanted test how bad it is nowadays but not that i got 7fighter and enemy got 4-6 usyally so basicly i cant lose the fighter duel but back then if 4plane sfrafes my planes i might lose.

2. y example i found ALT attack with accident and after that i start really get practice that you need cv.

and yes you should use (only) Manual attacks if you want give your best. auto drops is mostly very useless. except saipan bombs with basicly have same size dropping area eather manual or auto drop which is stupid.

Sign in to follow this