You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SFCGunny313

Tier 8 Competitive Battles - Ships to Use

8 comments in this topic

[AWG]
Beta Tester
645 posts
12,043 battles

So, having a bit of a debate, and I want to get some additional opinions here.

For a tier 8 competitive team, and assuming a 9v9 battle, we are using the following:

CV - Shokaku

BB - North Carolina x 2, Amagi x 1 (or NC x 3)

DD - Benson x 2

CA/CL - Kutuzov x 2 + Chapayev x 1 (or, Kutuzov x 2 + Atago x 1)

Based on previous competitive tournaments, streams, Twitch replays, Youtube videos, etc, this seems to be the most commonly used setup.

I've had members question why we don't use the New Orleans or the Bismarck...giving them statistics and pointing out the meta doesn't seem to win the debate...

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

No is ussles

But on other heand on some map Bismarck is good ship. Where is alot of closer combat.

I would say it has more use than Amagi that is strictly flanker

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

How's Bismarck looking in competitive meta?

I'd think the solid AA, hydro and secondaries would make for a decent pick for aggressive setups.

[RAIN]
Players
2,998 posts
20,883 battles

Every T8 BB belong in the competitive meta. 

The CA are dominated by the so OP Kutuzov. When you need a radar, Chapa is very useful. New Orleans or Edinburgh on smallest maps can work as radar ships too. Atago can be a smart pick for an aggressive strategy. 

Regarding the DD, Benson is the king because of the defensive AA and the super smoke. Lo Yang can be a smart pick too. If you need an extra AA ship, Akizuki is a strong pick on maps with a island on the middle for providing a no fly zone. Both russian DD can be picked too. We use Kiev sometime as a T8 Kaba, her speed is very useful in case of bad spawns for instance. Ognevoi is a strong ship with 10 km torps by the way. 

And of course, Shokaku rule the sky. 

Edited by thisheep

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Tirpitz is also quite good with the extra Gearings strapped to the sides.

I don't know why you wouldn't take her or her sister though.

As for the new Orleans, she has nothing going for her. Outclassed in almost everything. She only has long lasting radar. But with limited range, especially when pitted against the chapa.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

Tirpitz is also quite good with the extra Gearings strapped to the sides.

I don't know why you wouldn't take her or her sister though.

As for the new Orleans, she has nothing going for her. Outclassed in almost everything. She only has long lasting radar. But with limited range, especially when pitted against the chapa.

Most tactic is sitting in smoke. There hydro has more usage than 6 km torps. Also Bismarck has better aaa

Players
3,130 posts
10,768 battles

Our clan make up for TeamBattles? Depends on what the boss wants to happen to be honest. (tier 8 battles)

CV

IJN CV is a 100% no brainer. To the point that i have never seen a Lex against me against another clan.  Its simply too flexible for Team Battles to be left out. What is, IMHO, harder is which layout to bring to the table.  I choose depending on what my Clan brings if that makes sense. i have always favoured 2-2-2 and Havant lost a game in the last 9 TB, even against a 3-1-2 (fingers crossed)

IF i have 2 Bensons on the team with fully kitted out with aa, then that 1 less plane becomes much less relevant. As most of your air battles occur over DDs, having one with Defensive aa evens the odds out a hell of a lot.  Tight him up, pop defensive aa, and before the other fighters get to you, that group is dead with minimum loss to your group. Sorted, you have a bigger gap to post your torps through. On the other hand, a team full of IJN DDs need protecting alot more as they cant swat planes spotting them up as much as a Benson can.  So 3-1-2 is a more defensive play.

Same applies to Cruisers, depending on what the map is and what the boss wants to do? Pile in all guns blazing (hydro and smoke) or hold off and play the long game (defensive aa and smoke).

Again, same for BBs.  Long game and stand off or pile in.

There are ships that i don't see at all in tier 8 TB:

1) Edinburgh - Just don't see them at all. Why? IMHO its because it hasn't got defensive fire and it is a close in and kill kinda ship.  Its not your best support ship like a Kut or Chappy, which can spam long range HE and stay safe. Its not versatile enough for TB, no HE hurts it in TB and the range compared to the Russian ones limits it.  Randoms you can get away with being spotted and run, in TB as soon as your spotted at a close range (compared to other CL/CA) you will have the whole world on you face.

2) The Amagi - Hummm.  I like the ship to be honest but its a CVs dream.  The bis can turn, the NC can swat planes, the Amagi can.....Do some of one, a tiny bit of the other and show alot of broadside? Its just not a great team ship if you want me to be honest.  NC gives your team a solid AA bubble from the start and the Bis hasn't got bad aa. The NC can bow tank and the Bis can hide until required.  The Amagi is a Mid/Long range sniper.  If the team pushes, it becomes fragile as it needs to turn to fire all its guns.  So does the Bis but at least that can angle whilst firing 10.4 km secondary over any given cap point.  Its a middle of the road ship that does well when chaos is taking place where it can snipe and pick off targets that arnt looking, guns are great as i remember.  TB are more organised and it suffers.

Plus, having 2 Nags at the back and you HAVE to have defensive aa on your cruisers, that's a given! Too easy picking for half descent CV players.

3) The mighty Mog - its like the other two ships.  Its not a bad ship on its own, but its just not a team player with a citadel you can hit from the moon.  CA are cruiser/BB killers (sort of), where CL are dd and plane hunters. CL are more team work orientated ships, CA are breed killers that do well ON THEIR OWN.  The enemy team loses a cruiser than its ok, its a loss but not the end of the world.  BBs will have a harder time as they havnt got more cover smoke and long range HE spam, but its not too bad.  You lose a DD then you have a massive disadvantage in TB! Short range guns (if i remember when i had it) doesn't help it one bit. 

4) Russian DDs - along with CVs, are the eyes and ears of the team.  Cap contesters and general pain in the grass.  To do this they need stealth, concealment, torps (range) and speed.  These DDs doesn't do well in some of these areas. The Kiev is a gun boat and the Ogn a torp boat, but concealment lets them both down and aren't agile enough.  They are DD killers, great.  But they get spotted far too easy and when that happens....Death.

Take to above with a pinch of salt to be honest.  I really don't play that much DDs at all, so have limited knowegeld of how hey really play.  Only how to sink them as a CV player (they turn like a brick, easy to hit). But i have never seen a fellow Clan member use Russian DD's in team Battles, and we have some very good DD players.

5) NO - What can this do that the Kut or Chappy cant do better. proper HE spam...Nope, Torps.....nope, Smoke.....Nope......Long range....Nope. Its the same at the Mog, its a CA not a CL which are less useful in TB.  To be brutally honest, not having smoke takes it out of the equation completely.  Teams rely on smoke and mirrors and this ship cant spin a good yarn in this department.    Its suffered the same as my Fav ship, the somewhat OP Cleveland, as smoke is now a complete part of the game, making it alot harder to use.

6) Lady Lex - I loved this ship being a CV player.  Its raw damage output (0-1-3) against an average CV player on randoms can be brutal.  The problem is when you face a good CV player with 2-2-2.  Its a HUGE problem as you can shut them down (good CV player) or make it extremely difficult (Better CV player).  If he brings a 3-1-2 to the party (3/4 of TB players)....Not a chance in hell fella. Its less useful for spotting (speed) and detection range doesn't help it.  

I would say an "average" set up for us would be: Depending on players (normally 9)

2 x Bensons (all rounder, defensive aa)

1 x Kag (torp and sealth, lone dd)

2 X NC or 2 X Bis, then one of the other

1 x Chappy (smoke, radar and spam)

1 or 2 X Kuts (smoke and spam, defensive aa)

1 X IJN CV (2-2-2)

Depending on what the boss wants then swapping chappies round for Kuts, like the NC and Bis. 

Tirps can be added for that close punch, but Bis are preferred (extra aa and hyrdo) as Team battles are more of a waiting game until the time presents its self.  Bis are fantastic area denial ship when positioned within 10.4 km of an given cap. Having 3 BBs of the same type, IMHO and others, isn't a great idea.  TB need a tab bit of flexibility even with BBs. If their teams starts to get around the sides of 3 NCs with no Tirps/Bis to plug the gap or stem their charge, then its lights out.  3 Bis and your long range sniping and general aa bubble suffers, with no NC to give you heavy fire support.  It almost forces you to play aggressively which, compared to wait and see happy camping, takes alot more organising to pull off. 

NC and Amagi are the same type of ship, lets be honest. The only thing different is the NC is better at point and shoot (bow on) and more aa to help teammates.  The Amagi shows broadside far more that a NC does.    

Just my thoughts on it and hope it helps m8 :tea_cap:

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Most tactic is sitting in smoke. There hydro has more usage than 6 km torps. Also Bismarck has better aaa

You misunderstand. My question was why he doesn't use the Bismark or even Tirpitz as battleships. Both are powerhouses. Bismark has scouting over the Tirpitz's short range damage potential. I'm just surprised that these ships weren't used.

Beta Tester
312 posts
4,176 battles

dont panic people this gunny chap is off his head atm he has actually put bismarcks in his line up he just doesnt like to admit that he's wrong

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,580 posts
18,272 battles

whennyou are planning a flanking move a group of Charles Kiev and a Fast BB can be quit effective