Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EdiJo

Penalized with 19 pinky games for 1 TK torpedo ?!

47 comments in this topic

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

Really? I just wanted to use +200% bonus to push my (now-) hopeless Zuiho a bit, so I entered co-op with her. 

It is always easy +1.5-2k exp, without having to "play" against "perfectly balanced" manually driven T6 carriers or vs Bogue for which Zuiho planes (without strafing ability) are just food.

But it happened that friendly "human-driven" Kongo caught one of my poorly "auto-dropped" torps.

It wasn't a detonation, yet this one single aerial torpedo caused ... 27500 damage!  WHY? No flood, no nothing.:ohmy:

Ijzl8QS.png

And... somehow... for that one torpedo I got penalized with, vnimaniye: 19 PINK GAMES.

dKOX28k.png

Anybody has any possible explanation? I was pinky a few times in my career, but always it was 5 games, not 19... :nerv_fish:

WTF happened?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

But it happened that friendly "human-driven" Kongo caught one of my poorly "auto-dropped" torps.

It wasn't a detonation, yet this one single aerial torpedo caused ... 27500 damage!  WHY? No flood, no nothing.:ohmy:

It was a detonation, trust me. WG doesnt have the curtsey of at least handing out the flags or medals for it. So if you get detonated/detonate somebody in co-op there is no immediate way to tell; and in co-op even the usual excuse: "Mount the flags you get from it", simply doesnt apply.

Edited by havaduck
  • Cool 3

[TOXIC]
Players
4,715 posts
11,987 battles

It was a detonation, trust me. WG doesnt have the curtsey of at least handing out the flags or medals for it. So if in you detonate/detonate somebody in co-op there is no immediate way to tell; and in co-op even the usual excuse: "Mount the flags you get from it", simply doesnt apply.

This.

Or, to put it a bit more clearly: the game doesn't actually give a "detonation" message - what we see and interpret as such is actually the information about detonation achievement received by the one detonated (that's why it's green for allies detonating and red when this happens to the enemy).

Since co-op just doesn't award achievements - this one included - the detonation in co-op simply blows someone up without any information as to wtf just happened.

Edited by eliastion
  • Cool 1

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

More weird things happen in pinkyland:

I played 3 games. Started 2nd before 1st ended. Didn't decrease the counter correctly. 3rd game still shows "17 pinky games left", despite me not doing anything pinky in 3 games, so 19-3 should be 16 :sceptic:

Game 1 (Konig):

EVo1ACz.png

Game 2 (Fuso):

wopwrJb.png

Game 3 (Fuso):

wR8gkwu.png

Am I missing something, or is it just the quality WG software... :hiding:

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

It was a detonation, trust me. WG doesnt have the curtsey of at least handing out the flags or medals for it. So if you get detonated/detonate somebody in co-op there is no immediate way to tell; and in co-op even the usual excuse: "Mount the flags you get from it", simply doesnt apply.

This.

Or, to put it a bit more clearly: the game doesn't actually give a "detonation" message - what we see and interpret as such is actually the information about detonation achievement received by the one detonated (that's why it's green for allies detonating and red when this happens to the enemy).

Since co-op just doesn't award achievements - this one included - the detonation in co-op simply blows someone up without any information as to wtf just happened.

OK. I am not into co-op too much, it seems WG doesn't want to hand too many medals. But this only explains 27k for 1 torp. Why suddenly 19 games conviction for that? :amazed:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

OK. I am not into co-op too much, it seems WG doesn't want to hand too many medals. But this only explains 27k for 1 torp. Why suddenly 19 games conviction for that? :amazed:

Dont know - I am not pink often enough ( :trollface: ) to know a pattern.

I played 3 games. Started 2nd before 1st ended. Didn't decrease the counter correctly. 3rd game still shows "17 pinky games left", despite me not doing anything pinky in 3 games, so 19-3 should be 16 :sceptic:

Usually this is due to having started at least 2 games before the first one finished.

Example:

Started game A -> Counter 18.

Started game B while A was still underway -> Counter 18.

Game A finishes -> 18 -1 = Counter 17.

Game B finishes -> 18 -1 = Counter 17.

However this is afaik erroneously displayed only, the server should have still taken account of those games correctly, so this means after game C, started after Game B ended, you should see a 15 provided that you dont to anything pinkie-ish. :hiding::trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

Dont know - I am not pink often enough ( :trollface: ) to know a pattern.

Usually this is due to having started at least 2 games before the first one finished.

Example:

Started game A -> Counter 18.

Started game B while A was still underway -> Counter 18.

Game A finishes -> 18 -1 = Counter 17.

Game B finishes -> 18 -1 = Counter 17.

However this is afaik erroneously displayed only, the server should have still taken account of those games correctly, so this means after game C, started after Game B ended, you should see a 15 provided that you dont to anything pinkie-ish. :hiding::trollface:

I also thought it is only a "display error". That's why I showed the third game, which in case of "display glitch" would give "16", but there is still 17. 

Update: I just finished next game, after re-logging to the server (nice 7v7...) - although in this game my Fuso had some close-touch with careless friendly Konigsberg, so the counter didn't decrease. Yet - it is 17, not 16.

Twm4ZFM.png

My guess is that the bug may be related to "day change"... 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

Well in that case:  I have no idea. I guess you were right with WG programming; so this thing, as simple as programming a damn counter may be, WG still got it wrong - must be yet another example like stronk-carrier-UI and completely-balanced-empty-chat.

btw: Be careful, ramming damage will usually only not-decrease the counter. Doing some damage like a stray shell might add a game or two. :trollface:

Edited by havaduck

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

btw: Be careful, ramming damage will usually only not-decrease the counter. Doing some damage like a stray shell might add a game or two. :trollface:

omg. Nice conviction for one "automatic" torp in co-op. :hide_turtle:

It's a pity that I didn't keep clean record so there is an additional unknown factor :aqua:

Players
2,580 posts
11,389 battles

More weird things happen in pinkyland:

Game 1 (Konig):

EVo1ACz.png

Game 2 (Fuso):

wopwrJb.png

Game 3 (Fuso):

wR8gkwu.png

Am I missing something, or is it just the quality WG software... :hiding:

No one bump into you or you bumping into anyone during those matches? 

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts

Op is right, two battles on the go doesn't decrease the total by two. I noticed it last week during my spell as a pinky. I had 7 battles to play so rattled them off in co-op as quick as possible....took me 10 battles due to starting a few before the previous had finished. No ramming, loose shots or anything. 

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

Ouch. I put 3 torps into an ally and killed it. Only got 5 pink matches and 80FXP lost. But it was the first time in hundreds of matches so maybe there was some leniency because of that, or it's randomized.

Edited by MoveZig

Players
211 posts
11,634 battles

Actually the number increases when you teamkilled more often. So it starts with 3 games then the third time 5 times and then going up (but i never got to after 5 times so seeing 19 means there is some truth in my statement)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players
495 posts
5,291 battles

bumping into other ships does infact increase he games you have pink for. I got pink once for what was supposed to be for 5 games, turn into 8 because a couple clan mates had a giggle and bumped me. just for the lulz.

Players
4,486 posts
7,604 battles

Ouch. I put 3 torps into an ally and killed it. Only got 5 pink matches and 80FXP lost. But it was the first time in hundreds of matches so maybe there was some leniency because of that, or it's randomized.

I'm going to guess that the TK system treats damage from ship torpedoes differently to damage from guns due to the far higher fault in the case of the latter, so if you'd instead put 3 BB shells into the citadel of a friendly cruiser you'd likely be looking at a far longer TK penalty.

I can only think that in the OP's case the game treats air dropped torpedoes like guns, which is a bit mad in the case of a T5 ship where the weapons can only be auto dropped.

The other problem is that the system punishes according to the amount of damage caused but takes no account of random events such as detonations so a single stray shell can end up being treated like a full aimed salvo if RNG is against you. 

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

There is indication of explosions in coop, however, only the icon in the killfeed does so.

kFygL1w.png

The TK system seems to be borked, I remember having the same idea as havaduck, so the counter screws up if you enter in a new match while the other still lasts, but when last time I had the beautiful opportunity to do some penance, I was very cautious to either wait for every match to end before I exit, and also not to even touch any friendly - yet, as usual, the 5 match pinkness lasted for 6. Tried my best to understand why - had no success.

• Cool 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,078 posts
11,116 battles

The TK system is borked beyond belief.

I literally never shoot at allies, and extremely rarely bump into anyone, doing less than 10 damage if ever it happens.

But sometimes, perhaps one in 300 games, I make a mistake using very slow torpedoes, and an ally gets hit by one.

Mea culpa, apologies all around, shame famiry and commit sudoku. 

But I find it perhaps a bit much that for a single accident, the overwhelming majority of the times at low tier, hitting only once, dealing only 3-5k damage, not even killing the person, and instant pink for 5-10 games.

• Cool 2

Players
1,418 posts
10,964 battles

No one bump into you or you bumping into anyone during those matches? 

Nope (except for the last one). 0 pinky damage.

Op is right, two battles on the go doesn't decrease the total by two. I noticed it last week during my spell as a pinky. I had 7 battles to play so rattled them off in co-op as quick as possible....took me 10 battles due to starting a few before the previous had finished. No ramming, loose shots or anything. 

So that would confirm that WG can't into simple game counters :bajan:

I've been pinky quite a few times before, and as far as my memory serves it always was 5 games.

Actually the number increases when you teamkilled more often. So it starts with 3 games then the third time 5 times and then going up (but i never got to after 5 times so seeing 19 means there is some truth in my statement)

I don't remember when the last time happened ...  maybe a week ago?  I never noticed any step-up in assigned number of pinky games.

bumping into other ships does infact increase he games you have pink for. I got pink once for what was supposed to be for 5 games, turn into 8 because a couple clan mates had a giggle and bumped me. just for the lulz.

Too bad I couldn't avoid that careless Konigsberg (I was in a BB, turning under fire, he was slowing down before my bow...). Anyway, the whole thing seems more sh##ty then, because I remember an old case when some moron bumped into my pinky Nassau in his DD intentionally through the whole game. WG doesn't care, it seems?

I'm going to guess that the TK system treats damage from ship torpedoes differently to damage from guns due to the far higher fault in the case of the latter, so if you'd instead put 3 BB shells into the citadel of a friendly cruiser you'd likely be looking at a far longer TK penalty.

I can only think that in the OP's case the game treats air dropped torpedoes like guns, which is a bit mad in the case of a T5 ship where the weapons can only be auto dropped.

The other problem is that the system punishes according to the amount of damage caused but takes no account of random events such as detonations so a single stray shell can end up being treated like a full aimed salvo if RNG is against you. 

Quite stupid assumption from WG then. It was one stray automatic torpedo. I didn't even have much to say where this will be launched, after this bloody circle went yellow - and I am not that great CV player anyway, that's why I chose co-op ffs.

19 pinky games for that? Wrong counter making it 20? Why not sending me to gulag right away :facepalm:

There is indication of explosions in coop, however, only the icon in the killfeed does so.

kFygL1w.png

The TK system seems to be borked, I remember having the same idea as havaduck, so the counter screws up if you enter in a new match while the other still lasts, but when last time I had the beautiful opportunity to do some penance, I was very cautious to either wait for every match to end before I exit, and also not to even touch any friendly - yet, as usual, the 5 match pinkness lasted for 6. Tried my best to understand why - had no success.

I didn't notice, probably you're right. Though counting games played shouldn't be that hard, I think, and the counter should be corrected in my 3rd game :sleep_fish:

Beta Tester
656 posts
7,221 battles

It is strange to get 19 pink battles for a CoOp team kill.

I quickly wanted to look up the official TK rules on the forum, but when inside the EULA the TK link took me to a page where World of Tanks TK was discussed with "Blue" status.

Any moderator or Warship people can point us to the official rule description of the TK system in place in WoWs?

[ALONE]
Modder
2,173 posts
13,726 battles

Everytime you get pink, the pink-time will last longer. 

So while the game gets older, expect more pinky players.

But who cares, it has become so common, nowadays nobody cares about pink players.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

nowadays nobody cares about pink players.

I wouldnt say that. If some idiot is pink and did enough damage so his fabulous second rowing into my broadside on a enemy out twice the torp range does reflect damage to him, he can definitely expect a comment from me about said second rowing.
Edited by havaduck

[TOXIC]
Players
4,715 posts
11,987 battles

Everytime you get pink, the pink-time will last longer. 

So while the game gets older, expect more pinky players.

But who cares, it has become so common, nowadays nobody cares about pink players.

Your premise is not true. Yes, the subsequent penalties are more severe but that only works in relatively quick succession - I know I myself got pink a couple times already, last time just this week (well, last week now, since we have a monday) and it is just on 5-count this time too. Considering that I mainly play DDs (although more gunboats than torpboats usually), I'm probably in more danger of scoring high team damage than the average player - and I still don't really see the penalties getting longer.

So, basically, the longer penalty is unlikely to start stacking for normal players - it takes having the teamdamage/teamkilling problem unreasonably often, suggesting high level of carelessness (esp. with torps) or outright ill will... so I don't expect the pink fraction of the playerbase to grow much - and, in fact, those caught in perma-pink or near-perma-pink are likely to be exactly the people we'd like to see pink permanently.

PS: And yes, people don't care much about pinks but that's a design decision: there's little you can actively do to a pink player (unlike in WoT a teamkiller is still considered a teammate and killing him will make you pink) while, at the same time, what the pinkie can do to you is severely limited (damage reductions and reflections). Pinkness is a mild warning coupled with automatic rules imposed to limit the harm a pinkie can inflict on his teammates, be it out of stupidity or ill will.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts

Pink CV's is not a punishment, they are just flat out cool.   Don't sweat it.

Sign in to follow this