Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
P2Win

This should never happen to battleships [detonation of another yamato]

66 comments in this topic

Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Sailing Hamster
777 posts

I disagree

• Cool 5

[CIRC]
Beta Tester
236 posts
3,049 battles

detonations of full HP ships when the shell doesn't even pen the citadel (or even hit the ship some times) definitely needs to be gotten rid of, that's not fun for anybody. It's purely a mechanic so that bad players occasionally get lucky (WG can't afford to lose all the potato players) and get decent results through RNG.

• Cool 1

Modder
1,691 posts
3,667 battles

i must admit i'm not 100% sure how detonation works in game, but i have just two points:

1. to occur, first requirement should be that the projectile or bomb has to reach magazine area (not just citadel), then rng can start the wheel of fortune... (is it like that in the game already? dunno)

2. give it some spectacular visuals as it should have...then i wouldnt mind to be blown up from time to time - for me the only purpose of this feature is immersion. so far it doesnt fulfill this goal

...but i cant even remember when i was last detonated, which indicates for me two things: it doesnt happen very often and it is not spectacular/remarkable enough

Edited by puxflacet
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles

I guess if they remove detonation...weekend people will have no fun. Still a stupid game mechanic.

Edited by P2Win

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

i must admit i'm not 100% sure how detonation works in game, but i have just two points:

1. to occur, first requirement is to reach magazine area (not just citadel) with ap shell, torpedo blast or bomb (so no he), then rng can start the wheel of fortune... (is it like that in the game already? dunno)

2. give it some spectacular visuals as it should have...then i wouldnt mind to be blown up from time to time - for me the only purpose of this feature is immersion. so far it doesnt fulfill this goal

...but i cant even remember when i was last detonated, which indicates for me two things: it doesnt happen very often and it is not spectacular/remarkable enough

Pretty sure its more complex in reality but a very basic description would be following:

If a shell hits and penetrates the citadel area (that includes main citadel and all auxiliary parts like case-mates that are not directly part of the citadel there is a fixed percentage chance that it will cause a detonation, module HP or armor have no impact on this. The chance is, i believe its somewhere between 0.5%-5% varying between ship classes (it was never made public afaik), and can be reduced by certain modules that effect the base chance, for example 5% Base chance -70% from module would end up at around 2% chance of detonation chance.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,072 posts

Sometimes, when game goes down the drain and I know in advance that my team will loose ... I would love to detonate. Because I am always running low on the damn detonation flags.

And I rarely sail my DDs without it.

• Cool 2

Modder
1,691 posts
3,667 battles

Pretty sure its more complex in reality but a very basic description would be following:

If a shell hits and penetrates the citadel area (that includes main citadel and all auxiliary parts like case-mates that are not directly part of the citadel there is a fixed percentage chance that it will cause a detonation, module HP or armor have no impact on this. The chance is, i believe its somewhere between 0.5%-5% varying between ship classes (it was never made public afaik), and can be reduced by certain modules that effect the base chance, for example 5% Base chance -70% from module would end up at around 2% chance of detonation chance.

sorry, i wasnt saying how it works, but how it should work imho...but thanks for the info

the big error from wg is that detonation is calculated just based on hits from whole citadel (and surroundings?). there should be specified magazine areas on the ship - shooting under the turrets would get completelly new meaning and detonation could have its skill aspect...but hit to engine room should just not cause detonation

Edited by puxflacet

Players
1,908 posts

Pretty sure there is no citadel at the middle of the pole sticking up from the stern of my Gaede. HE hit there today and i detonated. If it is though, something is not working as intended.

Or maybe it is. :unsure:

ata8OL9.jpg

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

I rather rarely experience being blown up, or blowing stuff up, with shells.

I seem to much more often see it happen due to a torpedo hit.

That strikes me as wrong, as I can't recall any occasion where this happened to a warship.

Sure, one torpedo in the wrong place can sink a ship, but cause its magazine to blow up?

That said, I kind of want this to stay in.

You already have the signals to completely remove the chance of this even happening, so you can use those for your higher tier ships, for instance.

And this thing happened, HMS Hood being but the most famous example.

Just wait until the add more animations for Yamato.

You will see the smoke cloud from the other side of the map!

Modder
1,691 posts
3,667 battles

will it ever happen? should have been right from the start, because as i said detonations right now have no point - they are neither immersion feature because they do not look spectacular nor skill based because their calculation is somewhat mysterious and seem completelly random

Edited by puxflacet

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

The real lulz starts when you get detonated by a HE round that doesn't even hit you.

Yes it's possible...

Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles

I rather rarely experience being blown up, or blowing stuff up, with shells.

I seem to much more often see it happen due to a torpedo hit.

That strikes me as wrong, as I can't recall any occasion where this happened to a warship.

Sure, one torpedo in the wrong place can sink a ship, but cause its magazine to blow up?

That said, I kind of want this to stay in.

You already have the signals to completely remove the chance of this even happening, so you can use those for your higher tier ships, for instance.

And this thing happened, HMS Hood being but the most famous example.

Royal Oak Scapa Flow torpedo cordite explosion... not instant but anyhow

Players
1,064 posts
4,944 battles

USS Juneau, RN Trento, the German battleship Pommern, were all "detonated" by torpedoes, and I'm surely missing many others. Those are just a few I can recall.

However the mechanic has to go. It's just there to make me quit playing high tier DDs when I run out of anti-deto flags until - oh! What a joy! - I get kicked out of a lower tier game because of 'fun and engaging' definition in Russia. Then I can play another 10 games in Tashkent, until the flags run out again. Detonate & repeat. Seems silly.

Players
2,240 posts
8,424 battles

Someone has to put here the gif of the Udaloi detonating a full hp Yamato with HE, I call that bs :sceptic:

EDIT: Found it

Bm3O90E.gif?noredirect

Also, this is what the wiki says about this "fun and engaging mechanic":

To cause a detonation to occur, damage needs to be dealt to the magazines, which are found underneath the primary turrets and/or primary artillery. In other words ships, like Novik, that have non-enclosed rifles behind blast shields have magazines located beneath the deck. Damage to the magazines can be caused by penetrating damage from direct AP hits or splash damage from HE shells or Torpedoes, if they hit close enough to them.

It should be noted that there is no situation in the game that warrants a 100% Detonation chance. With that said, certain actions or choices will increase the probability of Detonation; a few of them are highlighted below:

• As stated above, taking damage to the magazines will increase the chances of detonation occurring. When a magazine loses all of its hit-points, the chance of detonation will increase to its maximum native value (Note: this is still below 100%). Each ship has its own metric for calculating detonation chance based upon magazine hit-pool.
  • Therefore, by this logic, aircraft carriers can never be detonated since they have no magazine.
  • Each ship has its own armour-value for the magazines, therefore ships with thinner magazine armour will inherently have a higher detonation chance.
  • Mounting either India X-Ray or Juliet Whiskey Unaone signal flags will increase magazine detonation chance by 5% each.

Edited by Comodoro_Allande

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
409 posts
12,261 battles

"Therefore, by this logic, aircraft carriers can never be detonated since they have no magazine."

Err... I think you'll find CVs do have magazines!

From wiki... In aircraft carriers, the magazines are required to store not only the aircraft carrier's own defensive weapons, but all of the weapons for her warplanes, including rapid-fire gun ammunition, air-to-air missiles such as the Sidewinder missile, air-to-surface missiles such as the Maverick missile, Mk 46 ASW torpedoes, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, "dumb bombs", HARM missiles, and antiship missiles such as the Harpoon missile and the Exocet missile.

File:Animated gun turret with labels.gif

Nothing to do with CVs but I think it's a cool animated giff

Edited by iFax
  • Cool 2

Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles

"Therefore, by this logic, aircraft carriers can never be detonated since they have no magazine."

Err... I think you'll find CVs do have magazines!

From wiki... In aircraft carriers, the magazines are required to store not only the aircraft carrier's own defensive weapons, but all of the weapons for her warplanes, including rapid-fire gun ammunition, air-to-air missiles such as the Sidewinder missile, air-to-surface missiles such as the Maverick missile, Mk 46 ASW torpedoes, Joint Direct Attack Munitions, "dumb bombs", HARM missiles, and antiship missiles such as the Harpoon missile and the Exocet missile.

Naaaaaa all their bombs, torpedoes and Gasoline are kept in the whale boat towed at the stern
  • Cool 1

Players
1,373 posts

Why do people still bring up historical arguments in an arcade game? That's just silly. The only relevant question is if the mechanic adds something positive to the gameplay. It clearly doesn't though. To randomly take out a player from a team game is not only frustrating for the victim, but punishing to the entire team. The only point I can someone arguing in favor of detonations with a straight face is that it adds something unpredictable, but for that we already have other players, so wtf is the point? Just drop it and do so quietly, then wait a couple of patches if anybody even notices. let alone complains. I highly doubt it. 

• Cool 1

Modder
1,691 posts
3,667 battles

Why do people still bring up historical arguments in an arcade game?

which historical arguments? these are more like common sense arguments: hit into magazine does big boom

Edited by puxflacet

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles

I always thought u need to penetrate a magazine with a he round to detonate a ship, sine every time i played my nurberg i got blown up, i also had a case where i shot a aoba with he from my gremmy(have ifhe) he was bow on to me and i aimed at his bow, next thing booom, aoba detonated. 

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
720 posts
14,095 battles

The last 2 detonations i caused, both with my Moskva, were long range HE shells dropping on a Hindenburg. So weird, but funny to see it happen. I dont care to be detonated myself once in a while, and i agree it should give a bit more fireworks.

• Cool 1

[KINGS]
[KINGS]
Weekend Tester
475 posts
19,387 battles

What is wrong with detonations? In 9000 battles i detonated 72 times.

2 times in full HP tiewr 10 BBs (yamato and kurfurst). I was pissed off in first seconds, now i remember those detonations and i laugh.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,443 posts
7,206 battles

Detonation needs to be removed, I think the enemy yama would agree. Enjoy the replay.

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/36401-P2Win-Yamato-Tears_of_the_Desert

Yeah and those One-Shot-Salvos on my loved CAs and the Citadel entirely. Oh well, lets remove guns alltogether.

Seriously, detonations happened and are not that often, especially on BBs. How often did your Yamato detonate? Once in 1000 games?

Calm down, you had just a unlucky game.  Hood approves.

Edit: Checked my stats: 26 Detonations, thats a little less than 1% of my battles. And I play Cruisers for the most part which get citaed way more often than your Yamato I guess. You got Detonations in less than 0.9% of your battles. Dont see a big problem here.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
876 posts
5,413 battles

Once upon a time I sailed in my Yamato and had a Currywurst in my sights. I assume we thought about the same: Brawling time! I went in to brawl, our secondaries went of. We angled, maneuvered and ... boom I got detonated. Man that sucked.

But well it happens. So I took another ship and when my Yamato was ready, I took her for a second joyride, thinking I had enough bad RNG for an evening. Five minutes later I got detonated by a HE spamming DD. Yeah, fun and engaging.

Decided to stop playing then :-)

Sign in to follow this