Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

A day in the offices of the makers of Mass Effect Andromeda

4 comments in this topic

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

A day in the offices of the makers of Mass Effect Andromeda

NEW

Hey director, the project is coming along much faster than we anticipated. We have finalized all the scripts, and the programmers have made a working first chapter for you to review! Thanks to the experienced teams brought over from the past Mass Effect games, we will also be able to finish this game about 9 months before schedule! 

D: Mhm... mhm... (leafing through papers) I'm glad we don't have to fire anyone to show that slow working will not be tolerated.

.. I ... am glad to be able to work for ...

D: (Cuts off) Wait, what is this. Divergent paths in character building? Key choices which will bring the player down completely different story lines? Cinematic quality scene building? Actual science? I mean, realistic complexities which are scientifically accurate? And this.... what is this... dynamically composed worldspace?

Ah, yes, I see you have reached the part where out programmers, artists and game designers have used their little free time to come together and made some wonderful work in expanding the possibilities for our game! It will surely be the greatest science fiction game of the decade!

D: No this is all wrong! I never told them to diverge from the original script? How much time did they spend on this?

Huh, I mean, they have ensured that this is not only compatible with the original script, but we have cross-checked with the different departments and

D: Do you know what you are talking about? Are you telling me that they spent precious time doing needless things which slows down the overall workrate of this game? Do you know how tight a schedule we have?

They have assured me that this will not cause

D: Now I know why you say you need another 5 months! To play out these little pet projects of yours on the company's money! Holding back the schedule of our entire company, just so you can include some ... (leafs through paper) free characterization scenes which will be fully animated, voiced, environmentally synchronized and all ...

No! We were absolutely following the orders of the original directions for another Mass Effect game! We didn't add a single extra feature that wasn't designed in the original Mass Effect games! Our schedule is already faster than the projected timeline which were used for the original games! We simply identified the key aspects which made the past games great and thrived to redesign them with modern technology and systems! You told us to "give it all we got", you promised us free reign in exploring the directions of ..

D: Naive! This is what I get for putting someone without executive experience in the supervisor position ... you programmers always think you know better than the people who have to actually run this company or ours. In your narrow-minded attempt to make a game which panders to your own likes and desires, you have completely turned against the players! The business statistics, industry-wide data, cross-industry data, all which is beyond your comprehension but which we have meticulously analyzed and painstakingly transcribed into clear, concise, simple directions for you to follow, yet you cannot even do something as simple as that! All those character faces, redesign them! Make the features more young and likening to teens and children! All those story paths, do you know how much pain it causes people to have to make decisions? Unify or cut them out! All that character development, you think you understand what it is like for people to go through in situations of that degree, but the roughness with which you attempt to present it is absolutely unacceptable! Streamline the objectives and the logic! God do I need to micromanage you people for every single little detail which is supposed to be your job?

Sir, with all due respect, I would just like to say, as you may have different conclusions than the team on some design directions, would you like me to arrange an emergency meeting with the different departments so that you may better describe your logic to the designers personally? I'm afraid that I cannot just like this make changes to the work agenda which is already underway...

D: Do. You. Seriously. Need me to explain every bit of logic for reasons which stem from overarching trends of which scales beyond your comprehension? You would like us all to lose our jobs and have to beg on the street, because we could not do something as simple as look out of our comfortable ivory towers to see the changing trends of this world, and change ourselves accordingly to what they demand of us?

Sir, I am not sure if you are serious or not ... the very spirit of being adaptive...

Enough. You are to shorten the project schedule by 49%. You are to take out anything which someone above our pegi rating cannot comfortably deal with, in other words "which they themselves are incapable of creating". You are to limit all assets to only those which were specified in the current game design. The only scientific accuracy you will need is a scientifically realistic visual representation of space. The only scaling and development you will need will be provided by our leveling department, numerical only....

Sir, please, if you would not listen to me, perhaps you would like to hear from the head of programming and the artistic director instead? Perhaps our scientific liaison?

... Did you just seriously suggest to bring this ... ... Fine. Please bring the vice supervisor to see me. He will be very happy to know that he just got a promotion.

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Later that evening ...

- Hey man, I probably shouldn't be spending money on alcohol now ... I'm officially unemployed.

-- It's on me. Our last night as co-workers. I'm sorry something like this happened ... To think that it could've been me if I was the one bringing in the report.

- Haha, nah, it's my fault. I might've gotten carried away. Why should I have given a damn about just another work project anyways. I'm just sad that all those ideas people came up with would go to waste...

-- No, it's not your fault. Hey, did you know, something the new supervisor overheard. Apparently, the reason the director wanted to discard all our face designs was that he thought young people like this new trend called anime, and anime faces look that way, so he wanted us to make the design of our faces like anime! 

- You're kidding. I thought it was because of "meticulous analysis of data". And scientific evidence on psychology, sociology, statistics, artistic design and rendering....

-- Nah, and you know what's the best?

- Best..?

-- He believed that by "hybridizing" the best features from otherwise completely different mediums, he could get the "best" of everything?

- This is so wrong on so many levels I don't even ...

-- He also vetoed any scientific content that he himself wasn't entirely sure of.

- I think he needs help.

-- Nah, everyone decided to go with it.

- What?

-- No, you see, we decided to make the game virtually embodying his ideals, in all its irony. We rewrote a complete script in 1% the time it usually takes for a script of that length, and he absolutely loved it. It's something about forced hybridizing of features, prejudice against outcomer ideals, uncanny face designs, arrogance, what happens to projects when you don't take science seriously enough, aesthetic bullheadedness, extremism, all the good stuff.

- And the joke completely flew over his head.

-- I know right? Ahahahaha...

- Ahahahaha so this game isn't so bad after all. hahahaha

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

In other news today, the Mass Effect franchise has been put on ice by EA for the time being and the lead studio for ME:A, BioWare Montreal, has been reverted back to a support studio to help other projects.

With the ME IP out of the picture for the foreseeable future, you think we may finally get a KotOR 3 or perhaps a Jade Empire 2?

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Square Enix also ditched studio IO interactive, maker of Hitman franchise. They are also disappointed by the lukewarm response to the new Deus Ex title, and may be downsizing the respective studios as well. All the while giving virtually unlimited budget to in-house programmes.

Perhaps they are annoyed that western games aren't moving millions of sales per year, nor have an avid fanbase which would swear, cry and pray by the names of the franchise.

But honestly, the new Deus Ex game was very meh. Felt like something even my university student council could've come up with. And the new Hitman, though nice, doesn't quite reach a potential which is could be gauged by Square Enix.

Also, the very moment you feel you are getting too old for this.. is when your supposedly "joke" post gets no response whatsoever. The sigh I am giving right now is literally long enough to circle around the block.

Sign in to follow this