Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sukasaa

US Battleships Commander skills.

15 comments in this topic

[COMFY]
Players
125 posts
7,250 battles

Can someone advise me a good Captain skill set for U.S Battleships? =)

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

Can someone advise me a good Captain skill set for U.S Battleships? =)

There is no one Ultimate Build for all ships, but maximizing steath and AA is good way to go

• Cool 1

Players
503 posts
1,954 battles

Flamu is a good bet for most builds. He usually only cover T9 and T10 but that's what most people are aiming for anyway and they for the most part work for all ships in the grind (exceptions for RU CAs because of the dfference of Moskva, and some ships that work best with dedicated builds like Cleveland). The builds are at the end of all his vids.

Here is his Alabama build, this works well for the entirety of the US BB line and all prems:

Edited by CleverViking

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

EM is a solid BB skill SI for every ship, regardless of class

I've actually dropped Expert Marksman for Adrenaline Rush on all my BBs except for the Warspite (and plan on putting it on the Yamato). Never looked back and never wished I'd had it over AR.

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

I've actually dropped Expert Marksman for Adrenaline Rush on all my BBs except for the Warspite (and plan on putting it on the Yamato). Never looked back and never wished I'd had it over AR.

I have both on my 'spite. If the rumoured traverse buff goes live I'll probably drop em.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,979 posts
7,359 battles

A good build for US battleships :

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100001000100000119

Though you can drop AFT or FP for CE. Especially on Iowa and Montana, dropping FP is worth getting CE instead. The concealment drops lower than many cruisers.

[NED]
Players
2,059 posts
7,998 battles

American BB's potentially are incredibly stealthy with the skill and the equipment so absolutely use that.

The AA is also very strong and investing in extending their range will save your life many times.

The joy of creeping up to a unsuspecting cruiser and firing at them from 13 kilometers or less will be immense also swatting down squadrons of planes is also hilarious.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

I'm aiming for Colorado, is there any merit in a partial secondary build (BFT, AFT, secondary mod) to help counter secondary-specced BBs like Gneis/Bis etc.? I don't like to snipe with US BBs, I close to mid range but of course that increases vulnerability to things that brawl and are much faster. My build would be:

PM

EM, AR, JoAT, HA

BFT, BoS

AFT

Aux Mod

Secondary mod

Damage Control mod

Steering mod

I don't believe in CE for the dreadnoughts, it defeats the purpose of a tanky BB with superior repair and damage control. And anyway, if there's even a single plane squadron spotting you, it's a total waste. Plus you don't have the speed to dictate the range of the engagement, if the enemy closes in you lose the benefits.

Edited by MoveZig

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

No there's not, especially not on the Colorado. BFT and AFT can be useful to buff your AA if that's the route you want to take, but don't waste your time trying to make a secondary build. The only ship I'd even consider one on would be the Montana, due to the fast reload, and even then it would only be out of curiosity rather than on merit.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

No there's not, especially not on the Colorado. BFT and AFT can be useful to buff your AA if that's the route you want to take, but don't waste your time trying to make a secondary build. The only ship I'd even consider one on would be the Montana, due to the fast reload, and even then it would only be out of curiosity rather than on merit.

Well the only difference from an AA build (barring MFCAA, which is kinda dubious on Colo) would be the second mod, being either AA or secondary. I guess I'll play it and decide based on how often I get run down by Bismarcks and focused by CVs.
Edited by MoveZig

Weekend Tester
805 posts
4,465 battles

If you did want an AA build, MFCAA is the skill you most want. You'll need to accept that your AA simply isn't very good on the Colorado, but from the NC onward its long range AA becomes brilliant. Personally I'd recommend a stealth/survivability build on US BBs. Their secondaries simply aren't good enough and, unlike the German BBs, showing broadside in order to get your secondaries to fire is suicide.

You're better off taking the AA Guns Mod 2 to get your short range AA, which has all of the DPS, to fire just that little bit further out. Secondaries, especially in the Colorado, is just asking for trouble though. Brawl, by all means, but you don't want to be showing broadside when you do.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

If you did want an AA build, MFCAA is the skill you most want. You'll need to accept that your AA simply isn't very good on the Colorado

It looks great for self-defense, at least the mid-and short range. Which is why I'd go with AFT over MFCAA. The ''long-range'' (at 4.2km) AA is barely over half the DPS of a Bayern's, which is why I scoff at MFCAA on Colo.

You're better off taking the AA Guns Mod 2 to get your short range AA, which has all of the DPS, to fire just that little bit further out. Secondaries, especially in the Colorado, is just asking for trouble though. Brawl, by all means, but you don't want to be showing broadside when you do.

Not that I would be broadsiding if I could help it but from what I understand (and am seeing on New Mexico), t6 and t7 have that all-or-nothing-armor scheme with thick main belt and deck armor, but no armor elsewhere, as well as German-like citadel height, which is great. So you die a death by a thousand cuts rather than getting spectacularly citted like a Nagato would. At least, if I were brawling against a Colo, I'd aim for that big upper plate that has 25mm, or the fore or end armor. Just not the thick main belt which is unlikely to result in a cit anyway because it's almost below the waterline.

Edited by MoveZig

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Got to love threads like this. It just proves how much better the new skill tree is (with a few exceptiongs, RPF I am looking at you) compared to the last one.

It actually makes you think a bit now, sure there still a re a few no brainers, but at least there is more variety in what you do.

Sign in to follow this