Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
fallenkezef

Best secondary ships

39 comments in this topic

[THROW]
Players
234 posts
12,757 battles

German battleship line, particularly the Bismark and Tirpitz 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,081 posts
11,129 battles

Bismarck, for obvious reasons.

But I've have good success with the Gneisenau. Top kek 128mm guns have 1/4th caliber rules on HE pen

Tack on IFHE, and you can literally damage anything that's not belt armor and 50mm armored deck.

Someone did a test of it with the Grosse Kurrywurst, and the secondaries absolutely melted a Yamato.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,091 battles

Mikasa?

ya never get into close enough range to use em before either a: your burned to death or b: your full of holes from torpedo hits

best builds are german bbs tier 8 upwards and also American bbs can be quite nice as secondary builds

Players
366 posts
8,547 battles

Mikasa?

Mika actually has, relative to tier, a great secondary battery. But in the T3 matches which seem to be all Mikasa gets to see, she's so completely outclassed by even stock CAs and BBs she's virtually unplayable; her main battery is too weak, inaccurate and slow-traversing to count for anything, and her secondaries are so short-ranged they make no difference. 

Now Satsuma would be funny, still only 4x 305mm main battery but she had 12x 254mm secondaries - almost like having Nassau's main battery as secondaries - and another 12x 119mm and 12x 76mm as secondaries (stats from R.A. Burt's 'Japanese Battleships 1897-1945')...that would be hilarious. 

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

This may sound insane, anybody ever look into a secondary build for RN CLs? A close range ambush build?

Beta Tester, Players
279 posts
7,582 battles

This may sound insane, anybody ever look into a secondary build for RN CLs? A close range ambush build?

For the lolz, maybe.. But other than this, there is probably MUCH more useful skills to pick than investing points into puny guns that won't really threaten anything else than a destroyer (what your main guns will do better anyway).

Bismarck, for obvious reasons.

But I've have good success with the Gneisenau. Top kek 128mm guns have 1/4th caliber rules on HE pen

Tack on IFHE, and you can literally damage anything that's not belt armor and 50mm armored deck.

Someone did a test of it with the Grosse Kurrywurst, and the secondaries absolutely melted a Yamato.

Would it be worth it for a Tirpitz/Bismarck/Scharnhorst, with all the 105mm they have?

Beside this, Warspite would probably be a viable choice for a 7km secondary range, if only Manual Secondaries gave it a higher accuracy bonus than 15%. :(

The 15% bonus for sub-Tier 7 that jumps up to 60% at Tier 7+ is a bit.. weird and disappointing.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

Izumo/Yamato and to a certain extend Nagato.

Warspite can be viable with secodary build, too.

you living in the year 2015 or what :D

Nagato's AP secondaries are amusing, but horribly ineffective against anything that either angles or is a BB - and Nagato is hardly good at brawling anyway...

Players
1,252 posts
9,423 battles

I run BFT+AFT on my Belfast (because the captain is kitted for Warspite and Belfast serves are trainer), and it gets occasional secondary kills. Mainly because with the smoke+radar kit you want to get close to DD's anyway. So they're nice and fit the general play style. I believe you can get the secondaries out to 7.6 km like on Warspite, which is a good chunk of the radar range. I'm not sure I'd go with manual secondaries though -- there are just too useful other skills for that ship.

Otherwise, tier for tier the strongest secondary ship is IMO Nassau (and König Albert which has the ~same secondaries). That's if you're willing to consider the low tiers. The Mikasa -- a div mate runs it, and I am not impressed. I feel the secondaries are too short ranged -- for the tier Nassau/K.Albert have better ones.

Apart from low tiers, I'm sure the answer is those high-tier Germans with stronk baseline secondaries and who get the full benefit from the manual secondaries skill.

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Nagato's AP secondaries are amusing, but horribly ineffective against anything that either angles or is a BB - and Nagato is hardly good at brawling anyway...

That is why I put "to a certain extend" into the sentence. :P

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

I run BFT+AFT on my Belfast (because the captain is kitted for Warspite and Belfast serves are trainer), and it gets occasional secondary kills. Mainly because with the smoke+radar kit you want to get close to DD's anyway. So they're nice and fit the general play style. I believe you can get the secondaries out to 7.6 km like on Warspite, which is a good chunk of the radar range. I'm not sure I'd go with manual secondaries though -- there are just too useful other skills for that ship.

Otherwise, tier for tier the strongest secondary ship is IMO Nassau (and König Albert which has the ~same secondaries). That's if you're willing to consider the low tiers. The Mikasa -- a div mate runs it, and I am not impressed. I feel the secondaries are too short ranged -- for the tier Nassau/K.Albert have better ones.

Apart from low tiers, I'm sure the answer is those high-tier Germans with stronk baseline secondaries and who get the full benefit from the manual secondaries skill.

I dont see manual secondaries as a useful skill, especialy in warspite

Players
1,252 posts
9,423 battles

A division mate of mine runs a full secondary build on the Nagato. The results are oftentimes hilarious.

Nagato_secondaries.jpg

I think the T7 MM is nowadays so friendly you can get away with some harebrained stuff. I'm planning to put a full secondary build on my Colorado. Mainly because I can't figure out what else to do with that ship.

Players
341 posts
6,911 battles

My Nagato is full secondary build because it was the first battleship I got with decent secondary range, back when game was first released. Izumo seems quite good for a secondary build though, at least that's one good thing I can say about that ship.

[TACHA]
Players
1,432 posts
15,907 battles

I start quite a few fires with the secondaries on the Fiji. I sometimes use the flag to increase range but obviously not the increased fire risk!

Agree that Bismark/Tirpitz are monsters with secondary build though.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

A division mate of mine runs a full secondary build on the Nagato. The results are oftentimes hilarious.

Nagato_secondaries.jpg

I think the T7 MM is nowadays so friendly you can get away with some harebrained stuff. I'm planning to put a full secondary build on my Colorado. Mainly because I can't figure out what else to do with that ship.

oh, I'm running full secondary Nagato as well - not because its effective but because its funny^^
  • Cool 2

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

I start quite a few fires with the secondaries on the Fiji. I sometimes use the flag to increase range but obviously not the increased fire risk!

Agree that Bismark/Tirpitz are monsters with secondary build though.

Got accused of cheating doing that. This guy spammed chat about me being banned for "hacking, no He on Brit ships". Made me smile

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Scharnhorst would be another good for brawling when circumstances allow it.

Besides German secondaries and torps its main guns have faster traverse than in Gremyashchy.

[ENUF_]
Beta Tester
303 posts
17,013 battles

I tried it already with Leander (without manual secondaries) and Edinburgh (with manual secondaries). It's not the best build but it's viable for sure. And it's the the most fun by far. 

The reasons why it's a viable build:

- little difference between detection range and secondary range (9.0 km and 7.6 km) making it easy to get into secondary range

- smoke which will let you use your secondaries for long periods of time while being quite safe

- while you don't have HE for your main artillery you can create fires pretty frequently with your secondaries

- you are a cruiser and nobody will expect or fear your secondaries which can be very powerful and accurate when fully skilled

- with british cruisers you want to get close anyway. Good secondaries will give you an even better advantage at close range

The biggest amount of secondary damage in my Edinburgh was 45k by fires and 10k by secondaries while having 150 secondary hits. 

Post #38:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/64601-t8-leichter-kreuzer-edinburgh/page__st__20

Players
2,588 posts
11,389 battles

The Missouri. Cause while everyone expects German BBs from tier 8 on to have 10 km secondaries, and the Izumo and Yamato to a certain extent, no one expects a USN BB's secondaries to start shooting you at 9.1 km. Coupled with radar, it is somewhat effective at harassing/killing DDs that come to close and finish off low health ships:P

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

I tried it already with Leander (without manual secondaries) and Edinburgh (with manual secondaries). It's not the best build but it's viable for sure. And it's the the most fun by far. 

The reasons why it's a viable build:

- little difference between detection range and secondary range (9.0 km and 7.6 km) making it easy to get into secondary range

- smoke which will let you use your secondaries for long periods of time while being quite safe

- while you don't have HE for your main artillery you can create fires pretty frequently with your secondaries

- you are a cruiser and nobody will expect or fear your secondaries which can be very powerful and accurate when fully skilled

- with british cruisers you want to get close anyway. Good secondaries will give you an even better advantage at close range

The biggest amount of secondary damage in my Edinburgh was 45k by fires and 10k by secondaries while having 150 secondary hits.

Aye, cane up with the idea after a frog ship charged my Fiji in smoke. The resulting duel got me a cqb

Sign in to follow this