You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SuperEffective

Best anty BB line?

27 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
262 battles

So I want to take advantage of the high amount of BBs in games, and make a ship which is good vs them. I don't want to play CVs or other BB obviously. What do you guys advice? I'm thinking about Japanese cruisers, but I'm not convinced. Do they last longer than German cruisers? I was grinding this line, and feel bad reciving half hp hits from front from BBs. I played Japanese destroyers, but their reliance on torpedoes make games rather very fun or boring they relay much on matchmaking. Please share your thoughts :) Thanks

Beta Tester
2,287 posts
11,045 battles

I'd say RU or US DDs

Most of BBs nowdays instarepair a single fire so as soon as you get a new one or a torp hit so they flood, just point a finger at them and laugh while they die

• Cool 4

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

Do they last longer than German cruisers? I was grinding this line, and feel bad reciving half hp hits from front from BBs

that depends entirely on tier - high tier german cruisers are just about as tanky as cruisers get in this game (so they still go poof when caught broadside, but that's kind of unavoidable...)

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

US destroyers probably

or russian destroyers if you are feeling lucky and not get hit often. tho they are mostly fire damage, which gets repaired 100% but its annoying as hell to the battleships if you are burning them constantly :)

Beta Tester
542 posts
3,394 battles

Ru crusers. Burn burn burn. NOTHING except crazy luck can stop you to solo bbs.

crazy luck on their end lol. those ru cruisers are made of paper and a prime target for anyone in range to shoot them :trollface: 

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles

And thats why you use your superior range and gunprecision. On 17 k bs can not hit you precise while you can him. NOTHING in this game can burn and kill bs on regular basis as RU flametrowers. 

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
618 posts
9,990 battles

Battleships are good against other battleships.

German BBs with torps are good. You got speed, torps and armor.

But if you just want to farm BB damage, then you go russian and stay back.

Players
6 posts
262 battles

Battleships are good against other battleships.

German BBs with torps are good. You got speed, torps and armor.

But if you just want to farm BB damage, then you go russian and stay back.

Too many bbs out there. Don't want to be part o this 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,895 posts
19,717 battles

Too many bbs out there. Don't want to be part o this 

Welp, you're out of luck then.

DDs 

Guns take ages to kill a BB, while you can only hope that your target doesn't get massive pen damage on you. On the other hand torpedoes are extremely unreliable, you better hope that your target can't WASD and your torps aren't spotted by stray planes (or your target is one of those broken Germans with hydro). Meanwhile you realize that enemy DDs are a much bigger threat, making you focus on them instead.

in short, your BB killing power is completely in the hands of luck and RNG. And you're probably too busy killing/evading other DDs anyway.

Cruisers

Same with DDs. Guns still take ages to kill a BB, making you rely on fires (unless ofc you're in a RN CL), except now you're a prime target for him as well. Better pray he doesn't get stray citadels on you. At close range AP hits pretty hard, but the BB will gladly return the favor. And you will need a couple AP salvos to kill a BB. The BB needs one. You can ofc attempt to ambush or shoot from cover but then you better hope that nothing can spot you. You need to play far more carefully than you'll ever have to in a BB. Any mistake has a high chance of sending you straight back to port. Heck, even if you play flawlessly you can still take massive damage or get sunk.

So using a cruiser to sink a BB is more often than not rather unpleasant because it takes a long, long time or is very risky. And at any point RNGesus can just say "No" and get you killed.

CVs

If you want to instagib a BB, the following conditions must be met:

1. Your target must not have AA support.

2. Your target has not picked many AA skills/upgrades.

3. Your target is not one of those BBs that are an AA fortress.

4. Your planes must have sufficient survivability for the kill.

5. Your DBs must survive the approach, set fires and force DamCon.

6. Your TBs must survive the approach, do lots of damage and get a full duration flooding.

7. The enemy CV must not interfere during all of this.

Then you realize that killing BBs is uneconomical and ineffective so you go kill DDs instead.

See the pattern? If you want to kill a BB in any other class you either rely on luck/RNG or the BB must serve himself up to you on a silver platter.

Tl;dr: There is no quick, reliable way of killing a BB, unlike with every other class.

• Cool 3

Players
1,373 posts

Go Russian DDs, basically cruisers without citadels, so minus the major weakness, and annoy BBs into playing something else. No, you can't insta-delete anything usually, but most people simply go crazy after the third or fourth fire. Doesn't matter how much they can repair, people loose their wits under the constant

Edited

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to spamming.

Edited by VMX
  • Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Kill everything else first. Nuke the DD and Cruisers then you can team up and farm the BBs.

Players
310 posts
18,042 battles

Fletcher is my favourite for BB hunting,more so than Gearing. You have the concealment and guns to survive the early capping stage. The speed and torp reload to be be a constant menace to BBs. Fit RL to avoid other DDs and go make the game even worse by ruining the day of any BB who dares to push beyond his camping role. 

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

Best anti BB line is german BB line, lol (except T10 is ruled by Yamato)

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
409 posts
12,262 battles

We remember their era of relevance fondly. 

Bring back my Minekaze :(

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

I'd say the best anti bb ship are the German bbs. They have everything you need with the speed, maneuverability, armour, extra ships strapped to the sides and sonar to counter those pesky torpedoes.

But you don't want those... Uhm... Id say to go for Russian light cruisers without citadel then. Or Japanese dds if you feel especially lucky.

Players
1,438 posts

Best anti BB line is german BB line, lol (except T10 is ruled by Yamato)

Yep, best anti BB is in fact a BB.

Haven't played since Jan/Feb 17 time as love for the game dropped away. On top of the continuous string of nerfs to DDs I believe the new one is the bloom mechanics. DDs are now relegated to killing their own kind as their Alpha strike weapon (torps) are pretty much picked up by everything long before they reach the target, and that's if the target doesn't simply move.  You could always play the RU DDs as they are mini CAs really, but again probably not the best BB killer. DDs might have a good game but are not really consistent in the result (really good to really bad). They're a bit like flies buzzing around a BB, an annoyance but not likely to be around long enough to bother it.

Still hope you get enjoyment out of the game though! :honoring:

Players
502 posts
13,589 battles

I would say that the most dangerous thing for an isolated BB or group of BBs is a IJN torpboat and especially Ibuki/Akatsuki/Shiratsuyu and Shimakaze (don't know why but Kagero has a harder time).

Then it's true you can have game with very few damage if the conditions are bad (especially you're in the wrong lane and the enemy is fleeing you or planes hovering over you all game).

Now the other good solution is to take a long range Cruiser flamethrower. The French and JPN lines are quite good for that (not all of them, but most). The idea is that you shoot BBs at max range (15 to 19km). They have a hard time evading your shells when you can dodge theirs easier. Priority target is then compulsory. 

Players
1,373 posts

Go Russian DDs, basically cruisers without citadels, so minus the major weakness, and annoy BBs into playing something else. No, you can't insta-delete anything usually, but most people simply go crazy after the third or fourth fire. Doesn't matter how much they can repair, people loose their wits under the constant

Edited

This post has been edited by the moderation team due to spamming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia FYI (and FYI really means just FYI, no need or intent to discuss)
Edited by tenacious_torps